Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BF2142 Beta Testing Begins

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Ponster wrote:
    The mech reminds me of the mechs in Mechwarrior.

Are we talking mech 3 or mech 4 in terms of control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ponster wrote:
    I tested the 1.4 beta patch for about 4 weeks. Sent concise, constructive posts to the devs at DiCE and got chosen for the VIP team by the admins at EA UK forums and Colin Clarke the DICE Global Community Manager.

Luck really as there were only 500 or so of us chosen that didn't have to pass by the FP subscribed system.
    That's what I like to hear.

Nice one mate smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How can you have mechs without lasers!? I'm upset and confused...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ponster;

As our newly elected 2142 representative I firmly believe you should be spending alot more time telling us poor mortals about 2142!

What else do you like?
    How do you find the different classes?

Ta

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

There are 4 classes of soldier :

Assault, Engineer, Support and Recon.

Here are most of the unlocks. I've left out the ones that I haven't found yet.

Assault Unlocks

Defibrillator (yes, the assualt guy is alos a medic !)
    Smoke Grenade
    Baur H-AR (Heavy Assault Rifle)
    Voss L-AR (Light Assault Rifle)
    PK-74 AR-Rocket (attaches to Assault Rifle)

Engineer Unlocks :

Koenig H-AVR: (Heavy Anti-Vehicle Rifle)
    PDS-1 (personal UAV for engineers that displays vechicles to all squad members
    Motion Mine (AT mine) - weaker than BF2 mines but they do track targets.
    EMP Mine
    AV-18 Anti-Vehicle weapon (haven't unlocked it yet).
    Mitchell SAAW Personal AA rocket

Support Unlocks

EMP Grenade
    Shotgun
    Ganz HMG: (Heavy Machine Gun) (gets more accurate the more you fire it)
    IPS Shield:

Recon Unlocks

Lambert Carbine
    Heavy Sniper Rifle
    RDX Demopak (fancy name for C4)
    Claymore
    IT-33 Optical Active Camoflage
    Scope Stabilizer

Unlockable for all (unlock once for every class)

FRG-1 grenade
    Sprint boosts

Squad Leader:

SLSB
    Squad leader spawn beacon
    SD-8 Accipiter
    Gun drone
    ???- It's a personal UAV. can't remember the name.

The important thing to remember is that there are unlock 'trees' and 'tiers'. In order to unlock the heavy snipers rifle you need to have the medium first. that we're used to with BF2 but we also now have a notion of 'unlock trees'. Each class has about 6 unlocks split up into 2 trees so you can unlock a claymore which gives you the right to unlock the medium sniper rifle and then the heavy. This is for the sniper profile. Someone else with the same kit (recon) can decide to unlock the claymore and the camoflage tree first making them more of a spec-op. Of course with enough points you can unlock everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

i just cant see this game working in any kind of competitive format. I'm led to believe that unlocks will be avaliable even during locked games, I really hope this isnt so as it will just be a game for the pub-allstars.

Unranked servers have no unlocks available atm.

Shouldn't be any problem for clans. Even if all the unlocks were available you just say 'no unlocks'. Someone is found using them and the clan gets kicked from league.

Ponster wrote:
    Ganz HMG: (Heavy Machine Gun) (gets more accurate the more you fire it)

Say wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Zillah wrote:
    Say wha?

*ominous whispering voice*it's the future

• Advertisement

lmao

Zillah wrote:
    Say wha?

Yep. You heard it. Supply guy, lies down and directs support fire. Up close the thing is useless. Targets at more than 20 yards don't stand a chance. The more you fire, the tighter the aiming circles get, the more accurate it gets, until you run out of ammo.

But...thats completely ridiculous...

Who cares, it's wonderful !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It sounds beautiful!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ponster wrote:
    The more you fire, the tighter the aiming circles get, the more accurate it gets, until you run out of ammo.
    So... the total opposite o reality, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Ponster wrote:
    Yep. You heard it. Supply guy, lies down and directs support fire. Up close the thing is useless. Targets at more than 20 yards don't stand a chance. The more you fire, the tighter the aiming circles get, the more accurate it gets, until you run out of ammo.

Who the fcuk came up with that idea ? :eek:

"Right lads, we need a brand new never before used idea, YOU !! Johnson throw one at me"

Johnson: "Eh....Um....how about...a weapon usless up close, but deadly at long ranges. Kinda like a sniper rifle, but with 200+ rounds and fully automatic oh and lets throw in some sprint boots for a few sh1ts and giggles ?"

"Johnson, that is a horrible idea, but who gives a fcuk ? Certainly not us !!!"

EA these days, christ.

For those that dont know the game is set in the future...reality doesnt really come into it.....

Its also in Beta so it all could change.

Personally I like the idea, it means the Supply guy cant run around carrying his support like gun like an assault rifle and actually has to set up position to get the most out of his gun. It also means he is very vulnerable from all other sides while he directing his fire.

For those that dont know the game is set in the future...reality doesnt really come into it.....

Thats stupid, of course reality comes into it. Do you think the game would be as enjoyable if it included dark-matter proto-guns and galactic inversion tasers? (They deliberately don't make sense, just like a gun that gets more accurate the more it shoots.)

Personally I like the idea, it means the Supply guy cant run around carrying his support like gun like an assault rifle and actually has to set up position to get the most out of his gun.

That's my thinking too. You can't just drop and whip out your PKM and start sniping people. The support guy actually lays down support fire.

It also means he is very vulnerable from all other sides while he directing his fire.

Tsk, tsk...you forgot about my portable anti-infantry senerry drone :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

A gun that gets more accurate as it is fired could be made.

This is important......I am not saying the one in the new BF could do it as i don't even know what it looks like.

Ok the main reason a gun being fired on full auto becomes inaccurate is recoil and to a lesser extent the barrel heating up but we'll concentrate on recoil.

So to improve accuracy recoil has to be suppressed. On a gun being held by a human this is pretty hard to do, not impossible by any means but very tough .

On a gun mounted on some form of fancy turret or tri-pod then it is totally possible with the right control system and damping. The tri-pod or turret would have some form of electronically controlled damper to smooth out the effects of recoil.

If you think i am crazy the suspension on quite a few BMWs (new 5 series) and Mercs works in the same way. At low speed the car has soft suspension to give a comfy ride. When you floor it the car stiffens the suspension to give better handling at higher speeds.

• Advertisement

An imaging system that detects where the last bullet went and adjusts targeting for the next round? Possible in the future?

Do you think the game would be as enjoyable if it included dark-matter proto-guns and galactic inversion tasers?
    Yes why not, espeically if I could mount them on my Mech.

Who cares if it gets more accuate the more it fires if this is counteracted with a negative effect.

Everything should be balanced and I think EA do a great job with that. No class / soldier / vehicle is overpowered. They all have their weekness.

With 2142 I personally dont have a notion what the actual gameplay is like but I feel assured by my faith in EAs BF2 record that it will all balance out.

Vegeta wrote:
    A gun that gets more accurate as it is fired could be made.

Right so it could stay accurate. Doesn't explain why it gets more accurate.
    Ponster wrote:
    An imaging system that detects where the last bullet went and adjusts targeting for the next round? Possible in the future?

Yeah, but with that sort of technology you could just as easily have it track the target itself so it starts off on maximum accuracy.
    Who cares if it gets more accuate the more it fires if this is counteracted with a negative effect.

Everything should be balanced and I think EA do a great job with that. No class / soldier / vehicle is overpowered. They all have their weekness.

I'm not saying it won't be fun or that its not balanced, im just saying that its completely ridiculous. Which it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Are we talking mech 3 or mech 4 in terms of control?

Only you Ditch :rolleyes:

2142 sounds well good allright but i dont think ill be buying it just cause its part of the BF series...

I think id want to have a bit of a play before i shelled out about 50 or 60 of my hard earned spondoolicks for somthing that has every potential to be a big mech driving lemon.

Advertisement