Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL with NetGear DG834GT / 802.11g

• 17-08-2006 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Current Situation:
    We have Eircom ADSL - running without any problems for the last 2 years.
    We need to go Wireless

The Problem:
    I have followed the instructions to the best that I can to set up the "NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router", model no. DG834GT with 802.11g

I simply can't get it to make the ADSL connection. If anyone has managed to get this working then I'd greatly appreciate if you can tell me if there were any tricks involved that meant deviating from the original instructions.

I can have the exact error description (or wherever I get no response) tomorrow. But the short of it is, the light indicating the ADSL Connection internet does not turn solid green.

When we go back to using the supplied Eircom Modem, the connection is picked up instantly.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to broadband as the problem is with broadband connection, not with the wireless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is the Netgear picking up a dsl signal at all?

This should show up on the router status page.

Have you inserted the following settings correctly?

Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

dub45 -

Your suggested fix might hold the answer.

Is "eircom" and "broadband1" the required username and password for all eircom connections? I was entering our given username and password for the usual connection settings.

All other settings were as you specified.

Failing this irlrobins' suggestion: is it just a matter of switching to broadband with eircom and that fixes it?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Collumbo wrote:
    Failing this irlrobins' suggestion: is it just a matter of switching to broadband with eircom and that fixes it?
    eh, I meant I was moving this thread to the broadband forum as the problem is not a wireless issue but a broadband one.

doh. of course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

I have the same model of router, when i first got it, it wouldnt pick up the dsl sync at all, i updated the firmware and it's working perfectly now.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102796.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have this router and had the same problem.
    IMPORTANT:
    You HAVE to use the included CAT5 network cable to configure the modem for the first time or else you will the connection problems you are having now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

Had the same problems, had other netgear routers without any problems. This one just would not make a dsl connection the first time using unless i left it on overnight. I still leave the router on all the time, excpet on 2-3 occasions and it did redetect my adsl connection immediately. But just in case it doesnt i leave it on all the time.

Thought it was just my router but this seems an issue with this netgear model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Try using PPPoA instead of PPPoE - it works for me (BT Ireland ADSL)
    Much more stable than PPPoE - I'd also advise you to update the firmware too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

the correct setting s for eircom broadband are:

Username: eircom
    Password:broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194 Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

• Advertisement

Many thanks everybody. The bugfix sorted out the ADSL connection instantly.

Advertisement