Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short notice beer thread

Options
  • 17-08-2006 5:17pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm feeling an urge to have a couple of quiet pints, possibly combined with banter, tomorrow night. Anyone up for it? I have an inkling we might be able to get He Who Must Not Be Called Ken Shabby to come along as well.

For the sake of originality, I suggest the Blues Bar that's replaced the Phoenix, around 7ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Next one I might poke my head in if it's okay to intrude?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Intrusions are more than welcome! :)

Hell, JohnK's sodding off to Oz soon, if we don't get more people to turn up it'll end up being me, adam and sascha, and then just adam and sascha after I upsate a certain irritable foreign chap with a worrying knowledge of handguns...(Yes, sascha scares me. He's big, foreign, and gets a weird look in his eyes when he talks about guns.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Fysh wrote:
    Intrusions are more than welcome! :)

Hell, JohnK's sodding off to Oz soon, if we don't get more people to turn up it'll end up being me, adam and sascha, and then just adam and sascha after I upsate a certain irritable foreign chap with a worrying knowledge of handguns...(Yes, sascha scares me. He's big, foreign, and gets a weird look in his eyes when he talks about guns.)
    Is that supposed to guilt me into coming along :D. I woudn't mind a few pints actually so I'll try and get in. Where is this place? The Phoenix sounds familiar but I can't think of where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sascha has that effect all right.

unfortunately, I'm heading to Waterford tonight. Have fun

JohnK wrote:
    Is that supposed to guilt me into coming along :D. I woudn't mind a few pints actually so I'll try and get in. Where is this place? The Phoenix sounds familiar but I can't think of where it was.
    Wait a minute, isn't the Phoenix where we used to start drinking about a year ago? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yes, I was wondering whether I'd have to point that out to you. It was sold and turned into a pretty good blues bar a while back, so I figure we should venture along again.

Guess all my years of alcohol abuse have finally caught up with me! :o

I MIGHT be able to make it in for one. (multiply that by three) Must go to dinner afterwards so if I do make it in look out for over dressed girl because I am NOT going from table to table like a tit saying are you the guys from boards.ie! I need a couple of stiffners before this dinner.

Deer wrote:
    I MIGHT be able to make it in for one. (multiply that by three) Must go to dinner afterwards so if I do make it in look out for over dressed girl because I am NOT going from table to table like a tit saying are you the guys from boards.ie! I need a couple of stiffners before this dinner.
    Hey we all had to do it at one point! :p

Deer wrote:

Hahaha, just hope you don't get there when its just adam, the git had the audacity to try and deny it first time I turned up.

(Crop of the only photo I could find of myself at short notice is attached so you'll have some vague idea of who to look for, incidentally)

• Advertisement

Eggellent! If I make it I shall be on the lookout! This depends of course on how long it takes to trowel on the makeup and dispose of my offspring first! Around seven is it?

Yep, decidedly 7ish. I'll probably be there then, as will adam. God only knows when/if anyone else will turn up.

Assuming I can get my sister to drop me in I should be in for 7 too. Otherwise I'll have to get a bus and **** knows what they're up to with road works and the like. Anyone know if the Douglas road is still closed?

Tis open at the mo. Would offer ya a lift but am getting a taxi to two different places.... and you COULD be a psycho.... in Miggs way as opposed to a Hannibal Lecture way which would be quite acceptable!

Oh sweet jesus someone kill me now!!!! Drink is evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Well lads it was lovely to meet you and it is a terrible shame that I had to get plastered drunk on wine last night and was unable to join the pair of you for the rest of the night. I think though that you probably managed! Where did you go afterwards?

And JohnK - I hope that last post was you only getting in the door and not just after waking up with a hangover - if that is the case - you poor b astard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Bugger - completely missed this one :(

Deer wrote:
    Well lads it was lovely to meet you and it is a terrible shame that I had to get plastered drunk on wine last night and was unable to join the pair of you for the rest of the night. I think though that you probably managed! Where did you go afterwards?

Hahaha, what did we tell you about the wine? We ended up staying in Beale Street till tennish, then moved onto the Slate. I bailed out around 1ish but adam and john stayed around later.

Also, how did your evening pan out? Did all go according to your cunning plan ;)?

Deer wrote:
    And JohnK - I hope that last post was you only getting in the door and not just after waking up with a hangover - if that is the case - you poor b astard :(
    No I was well home by that time (I think) but that was about the time I puked my ring up :(. Most of the night is a major blur...

Fysh wrote:
    ...Also, how did your evening pan out? Did all go according to your cunning plan ;)?
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Bugger - completely missed this one :(
    mise freisin :(

on the otherhand i was still out on the town plastered (ended up in cubins though :S)

I vote for less short notice drinkin next weekend

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote:
    No I was well home by that time (I think) but that was about the time I puked my ring up :(. Most of the night is a major blur...

:D:D:D:D:D[/QUOTE

No the master plan didn't work out. I went home to bed and sulked. I ended up in Meades wine bar and when I saw the plan wasn't going to work decided to go home to bed. I'm not the best when I'm sulking!

I think in retrospect what should have happened is that I should have puked myself. Then I would have been fit to go out for the rest of the night. I've never heard of those two bars you ended up in.

Deer wrote:
    No the master plan didn't work out. I went home to bed and sulked. I ended up in Meades wine bar and when I saw the plan wasn't going to work decided to go home to bed. I'm not the best when I'm sulking!

I think in retrospect what should have happened is that I should have puked myself. Then I would have been fit to go out for the rest of the night. I've never heard of those two bars you ended up in.

Fair enough so. In that case, the plan for next time should be as follows:
    • you turn up for pre-food drinkies, just to establish that you do intend to go out
    • go off to dinner
    • if plan works out, carry on as normal then meet us afterwards
    • if plan doesn't work out, move onto the wine.
    • then throw up (preferably over the dinner companion in question
    • then come out drinking with us for the night :D

Sound like a plan?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i suggest it be this weekend that you test out this plan. me and blitzkrieger are gonna go drinkin anyway coz ye never told us last week, sniff sniff :'(

Oh, pshaw. I posted a whole day in advance :P

Anyway, speaking only for myself, I probably wont be out this weekend due to shortage of funding.

However, the weekend after that will give us not only the first friday of september (obligated Cork Beers drinking day), but also the day after payday (generally a day I go drinking) and also the premiere of Purgatory (all going well). So that'll be a mad session. I vote that we make people go along even if they don't like rock/metal nights. Just to add to the entertainment. :D

Fysh wrote:
    Anyway, speaking only for myself, I probably wont be out this weekend due to shortage of funding.
    Like myself so. Something I've noticed is that I always seem to spend about 3 times as much whenever I go out with you and Adam :confused:

Fysh wrote:
    However, the weekend after that will give us not only the first friday of september (obligated Cork Beers drinking day), but also the day after payday (generally a day I go drinking) and also the premiere of Purgatory (all going well). So that'll be a mad session. I vote that we make people go along even if they don't like rock/metal nights. Just to add to the entertainment. :D
    I'm in London that weekend so wont be around... Probably for the best really as if last Friday was any indicator then that would kill me :eek:

JohnK wrote:
    Like myself so. Something I've noticed is that I always seem to spend about 3 times as much whenever I go out with you and Adam :confused:

Don't go blaming me, I'm not the one who constantly accelerates the pace of drinking. Hell, I had to switch from pints to bottles in order to keep up with the general pace of rounds last week. (And still ended up crashing out early!)
    JohnK wrote:
    I'm in London that weekend so wont be around... Probably for the best really as if last Friday was any indicator then that would kill me :eek:

No, it's your tendency when drunk to listen to adam and believe him when he says things like "An Old-Fashioned is a really nice drink, and best enjoyed after about 12-15 pints of lager when you're well and truly pished" that will get you killed...

Fysh wrote:
    Don't go blaming me, I'm not the one who constantly accelerates the pace of drinking. Hell, I had to switch from pints to bottles in order to keep up with the general pace of rounds last week. (And still ended up crashing out early!)
    What I want to know is why I though it would be a good idea to move onto double scotch's :(

Fysh wrote:
    No, it's your tendency when drunk to listen to adam and believe him when he says things like "An Old-Fashioned is a really nice drink, and best enjoyed after about 12-15 pints of lager when you're well and truly pished" that will get you killed...
    I think I've beaten this since Adam claims there was no Old Fashioned on Friday but based on the state of me Saturday morning I'm not entirely sure I believe him...

JohnK wrote:
    What I want to know is why I though it would be a good idea to move onto double scotch's :(

Probably adam's doing, he moved onto Tequila at some stage (though he was drinking it on ice with no chaser, which strikes me as an inherently silly thing to do.
    JohnK wrote:
    I think I've beaten this since Adam claims there was no Old Fashioned on Friday but based on the state of me Saturday morning I'm not entirely sure I believe him...

I couldn't say, but judging by the state of the three of us at about 1 am, I'd be surprised if they were willing to serve it to ye. Although I can't see that stopping adam from trying (and he's somehow succeeded in such circumstances before in the Long Island)...

TEQUILA on ice?!?! such madness

ye're a pair of big girls blouses, come out this weekend!!!

• Advertisement

Judging by this carry on I am indeed lucky I didn't join you two afterwards on Friday night. I would have been on the double jd and cokes in pint glasses and would have been sent to the south infirmary to be pumped.

With regards to plan for the next time how about I just don't go to dinner at all. Then I can stay on the jack daniels and actually have a good time. The only food to be consumed of course will be the obligatry toasted sandwich in tribes which will then no doubt be puked on the way home on the night.

That purgatory thing sounds good. I just don't know what to wear

Advertisement