Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL 'lost' my package

Options
  • 17-08-2006 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Sorry for this long rant, the main question is the very last pargraph if you want to skip the details. I'l try keep it as short as possible, I'll divide into the separate days.

Saturday 5th August

I order an item off ebay from England. I confirmed this, it was NOT china or korea or something. Shipment is via DHL and the seller informs me it will be delivered within 3/4 days.

Friday 11th

Still the package has not arrived and I tend to believe there is foul play on the part of the ebay seller. He returns my email with a tracking number for DHL.

Saturday 12th

I look up the order and see that delivery was attempted and failed. I think this is strange as there is always someone at home, at no point was the house empty. Even stranger, there was no card left from DHL as you would expect.

I ring the number and am told my delivery was a road delivery and cannot be traced by someone until Monday. So I'm happy, I'll contact them then.

Monday 14th

I ring DHL early, approx 9.30am. I'm told no problem, the enquiry will be passed onto a tracing agent who will contact you with an hour. I'm also told this parcel was attempted to be delivered twice, which is definitely not true. 4 hours later I ring back and ask if I can collect my parcel instead of waiting for delivery. 'No problem,' I'm told. Go to the depot in Ballymount and they'll give it to you.
    I make my way there, where I am told 'No, you can't collect it today'. So, understanding that its somewhere in the warehouse, I leave.

Tuesday 15th

I ring early again and explain what happened. They tell me the tracing agent will ring back in an hour. At 4 o clock I ring again to confirm they are trying to find it. At this point they tell me the package was opened. I don't care, but I don't understand why they needed to tell me this. They tell me that the driver who had the package is off today and that it will be tomorrow before they can find out what he did with it. Someone will ring first thing in the morning.

Wednesday 16th

No phone call at all. I decide not to bother ringing them today, maybe they'll ring tomorrow.

Thursday 17th

Today I ring and explain that I'm pretty pissed off now. I was supposed to have this a week ago, and not only that, they don't know where it is. I'm told an agent will ring back within half an hour. I stop and ask will this ACTUALLY happen and she said definitely yes, she's looking at your information now.

The working day has come to an end yet again with no phone call. I'm pretty pissed. Maybe I sound TOTALLY paranoid, but I believe someone at DHL stole my package.

1. They said it was supposed to have been delivered on TWO occasions. I'm confident that nobody from DHL visited the house. Me and my brother and sister have been here all week, at least one of us in the house at all times. There was never any note left to say so either.

2. They randomly told me the package was opened, maybe this was to cover them if they recovered the package and gave it to me in a used condition.

3. On the one occasion I briefly talked to the tracer agent, she explained how it was all hinging on the driver that had it.

4. They will not return my phone calls, maybe its just badly run, but I find it ridiculous.

Tomorrow I'm ringing and will not get off the phone until they locate and confirm for me that they have my package. In the event that they have misplaced my package, is it up to them to replace or do they claim they are not responsible? If that is the case I'm gonna be seriously pissed as the item i bought cost about €100. Please, any comments or advice are much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think the shipper has to sue them (in the UK) You simply get your money back as you have no contract with DHL.

Soz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I have also had experiences with DHL. the driver delivered it to the wrong house, to a neighbour we had a fight with because of the package gone missing.

the seller has the contract with DHL and so you are(as sponge bob said) entitled to a refund from the seller. It is his duty to track the parcel...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

'Resurrecting an old thread' card and all that... but I chanced upon this and wondered how you'd got on...

(feel free to refer to this threadfor background ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

I have had the same problem with DHL. I bought a JVC camcorder online and i was given the dhl tracking number. It was suppose to take 2 working days to deliver. after FOUR working days i saw that the item has just been dispatched from DHL facilites in Paris (already 2 days late)

Then it was shipped to the uk.

Then it was shipped to Ireland.

a few days later I STILL got no package. I rang up DHL and they said they would get back to me the next day. They never did. I rang them again, they said they would look into it and ring me back 2 working days later. They never did.

Then I had to ring up the company I bought the camcorder from, then THEY had to open up an investigation with DHL. I was told this would take 7 - 19 working days. It has been 12 working days now and still no sign of the investigation closing. Also DHL never rang me so i decided to ring them. dhl then confirmed that my product had been "lost". In other words some dhl w***** nicked my camcorder. in fairness, how does a large parcel get lost like that.

DONT EVER USE DHL. IM STILL WAITING FOR MY REPLACEMENT CAMCORDER 4 WEEKS AFTER MY ORDER (with 2 days delivery).............im also wondering will some dhl f****** decide to keep my camcorder fr themselves this time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hope you did not buy from Pixmania, if you did I would simply charge the credit card back now (for non delivery) and let themselves and DHL sort out whether it was ever shipped at all .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

hey spongebob.

i actually did order from pixmania, they are a complete NIGHTMARE to deal with. They wont charge it back until DHL complete their "investigation" which has been over 2 weeks now.

Your dead right though about Pixmania, I have never delt with such a bad company in all my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

so many rogue courier/parcel delivery companies in this country, seems any crook with a transit can ferry goods :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Also had similar experience with DHL over Ryder Cup tickets. Went missing for a while after being sent from UK. Eventually told they were sent to 'wrong facility' and not logged when they arrived in Dublin. Luckily reappeared on time but took over two weeks altogether to be delivered - luckily they were sent in plenty of time.

Maybe problems might have to do with DHL recruitment and training policy. The courier who delivered the tickets rang en route and had absolutely no idea of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jamesozzie wrote:
    i actually did order from pixmania, they are a complete NIGHTMARE to deal with. They wont charge it back until DHL complete their "investigation" which has been over 2 weeks now.
    Don't wait for Pixmania to charge back, ring your credit card company and ask them to do a charge reversal as pixmania have not sent what you paid for. It's up to pixmania to chase DHL for a refund, and you should not be expected to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I dare to ask: How are DHL getting away with such a low level service...
    Adding to my post above, I was charged €19 for a parcel, and had only 7days from issue of letter to pay for it. I received the letter 4days after the date of issue, leving me three days to pay for it... It turned out that only one person in DHL was allowed to collect payments and after being shuffled around to about 5different operators to get a message saying that this caroline one was available 9-5, four days a week...very annoying and I would prefer if DHL could just disappear, and do us all a favour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 eest

The same with me but more 'fun' ...

04.03.07 I ordered digital camera from expansys. Had similar conversations with expansys and DHL both. Great customer service from either side, DHL officially reported my camera lost quite soon and I decided to get money back because the same item dropped in price by 30 quid approx on pixmania.

16.03.07 Ordered camera + case + flash from pixmania with DHL delivery as the only option. They sent it with 2 parcels fore some reason. Got case with no probs but exactly the same sequence of events with camera and flash. Nothing delivered, investigation started, DHL officially approved parcel 'lost'

03.04.07 Rung pixmania following their request to select an option from resending or refund. Asked for resend. Waiting...

In both tries DHL order tracking page got stuck with early morning message 'Departed from DHL facility ...'

Waiting for the third time now and preparing for legal action against DHL if they manage to get it lost again.. Any ideas/suggestions how much my frustration gonna cost them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Try UPS, much better. I ordered something to Blackrock, Co. Dublin last week.

Collected in Germany late Monday night, was in Dublin early Tuesday morning.
    (According to their tracking, it left Cologne at 4:32am and arrived in Dublin at 3:49am. Even allowing for time difference, it took 17mins! that's really impressive.)

Was in Shannon by 5am, and Cork by 9am Tuesday.

Of course, it then sat there for most of the day after they realised they'd ignored the 'Co. Dublin' bit clearly printed on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

eest wrote:
    Waiting for the third time now and preparing for legal action against DHL if they manage to get it lost again.. Any ideas/suggestions how much my frustration gonna cost them :rolleyes:
    Only the sender would be in a position to apply any legal action against DHL, your contract is with the sender not DHL.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Only the sender would be in a position to apply any legal action against DHL, your contract is with the sender not DHL.

Not exactly... It's true if sender pays for delivery but in this case I paid DHL through online shop, so I think I am customer of online shop and DHL both. Customer services representative in DHL told me that I am eligible to put an official complaint in relation to this loss, so I think I may claim compensation for not receiving the service that I paid for.

Anyway I'll wait for third try outcome and see

MOH wrote:
    Try UPS, much better.
    I'd love to but DHL was the only delivery option in both cases :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DR4G4L

old thread, but who cares, right?

Similar thing happening to me right now, but never had problem with DHL before. Ordered a replacement engine rad for my car from Germany, was no trouble at all, fast dispatch, good communication, tracking number whatever you can wish for. It was signed up for delivery by DHL in Germany on the 17th, in 3 days they did transfer my package from the pick-up office to the transport hub (checked with Google Maps, 40 km !!) and then was prepared for transport. Today on the 30th I have received a letter from DHL Ireland, stating that they had an unsuccessful delivery attempt, the envelope was stamped for the 29th. Called them up, saying I would rather go there and collect it myself, then waiting for them to attempt another unsuccessful delivery specially if they never showed up (haven't seen DHL vans around here for 2 weeks). Turned out that they can't really find my package, not lost just have an unknown location and asked me if I can confirm what is the content of the package and what is the size of it. Well, it's simple you are looking for something boxish shape with the dimensions of (at least) 700x400x300 mm and probably weights a few lbs. I wonder if I would ship my car with DHL, and talking about something 5x1.8x1.5m 3100lbs, would it be lost too or hard to find? I have received small packages delivered by UPS that wasn't even bigger than a normal size envelope, how can DHL loose or unable to find something the my current package?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DR4G4L wrote: »
    old thread, but who cares,

I do - please do not drag up old threads

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement