Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time Garda/Police ! What is your view ?..

Options
  • 17-08-2006 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

It seems as though our full time Garda are not happy about having 'Part Time' Garda volunteers to help out in keeping us all safe.

Personally, having lived in London for a long time, I admire the courage of ordinary citizens who are prepared to do this public service.

I sincerely believe, they will benefit our society.

What do you think ?...

P. :cool:

Will the new Garda Reserve Force benefit the community 13 votes

Definitely - should have been done years ago
    0% 0 votes
    Will have limited impact
    61% 8 votes
    Not sure - time will tell
    0% 0 votes
    A waste of taxpayers money
    38% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Guess you should have added a poll question to this thread :)

Personally, I'd be all for it. As long as these P/T Gardai don't abuse their newfound power. So the selection process should be pretty tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Paddy20 on the beat! :) Yeah would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

deman wrote:
    Guess you should have added a poll question to this thread :)

I totally agree, a poll is a good idea, maybe one of our Mod's might consider setting that up ?, Please. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

A bunch of busy bodies telling folk what to do. Your either a guard or your not like! You can be a voluntary aid money gatherer, old person helper or voluntary tidy towns litter person but voluntary gaurds are not my cup of tea.

What exactly are these wannabes going to be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Nuttzy wrote:
    A bunch of busy bodies telling folk what to do. Your either a guard or your not like! You can be a voluntary aid money gatherer, old person helper or voluntary tidy towns litter person but voluntary gaurds are not my cup of tea.

What exactly are these wannabes going to be doing?

Helping to enfoce the law of the land, of course. We are very short of full time Garda, and I believe they are needed in both rural and urban environments !. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

My view too. It's fine in London or Dublin or places like that where there's so many people. In the west of Ireland, everyone knows everyone. Who wants to pulled over and fined by some guy down the road that you've never got on with? It'll lead to people being prosecuted for assaulting guards and being abusive. I know I would. You won't get civic minded people doing it. You'll get busy bodies and a##holes. Fact:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Helping to enfoce the law of the land, of course. We are very short of full time Garda, and I believe they are needed in both rural and urban environments !.
    Then let the government hire more gardai instead of a half assed bull**** idea of busybodies and wannabes that could be psychos for all us public know.

What powers will these monkeys have, i cant wait to take the piss out of them. They cant do motoring duties can they? How does the system work, will each 1 of them be paired up with a REAL garda and they patroll round on the beat or what. Can they arrest someone? What happens if you sneer them a bit on the street, do they call the guards? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Theres a guy in Letterkenny who has been under the illusion for many years now that he is a Guard. I bet he'll be jumping to join up. Anyone from the town itself is bound to know who I'm talking about.

Personally I was disappointed at seeing the adverts specify a maximum age limit of 35. Now I know I have no valuable contribution to make for society.

There used to be in Sligo who everyone called Straightback. He used to wear a yellow reflective sash, a long black overcoat and a police style hat. He would stand at junctions directing traffic, and when he had the town in complete gridlock, he'd move on. Hillarious to watch. Tourists thought he was some sort of cop.:D
    It's policing on the cheap. It's a deeply flawed concept. Apparently, these "guards", for want of a better word, will receive 3 hours training for 8 weeks. That's 24 hours. How can you aquaint anyone with sufficient knowledge of the law in that space of time before unleashing them on the public with powers of arrest? I see court cases aplenty being thrown out of court. Just before all the sueing starts:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im going to reserve comment until I see what their brief will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i thought they wer all part time anyway most seem to have other businesses anyway !

Fair point. Who doesn't know a Guard over the age of 40 who doesn't have a B&B or some other sideline enterprise. And these "part timers" will probably end up taking up the slack for the "real" guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

not completely up to speed on this but as far as I know.. reservits will not be stationed in their on area... will get 120 hours basic training... cant drive state owned vehicles, carry guns or do plain clothes duty... as for being busy bodies or headcases - i think that given recent events they would be no different than some members the full time force.

I heard 24 hours. 120 seems more reasonable. I can't see many people being up for being stationed out of their area. If you're volunteering, you don't want to travel 20 miles to be a "Guard". Even with travel allowances.Seems a bit optomistic on the Ministers behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Personally I was disappointed at seeing the adverts specify a maximum age limit of 35. Now I know I have no valuable contribution to make for society.

That is the age limit for entry to the Gardai. The Reserve age limit is 60:-

2. Conditions for Entry to the Garda Reserve

Members of the Garda Reserve will serve on a voluntary unpaid basis and not as employees.

Entry to the Garda Reserve is governed by the Garda Síochána (Reserve Members) Regulations, 2006

The Garda Commissioner may not recruit a person for admission as a reserve trainee unless the following requirements are met:

(4) the person is not less than 18, but under 60, years of age when commencing the prescribed training;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

This can only be a bad idea. more jobs for the boys, service will go to those they know not who needs it, and no doubt more of the ol' "ah jeez i know him, we'll let him off this one"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Entry to the Garda Reserve is governed by the Garda Síochána (Reserve Members) Regulations, 2006

The Garda Commissioner may not recruit a person for admission as a reserve trainee unless the following requirements are met:

(4) the person is not less than 18, but under 60, years of age when commencing the prescribed training;

The print advertisements specifically mention 35 years age limit and I checked that it wasn't a normal Garda full time advert. unless they got confused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

It seems as though our full time Garda are not happy about having 'Part Time' Garda volunteers to help out in keeping us all safe.

full time cops are not happy because they realise that they will spend more time out on the street, where they are supposed to be anyway, solving puzzles.

no more excuses about "paperwork" which the reserve force will probably take care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

il gatto wrote:
    There used to be in Sligo who everyone called Straightback. He used to wear a yellow reflective sash, a long black overcoat and a police style hat. He would stand at junctions directing traffic, and when he had the town in complete gridlock, he'd move on. :

God there is a blast from the past, straight back, and if you called him straightback he would go mental. I remember a story that half of the missing bikes in sligo were found at his house of something and his defense was that they had been illegally parked or something.

On the topic in hand, the reserve police will not work in the country side for reasons mentioned, will you take nosey tom up the road seriously when he cautions you for whatever.
    I have a problem for the reserve because of people I know who failed the entrance exam twice and still want to be a guard, this person i know is well in their forties so it does not matter, but if they were at the right age, this would be a huge disaster.
    Example, my person in question, made a citizen's arrest on a guy who was drunk on a sunday afternoon. Most people from the town would have given the guy a lift home but no, our idiot stated he was doing a citizen arrest and brought him to the police station.
    This is where you are going to have problems, people who want power should never be allowed to have it, the authority will go straight to their head and cuase mayhem

Poor old Straightback. If you shouted "The Japs are coming", he'd try to hide under a car. Not me shouting it, mind:) He used to go to Dublin on the train with a briefcase and tell people he was on a secret mission :D

With regards to part time Guards, I wonder if it's fully constitutional? I don't know that it isn't, but it sounds dodgy. Like swearing in a Deputy in a Western. Yee Ha!!? I think not.

• Advertisement

McDowell wouldnt be known for denying anyone their constitutional rights :D

Paddy20 wrote:
    I totally agree, a poll is a good idea, maybe one of our Mod's might consider setting that up ?, Please. ;)

paddy, if i knew how to put a poll thingy on here then i would, but as a mod i dont have the option to add a poll. I think it is set up with the original post.

See what you can do, if i find out more then i will let you know

In other words there are 2 mods here who dont know their arse from their polls :D

Fear not, I will put this top of my "to do" list

Right. The poll is there so get clicking people.

No need to thank me just send a cheque :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote:
    Right. The poll is there so get clicking people.

No need to thank me just send a cheque :)

Your first poll and you forgot the most important thing.

Where is the "Atari Jaguar" option? :D

have to agree with smashey on this, muffler you need the atari jaguar on this

TSK TSK

god you might even get a ban for that.

All joking aside, well done, wanna share the secret

nanook wrote:
    All joking aside, well done, wanna share the secret
    It will cost you big time for this info :D

Advertisement