Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cdwow.ie

Options
  • 17-08-2006 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

What's the catch? I mean, it just seems a bit too cheap.

What are your expieriences with it? Why is it so cheap? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Been using it for years, never had a problem with it. It used to really cheap as the CDs and DVDs came from Hong Kong but that got shot down by the record companies so now they come from Luxembourg AFAIK. Delivery takes about a week.
    I havent bought a newly released CD in HMV, Virgin in ages. €22 for an album no thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's not actually that cheap. It's cheap in comparison to what? HMV, et. al.? That's easily explained: high-street retailers mark-up.
    They're fine to deal with - I've never had an issue.

Keep an eye in Bargain Alerts and on their website for promotional vouchers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Thanks. Another question.

I was thinking of buying an album and saw two of the same album, one for €10 and one for €20. Why is this?

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    Thanks. Another question.

I was thinking of buying an album and saw two of the same album, one for €10 and one for €20. Why is this?
    Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Yep have to agree with the above its not that they're cheap its more like we're being fleeced by what some might consider "high street retailers". As for their service I've been using them and other online retailers for years and found them to be very reliable.

• Advertisement

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    *shrug* The cheaper one is a "limited edition with a DVD"... *omitted smart-ass remarks for a change*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

One has a 'limited edition DVD' with it. CD WOW are fine, I've bought 100+ items from them, never any problems.

All sounds good. I want to order a game that comes out Fri Oct 20th. Will they wait until then to ship it or will they ship it on time for me to have it on that date?

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    All sounds good. I want to order a game that comes out Fri Oct 20th. Will they wait until then to ship it or will they ship it on time for me to have it on that date?
    oO
    They'll wait to ship it then.

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    oO
    They'll wait to ship it then.

Aw f-... idllesticks. So will I get it that Monday or even later?

Oo
    Delivery times vary. Have you ever ordered anything online? It won't arrive on Monday, at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The odd time you will get it before the release date, has happened to me with some Simpsons DVDs. You won't get it Friday.

Karoma wrote:
    Oo
    Delivery times vary. Have you ever ordered anything online? It won't arrive on Monday, at any rate.

Once, and it took 3 weeks to deliver. And it was the wrong item. And then I seen it for half the price on another website.

I assume it won't take that long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I love CDWOW, great site and great etailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Agree, they have great prices when using the discount links, OP I've always found the american site cheaper than the Irish one. They also have a brilliant customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

A year ago CDWOW were fantastic and I had nothing but good words to say about them but a year later I've nothing but bad words to say about them. My last 4 orders have all being delayed by at least 2 weeks, I even had to wait 3 weeks after the due date for one of my orders to come. They all came in the end but in comparison to a year ago when I probably made 6/7 orders and all came on time but now I'm lead to the conclusion that they've maybe grown so much they've lost their organisation. They bit the buscuit when they resent 2 cds on presumption they were lost, these were delayed themselves but they arrived and then they sent an email presuming 2 copies of each CD arrived and that I was to go to the trouble of sending these extra CDs which I never recieved back! I ignored the email.

Not using CDWOW anymore after all this, have to settle being ripped off by HMV instead (abliet buying my CDs when I choose!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

I'd have to agree with Zane. I've found their customer service now is much worse compared to last year.

I tend to use Play.com a lot too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I regularly check prices of games I'm thinking of buying across play.com, sendit.com, cdwow and gameplay.co.uk. Gives me an idea of how much the game costs new before bidding for it on ebay.

The odd thing is that cdwow.ie and cdwow.co.uk can often differ by quite a bit, so it's worth checking out both.

You can get good bargains there. Just bought Elder Scrolls: Oblivion which is GBP 24.99 everywhere else for EUR 28.99, which is a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Personally, i'd use play.com before i'd use cdwow.ie
    CDWOW items seem to take a lot longer to arrive (over a week at least) and of course Play have a much bigger range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Last thing I bought off CD-WOW arrived in four days. I've had stuff from play take two weeks in the past - other times it's been four/five days. just seems to vary with the item.

But at the end of the day I don't mind waiting a few extra days to avoid the rip-off prices I'd have to pay here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shane_by

I have used them several times over the last 3 years. No problems except for the last time when one of the two CDs I ordered didn't arrive. I emailed them, they emailed back, apologised and told me they would dispatch the CD straight away; within a week it had arrived.
    Things is, a few days later another copy of the same CD arrived! It seems they had problems with a postal delay in Hong Kong or somewhere. They sent out a general email explaining the situation and asking anybody who had received duplicate CDs to return one copy. I was happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've used cd-wow quiet a bit and never had any problems. My last dvd arrived within a week of me getting the email saying it had been dispatched. Given that the label said it came from Hong Kong, I was quiet happy. For their prices, I can wait the extra couple of days...

Advertisement