Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking

Options
  • 17-08-2006 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,
    I just got a room in a house for college this year (some ave. of college road.) I have a car haven’t a clue how to get a permit. On the cork city council website it says among other things that you need 2 utility bills addressed to you at that address-but I have no way of getting those. Anybody have any advice or experience to give.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

They also state that they will accept "Financial Documents (Credit Card, Bank Account, Credit Union statements)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK, having jumped through hoops to get mine, here is what you need.

In summary, vehicle license cert and insurance cert must be registered to the address for which you seek the permit.

Official documents are required, bills or financial preferably. (I had one bill only at that address, but they also took a letter from the Revenue). If you're not sure, go in and ask them what they will accept, or ring them.

If you are not registered to vote where you will be living you will have to get a commissioner of oaths to sign the form for you (another €10 approx).

You will have to supply a rentbook/lease agreement from your landlord as well as a copy of the certificate of registration with the PRTB.

And finally, make sure that your apartment building meets the requirements for parking permits. Residents in newer blocks don't qualify for permits. All the info is on the website I gave you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sugar'n'spice

Ok thats great, but it still doesn't solve my problem. I wont have any bills in my name because the house has 8 people in it. The bills, I guess, will be addressed to the landlord. Also I'm not sure if the whole thing is legit. or if she's registered with the PRTB. Is there any short term solutions???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not really, beyond perhaps renting a car park space.

The traffic wardens regularly ticket and clamp cars in the area around college.

If you have a friend with an empty driveway, you culd ask them if you can keep your car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Ok thats great, but it still doesn't solve my problem. I wont have any bills in my name because the house has 8 people in it. The bills, I guess, will be addressed to the landlord. Also I'm not sure if the whole thing is legit. or if she's registered with the PRTB. Is there any short term solutions???

As I said above they accept Credit Card Bills, Credit Union, Bank Account statements. The landlords name or your other flatmates names are not going to be on these!!! It's a pain to have to change the addresses on them, if you would prefer to keep them to your permanent home address, but it is a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sugar'n'spice

I'm more worried that my landlord is not a member of the PRTA than changing my addresses. If she’s not, I’m screwed. I might have to sell the car. But it would be handy to have it because there is no direct route from cork to where I live. The only other option is to look for another place...but at this late stage, I don't think that's an option either. She said the deposit is non-refundable. But if she’s not a member of the PRTA, I'm sure I could get it back because I could cause trouble (I’m sure she doesn’t want a court appearance or a hefty fine if I report her). Oh well hopefully it will all work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The short-term solution is to bring all the relevant documents that you have to the City Council parking permit office (it's on Anglesea St, opposite the City Hall), pay them the fee (€20 I think), tell them you are waiting for the PRTB registration to come through (this can take months). They will issue you with a receipt which you place in your windscreen next to a big sign with "permit application pending" written on it, this should stave off the clampers for a while. This used to be the way it worked, but I don't know if it's still the same.

BTW, You can check if your landlord is already registered on the PRTB website.

Strangely, if you say that you own the house, no proof is required! I doubt if CCC go to the trouble of checking the deeds, or if they are even allowed to do so. So lying would avoid the whole PRTB issue but I think I would be too honest/stupid to try it.

The whole parking permit experience is about as enjoyable as having a limb sawed off. Set aside a couple of days to get it done. For added fun, the vehicle registration office is in County Hall (Carrigrohane Road) but the parking permit office is in City Hall.

Advertisement