Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about nose piercings

Options
  • 17-08-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Ok, so I got my nostril pierced yesterday, with a gun.

Is that proper procedure or should it have been a needle? And she said it was a different gun instead of one for ears.

Is it safe to use guns to pierce noses, or should I have got a needle piercing. It was in a piercing place, not some jewellery place, so I presume they know what they're doing and I have been pierced there before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

A gun in a piercing shop? That sounds dodgy; where was it?

Short answer, no. I would never get pierced with a gun. Ever. Proper practice is single-use needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

ammmm, should I name and shame???

Well she said it was nose gun, not an ear gun.

Yes, name and shame please. "Nose gun" my ar$e. I got mine pierced with a needle, no need for guns at all at all.

Destiny Body Piercing, Foxes Bow, Limerick.

I got my tragus and anti-helix done there.....with needles, all turned out fine.

Got my second lobes done with a gun, they were a pain.

Seriously I KNOW there is such thing as a nose gun, but yeah.....

Kinda pis.sed she never asked if I wanted needle or gun cos I prob would have gone with the needle, cos I know the gun leads to fec.kin infections. I just went along with it because I assummed being a piercing shop, the job would be done right.

It's grand now, only slightly sore and the stud (which looks really weird, almost like a nail) isn't pressed too tightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Blahhh: no it isnt safe to use a gun for any piercing really.
    Cleanliness: gun has many moving parts so cant be cleaned thoroughly
    Control: easier and safer to use a needle because you have total control of it. Also it doesnt pound into your ear/nose at high speed like a gun. Can cause undue trauma to the area.
    Imagine if the person pierced your nose and it went through your septum also! :( or any part. I personally would never get pierced by a gun, way too dodgy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Guns basically cannot be autoclaved as they'll melt. Everytime a gun is used it gets sprayed with a thin film of plasma from the piercee. Autoclaving any reusables is standard practice for anywhere decent. Unfortunatly theres no laws to enforce that yet tho.

Another problem with guns is the force they pierce with. Lots of local trauma and a risk of cracking the cartiledge which isnt good.

Yet another problem with guns is the likely hood of getting pierced by some saturday girl whose had "full training" consisting of reading the manual maybe and watching someone else perform a piercing.

Placement is also highly inhibited as you can only pierce what you can fit in the gun. Guns are bad mkay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I got my nose pierced with a gun. Turned out fine!

Im happy for you, heres my happy face " :) "
    still doesnt change the fact that it is dangerous

Ahhh......

Well is it ok to use a gun on ear lobes? Or should the gun be avoided altogether?

I hope my nose heals ok....... :(

Preferably a gun should be avoided, your nose should be fine as long as you keep cleaning it and stuff. Dont worry about it too much :D

• Advertisement

Just stay away from the gun in future. And maybe consider a different piercing shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Tut tut tut.... That is all I can say.

In fairness everyone learns at one time or another, we were all new to it at one stage. I wasnt born with a barbell through my lobe anyway, dont know about the rest of us :)

Well considering it's a piercing parlour and not just a Claires Accessories or whatever, I presume they would carry out correct procedures!?!

Should I take it out?

No just keep cleaning it and look after it, should be fine. :)

Hey!!!

I Just So Happen To Be Supervisor In Claires In The Ilac.
    Take That Comment Back Or I'll Hit You!!!

• Are you really? do you have loads of piercings and black hair? If so I saw you the other day, meant to ask if you sold surgical steel jewellery but I got sidetracked looking at the headbands and forgot :D

I Just So Happen To Be Supervisor In Claires In The Ilac.
    Take That Comment Back Or I'll Hit You!!!
    If you really are, know that you're doing qualified piercers a disservice by continuing using a gun and should stop at once. Not that this little post is going to make you stop, but next your shop pierces some 10 yo girl's ears, remember that you are being extremely unsanitary and are potentially exposing her to various infections in the process.

she just said shes the supervisor, doesnt mean she is the one who does the piercings.

It's in my contract to do em... Not my choice. I get enough stick from my piercer friends about it. I do it as cleanly as I possibly can. It's not like I wanna do it, ya know.

YUeah I'm the girl with loadsa piercings and crappy messy hair... Ya like our buy one get one free promo on headwraps?!?
    Ya should come in and say hey some day! I'm Emz by the way....

• Advertisement

Aard: I owe you an apolagy

It's Not My Fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• It WAS you then. Yeah the headwrap offer wasn't bad but I didn't end up buying any. So DO you sell surgical steel jewellery? :D I was looking for something for my earlobes I wouldn't be allergic to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 keelzer

i've had my nose pierced with a gun 3 times....never had any problems...just take good care of it!!

Sterling silver is yer best bet. Or just get some titanium stuff from a body jewellers.

And for the record. Piercing ANYWHERE on the body except earlobes is HIGHLY dangerous. Can damage nerve endings and blod vessles and the like.

Wilburt: np ;)
    It's Not My Fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did they *force* you to take the job. Knowing that piercing with a gun is unsanitary and yet continuing to do it is highly unethical and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Sterling silver is yer best bet.

Sterling silver is a unaaceptable material for piercings as its not a pure metal and contains tin and zinc as well as some other metals which can cause irritation and allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Aard wrote:
    Wilburt: np ;)

Did they *force* you to take the job. Knowing that piercing with a gun is unsanitary and yet continuing to do it is highly unethical and unprofessional.

chill out, its not her fault if someone is stupid enough to sit there and willingly get shot in the face with a piece of metal

anyone who doesnt stop and actually give thought to the process of being pierced with a piece of equipment that isnt sterilised deserves what they get.

el rabitos wrote:
    chill out, its not her fault if someone is stupid enough to sit there and willingly get shot in the face with a piece of metal

anyone who doesnt stop and actually give thought to the process of being pierced with a piece of equipment that isnt sterilised deserves what they get.

But it's not the persons fault either, why should guns be allowed to be used if they cause problems??? Is there not any health and safety regulations with regards to body piercing? And a lot of people DON'T KNOW that guns are not appropriate procedure.

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:

I'm thinking of the 10 yo girls who want their little sparkle-sparkle, not of the teenagers/adults who do it.

Advertisement