Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Shipping

Options
  • 17-08-2006 8:19pm

Right, I know that this has been covered before but I can't find the old thread.

I have my air pistol with me in the states, and due to an flight change, I am unable to fly it home with me (I will be stuck in Heathrow and miss flight)

How do I go about shipping it home? I have my license and all that

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

What do you want to know about it original_psycho?

EDIT: couldn't see your message last night, computer was screwy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

Right, I know that this has been covered before but I can't find the old thread.

I have my air pistol with me in the states, and due to an flight change, I am unable to fly it home with me (I will be stuck in Heathrow and miss flight)

How do I go about shipping it home? I have my license and all that

Thanks,
    Interesting situation but quite simple when it comes to the legislation in UK and Ireland.

If you are stopping over in the UK and wish to carry your air pistol with you, simply box it and put it in your hold luggage, in the USA you would be better to declare it when you check in, as it will look like a firearm and in the USA it is the law to declare a firearm in ones hold luggage.

You have no issues in the UK with an air pistol because anyone over 18 can purchase and posess one without a certificate, therefore you will have no issues transiting through the UK even if you have to recover your luggage prior to changing flights.

When you arrive in Dublin, if you have an irish firearms cerificate you go through the red chanel declare it and show the certificate, all they will be interested in is if it has duty and and vat payable on it.

PS If you wish to ship it then you must familarise yourself with US customs regulations and I do not know the status of shipping or posting an air pistol, from this end if you have a certificate and it arrives by mail that is fine as you do not need an importation certificate, best advice, simply carry it in your hold luggage and declare it each time you check in!

Straighforward really, just know the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

If it's over the 12ft/lb limit you do need an FAC in the UK - I've read on some of the hunting forums of the police there actually checking the power - but doubt they'd have the facilities or time at the airport to do that - although they only need a chrony.

That said - I know nothing about air pistols so chances are there isn't many >12ft/lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

For air pistols in the UK, the limit is 6ft/lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sorry for butting in but can anyone give me info on importing a centrefire rifle from the UK and shipping it back?
    It is a .243 Browning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

Cj, I'm in the process of bringing in a rifle from the UK myself too, not through a dealer either and what I've been told is to apply for the licence here in the normal way- with a receipt from the the uk supplier and when the licence is granted I then have to apply to the Dept of (in) Justice for an import cert.
    Once that is granted I'm home free. The dealer in the UK will NOT deliver for me though-obviously enough, so I have to arrange to get it home myself. Kinda steep learning curve as I've only ever bought o/u's from dealers here.
    Here is the link for the import licence application form:
    http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/vWeb/flJUSQ6QCM3P-en/$File/Individual.pdf
    Good luck :)

FLAG wrote:

PS If you wish to ship it then you must familarise yourself with US customs regulations and I do not know the status of shipping or posting an air pistol, from this end if you have a certificate and it arrives by mail that is fine as you do not need an importation certificate, best advice, simply carry it in your hold luggage and declare it each time you check in!

Straighforward really, just know the regulations.

I have to fly via Heathrow and will miss my flight if I get stuck in customs.. and there is the possibilty that I will have to fly to Germany first.. (and I'm not opening that can of worms!)

Posting it will just save the hassle.

It has been said here before the FedEx will not take firearms, but the pistol is classed as a toy in the US.. does that mean that I just send it via registered mail or can I FedEx it?

Advertisement