Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards swearword filter...

Options
  • 17-08-2006 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Is it time to get rid?
    I mean, it's so easy to get round and regularly is without any consequences....so what's the real point in having it?

I know that boards likes to be seen as a family friendly environment and that swearing is just a lazy and crass way of expressing yourself, but in modern Ireland (and further afield) bad language appears to be so much more the norm both in the media, on the net and IRL.
    A rightly placed curse can emphasise a point so much more than soemthing non-vulgar....but over use just makes the utterer look stupid, so it's a fine balance.

Só dó wé áll kéép áccéntíng óúr vówéls?
    Or is ****ing time to get with the ****ing program instead of being ****s about it?
    Vote early, vote often!

Perhaps this belongs in feedback, but AH is where most of the pseudo-swearing gets done, so I put it here. Move at will

Time to looose the swear filter? 64 votes

Oh **** yeah!
    0% 0 votes
    No, go away you horrid person, won't someone think of the shildren etc.
    65% 42 votes
    Zany third option (formerly known as Atari Jaguar)
    34% 22 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved. There are some heated debates sometimes and I would rather see a bunch of asteriks than some fool swearing fúck after ever word. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If anything, I think it should be stricter. If you can't be shocking/rude/insulting without resorting to the usual clichés, you're just not trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

What fucking filter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Begone with your wizardry!

Oh and fastest thread move ever?
    Ruu, put down the mouse and step away from the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I wish the fucking cunts would get rid of this stupid fucking filter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How witty and unexpected.

Agreed with Sarky: a ban and filtering on swearing should encourage more creative retorts.
    However, OP's point in view: It's more that the filter is weak at stopping it - so either leave it in tact doing a weak job, remove it altogether[suggested by OP*], or start enforcing the ban on swearing.

* I'm guessing that, as weak as it is, the filter covers ass when it comes to the AUP / legal matters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hmm..testing the fucking filter.

Piece of shit really :v:

O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like the filter except for when you say snigger and get ********

edit > oh they changed it! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mike65 wrote:
    I like the filter except for when you say snigger and get ********

edit > oh they changed it! :p

Mike.

haha...I used get that on US forums all the damn time, so I started to use snicker instead.

There's sometimes I'll type out a profanity only to have it ****ed out, then there's times I'll sp*ll it like so....I never really use the fcuk method or the accented vowels.
    As for usage in arguments? What difference does that really make? Personal abuse is personal abuse and is bannable without the swearing issue ever being taken into it.

BTW what legal matters would relate to swear word usage on here? If TodayFM can play uncut Lilly Allen, etc, at all hours of the day, then what's the problem on the big bad WWW?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Wertz wrote:
    BTW what legal matters would relate to swear word usage on here? If TodayFM can play uncut Lilly Allen, etc, at all hours of the day, then what's the problem on the big bad WWW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wertz wrote:
    Begone with your wizardry!

Oh and fastest thread move ever?
    Ruu, put down the mouse and step away from the monitor.

*waves smoke away from mouse* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Just because people can get around the filter doesn't mean that it should be removed entirely. To the best of my understanding there are ways to prevent people from getting around the filter, what they are I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But but, a minor might be taking a break from looking at women's breasts on the intraweb and stumble upon a thread only to be horribly scarred by the word fuck. Is that what you want on your conscience? Is it?

Then again, if you need to swear in order to say what you want to say, then you're probably being lazy. On the other hand, every now and again, there's nothing like a good fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Beef Curtains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I say keep the filter, and improve the fucking thing! it's not because I'm thinking of the children, fuck them! it's just because if you get rid of it people will be swearing left, right and centre and make a mockery of Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

is Scunthorpe a bad word. it is in other places

this filter is ingenious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I kinda like it the way it is, it's enough to stop people swearing left, right and centre with no good reason, but when someone really wants to swear to make a point, that option is open too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

stevenmu wrote:
    I kinda like it the way it is, it's enough to stop people swearing left, right and centre with no good reason, but when someone really wants to swear to make a point, that option is open too.
    I agree.
    Leave it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

the filter has only ever blocked me once in about 90 posts, with the word F***

I agree that it is weak.
    Basically, everyone is saying the same thing

1) Make it stricter(including those F#cking asteriks)
    2) destroy it, it's a filter that's not fullfilling its pupose

See,
    **** & **** & fúck & fucĶ & FƯCK

....what has the filter caught?
    (sorry about the bad language, i was proving a point)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Arsebiscuits. Sphincter. Wankel Rotary Engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I remember trying to offload a Matsu****a brand video deck on the for sale forums... that was fun.

Also we had problems with the word unimportant for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Belgium

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The fucking filter is alright as it is, there are some ridiculous ones, much like snigger, where you can't even say cucumber, or circumstance or the like.

Leave it the way it fucking is, as it's quite obviously impossible to penetrate.

(hur hur, I said penetrate)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It must also fucking suck if you want to discuss the goings on in typical Irish towns such as Bastard, Nobber, Muff and Pullenass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's to protect kids, I assume, or what?

I don't see the point, don't mind it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I like being able to say fuck, it makes me feel like I have magic powers.

Down with the swear filter! I never understood why certain words were inherently evil or offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Way back, in the mists of time, before most of you were born, I fought this fight. It ultimately led to the catchphrase "foreskin cheese".

I think that instead of the filter turning words into asterisk's it should replace the words with other words like "poop" "flip" and possibly "ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM". It would be hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement