Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards swearword filter...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Drop the filter and you may as well make a public announcement that personal abuse will be allowed.

Like the old saying - if it aint broke dont fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Only the really smart people know how to avoid the fucking filter.

However I agree that in cases foul language should not be used all the time, but in certain cases works well to give your anger of something more noticable to people.

"The fucking wanker scratched my new car"

However excessive use of it towards another user I would not tollerate.

Week bans in my opinion would be handed out to users who use such language.

However while on the subject, the new vB uses an infraction system for use of foul language resulting in 1 point. say 3 of those and your banned for a length of time.

"fuck you OP".

1 point to you sir, 2 left. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I think either leave it as it is or make it stricter, if we see ****! /******* in a post we get the drift of what's being said. I mean we're all adults* here, we don't need things spelled out to us, do we?

* most of the time :D

or how about a filter that leaves the first and last letters in place so we know when people are callings us f*****g b******s or whatever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

muffler wrote:
    Drop the filter and you may as well make a public announcement that personal abuse will be allowed.

Like the old saying - if it aint broke dont fix it

I disagree....we already have charter legislation on personal abuse and we already have ready means for getting around the filter should we so choose.

If I were to say for example, "haha [poster] you're an idiot, go away", I'm banned for personal abuse.
    Or I could have put it much more eloquently and said "haha [poster] you're a fucking idiot, fuck off"....what did the expletive really change? (apart from making me feel better ;) )I'm still banned

I like amp's idea, in fact my other regular forum uses a similar system where the filter is configured to replace certain words with others (in-jokes mostly) and where personal abuse is encouraged and swearing is de facto. (I'm not for a moment suggesting that that would work on a forum the size of boards)

Another way of implementing the filter would be to make it an optional on/off in the user CP (on by default) and tightening the filter to ban alternative spellings of all of the barred expletives. That way we remain family friendly (in fact become even more so) but can be all growed up too if we so choose...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Keep the filter and bring in a smiley allowance too... like one smiley per 10 posts or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Needs more filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

It doesn't block bollocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The rolleye smilie should be removed.
    Hate the little misused bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aye, the amount of people who've used it in situations where I don't think they realised it meant "rolleyes". Their deaths were so meaningless.

:rolleyes:

hitler_rolleyes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

DROP THE DEBT, er, I mean filter!!

shit man, I think it worked!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Leave it as it is or else drop it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I don't think we're going to change the filter. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement