Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning threads started by 0 post users?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

I've been thinking about this one and I believe that many / most new users want to ask something specific and probably start a new thread doing so so blocking threads started by 0 post users will probably put off many would be users. However would it be possible that a system like that used in PI for unregged users be implemented for all 1st posts creating a new thread, a forum mod must approve the post before it appears with the new user being messaged that they must await approval for thread starts. I know this may cause a logjam for many mods in busy forums but would this be any worse than spam?

This may not be technically possible in the method outlined but perhaps something similar could be worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Thats called captcha. However, I recently read about how they've made bots that have over 97% success rate in reading them, so now they're making them harder and harder to read to the point where I sometimes cant tell what the fυck it's supposed to say!
    Captcha is so old school - boards.ie should move to KittenAuth for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

WizZard wrote:
    Captcha is so old school - boards.ie should move to KittenAuth for this
    That is one hell of a good idea. Suprised it wasn't thought of sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It seems like a good idea. But then you think of the kinds of people who like kittens, and ask yourself, do you want that plague upon us.

"OMg, so kute, lol".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also I think this is pretty much the crux of the problem:
    The current image output is very quickly done but not very secure. In a line you're the people responsible for making it harder for image comparison scripts being able to match the picture to a spammers DB of images. A tough task but relatively small problem domain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It'll probably just make them more likely to Spam into the middle of threads where it's even more annoying.

Advertisement