Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive thread started by Moderator

Options
  • 17-08-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hello,

Can the thread entitled 'Who was Jesus? On the Lighter side..' by BrianCalgary please be deleted? If it actually physically cannot be deleted can you please lock it?

The thread is on the Christian forum and was originally stickied, Brian has at least unstickied it at my request..thank you Brian...but it really shouldn't be there at all, I think if a regular poster posted something like that on the Islamic forum about Muhammed, then the post would be deleted and the thread too or locked.

Basically, the thread is posted by a Moderator who claims to be Christian himself.

The joke encourages people to think that it is ok to put Jesus into a joke and that Christians would support this, as Brian is not just a Christian but also a Moderator..the person who kicks out offensive posts, and yet here he is posting this so they might think it must not be offensive to Christians, as they're doing it themselves.

I'm sorry but as a Christian I find that God is the indirect subject of this joke and while I wouldn't dispute with Brian if it was on some jokey forum, it is on the Christian forum.

And as I said, if I did this on the Islamic forum in respect of God or Muhammed, I'd probably be banned for it.

Please delete, for the simple reason some Christians do not condone God at the centre of a joke, but Brians thread appears to make it look like we all do.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Can you link to the thread please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Medina wrote:
    The joke encourages people to think that it is ok to put Jesus into a joke .

can you prove that god would be offended by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Do I need to?

It offends me as a Christian. And it encourages people to think that 'Christians' as a group must think its ok because they do it themselves.

Brian has the responsibility of moderating bad posts, does anyone moderate the moderators in case they post badly? I thought catmods, smods or admins do?

Brian may have had good intentions, and I recognise that, but I can't agree with his means to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The joke encourages people to think that it is ok to put Jesus into a joke
    You think the Lord wouldn't like to be treated as one of the lads? He had a large group of friends after all, I'm sure he couldn't take himself as seriously as the book seems to suggest. Nobody could have stuck him ofr that long if he did, surely...
    I think if a regular poster posted something like that on the Islamic forum about Muhammed, then the post would be deleted and the thread too or locked.
    if I did this on the Islamic forum in respect of God or Muhammed, I'd probably be banned for it.
    Irrelevant. Its not happening there, so speculation on what would happen is useless. Besides, the rules could well be different on those forums.

Brian is the (one of the) moderator(s) of the Christianity forum. He knows the rules, whats acceptable and whats not.
    Brians thread appears to make it look like we all do.
    Meh. You're the only one who complained so far. Stop being insulted for every Christian in general when its only you insulted. If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple as. Let the others have their fun. Frankly, its probably just as insulting to others that you seem to be speaking for a whole when you're the only dissenting voice so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Medina wrote:
    I think if a regular poster posted something like that on the Islamic forum about Muhammed, then the post would be deleted and the thread too or locked.
    Therin lies the difference between Christianity and Islam, Medina, second most holy city of Islam.:rolleyes:
    Let God defend himself/herself/itself if he/she/it so chooses.
    Who are we to interfere?...

I have to say I fail to see how comparing various stereotypes which are traditionally used in a humourous context with the gospels is actually offensive. The items in question (lack of a fair trial, feeding a large crowd, starting a new religion etc etc) are all written in the bible to the best of my knowledge, they're merely being being looked at in a different manner that doesn't show disrespect to the stories or the man in question.

What I think God would or wouldn't like is kind of irrelevant. I am not God's self appointed defender.

What I am is a Christian who is disgusted that the person at the centre of our faith is in a joke where He is made fun of on the Christianity forum. And thats it accepted on the basis of me not knowing what God would /wouldn't like, which is not the point at all.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Perhaps it was a little insensitive to post that thread there. If someone else did it, they would probably be accused of being a flamer.

At the same time, it's not so offensive if someone who is obviously well-meaning and not attempting to flame people posts it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What I am is a Christian who is disgusted that the person at the centre of our faith is in a joke where He is made fun of on the Christianity forum.
    So this would be less insulting to you because its in the Humour forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I think you need to lighten up a little bit. Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.

aidan_walsh, that thread occured to me too but doesn't quite fit the point of having being posted in a christian forum by a christian moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.

Get that off a forune cookie? :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What exactly do you find offensive about it, OP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't see how it's offensive myself. Jesus isn't being made the 'butt' of the joke, he's just a part of it. It's more of a 'laughing with' than 'laughing at' type of thing. Jesus isn't in anyway protrayed negatively in the joke.

I suppose though if you're offended by it, then you're offended by it and there's not much point trying to talk you out of being offended. The question then is should anything that one person considers offensive be removed even if most others don't see any problem with it at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ecksor wrote:
    aidan_walsh, that thread occured to me too but doesn't quite fit the point of having being posted in a christian forum by a christian moderator.
    From reading the post, it would seem that he was trying to put across the point that instead of always taking christanity very seriously, we should sometimes see the lighter side, to encourage people to join their [strike]cult[/strike] religon.

Sorry for be-labouring the point but why would a Christian take "Medina", the name of the second most sacred city of Islam, as a username, and then come on complaining about the actions of a Christian with regards to dis-respect of Christ? Do you have an agenda? Are you saying that Muslims are above that, so we should be too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

OP, I think it's time to get Joe Duffy on the case!

sjones wrote:
    I think you need to lighten up a little bit. Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.

Look my mind is open, thats why I've said I don't want it on the Christianity forum. No I wouldn't be less insulted, but that is the case where I shouldn't read it. Of course I open up threads in the Christianity forum, because I don't think that God is going to be the centre of the joke.

So this would be less insulting to you because its in the Humour forum?

No it wouldn't be less insulting but even if I complained I wouldn't really have the right to ask it to be removed. I think I do have the right to ask it to be removed now because its on the Christian forum and its from a Christian moderator it gives us the impression of being able to laugh about Jesus.

I know the actions given are in the bible but come on, the way they have been used and the context of the joke is not funny to a Christian who reveres Jesus.

Faith, thank you at least for your open honest perspective of at least asking why i find it offensive, even if you don't agree with me.

It shouldn't be removed just because I find it offensive but because it makes Christians look like they condone jokes about God. Anyone would say thats hypocritical. And a lot of us don't condone such jokes with God in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

mike65 wrote:
    Get that off a forune cookie? :)

Mike.

IIRC, it was an automated BitchX quit message years ago. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Medina wrote:
    Christian moderator it gives us the impression of being able to laugh about Jesus.

Yea imagine that. How terrible would that be. That was probably his intention btw.

Hagar wrote:
    Sorry for be-labouring the point but why would a Christian take "Medina", the name of the second most sacred city of Islam, as a username, and then come on complaining about the actions of a Christian with regards to dis-respect of Christ? Do you have an agenda? Are you saying that Muslims are above that, so we should be too?

Hagar please, stop over analysing my username. I have no agenda, I didn't pick it to say anything about Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Of course I open up threads in the Christianity forum, because I don't think that God is going to be the centre of the joke.

Logical non-sequitur.

Mike.

Were you in boyzone? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

buddyc.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I for one certainly don't see anything offensive in the post. Humour does not imply disrespect in my opinion.
    The consensus on the forum is very much against you on this one.

On the topic of getting banned for doing something similar on the islam forum, I'm pretty sure you would get a rap on the knuckles, but thats the nature of the mods there, it does not mean that a similar stance must/will be taken elsewhere.

Medina wrote:
    Hagar please, stop over analysing my username. I have no agenda, I didn't pick it to say anything about Muslims.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't call it "over analysing" in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If someone sent round an e-mail with my name in those jokes, I'd probably have a good laugh and be chuffed at the attention. The Jesus portrayed in the Bible liked a drink and enjoyed a healthy social life. It doesn't say anywhere that he went around with a fork shoved up his ass all day long, that privilege is reserved for you, Medina. Try lightening up some time, and stop trying to validate your statements by pretending that every Christian is as uptight and easily offended as you.

Asok

You're only hurting yourself with this.
    Thanks for intentionally trying to offend me, appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

So Jesus, Mohammed and Moses walk into a motel room...

... They're there to have homosexual relations :o:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement