Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive thread started by Moderator

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Medina, I think you're crazy.

I read the thread in question, and at no point was Christianity "Attacked" as you've said here, or "making God the butt of your jokes" as you've said here. Infact, there's nothing stated in the jokes that are in any way, shape or form disrespectfull to Jesus.

All there is to the jokes is drawing parallels between Jesus and people. Now unless you find comparison between Jesus and people offensive (*cough* God made man in his own image *cough*) then you don't have any arguement at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Stark wrote:
    If someone sent round an e-mail with my name in those jokes, I'd probably have a good laugh and be chuffed at the attention. The Jesus portrayed in the Bible liked a drink and enjoyed a healthy social life. It doesn't say anywhere that he went around with a fork shoved up his ass all day long, that privilege is reserved for you, Medina. Try lightening up some time, and stop trying to validate your statements by pretending that every Christian is as uptight and easily offended as you.

Why are you getting so nasty?
    Did I attack you some way Stark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Seems like a bad choice of place to post it imo, I'm actually completely with Medina on this one - if not for the original post then for some of the stuff that came after it, which certainly isn't befitting a Christianity forum, a place for people who want to discuss their religion.
    There are so many forums where this would have been more appropriate

A bit of respect and common sense isn't too much to ask for in these five, or six forums is it?

EDIT: looking at some of these posts above, this thread itself is denigrating into blatant childishness. If the girl is offended the least you could do is stop adding to it with those references.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man shall confess him also before the angels of God; but he who denies Me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who will speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him. And when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not become anxious about how or what you should speak in your defense, or what you should say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say (Luke 12:9-12).
    Je...bus, would you lighten up‽ Even He'd get over it. [The bible's open to interpretation, whether you like to think so or not]
    It's not like it was the joke were Jesus walks into an inn with nails...

Er, anyways. Much ado about nothing.
    Jokes should go into Humour. I can see how the OP might get offended. I completely disagree with this zealous persecution of all-things-not-100%-ass-kissing but maybe it should be considered moving it?

father_ted.jpg

Medina, I think you're crazy.

I read the thread in question, and at no point was Christianity "Attacked" as you've said here, or "making God the butt of your jokes" as you've said here. Infact, there's nothing stated in the jokes that are in any way, shape or form disrespectfull to Jesus.

All there is to the jokes is drawing parallels between Jesus and people. Now unless you find comparison between Jesus and people offensive (*cough* God made man in his own image *cough*) then you don't have any arguement at all.

Using that quote to justify the joke is not really good enough Karl.
    Jesus is the centre of Christianity and believed to be the Son of God by both me and Brian. Trying to equate us as 'like each other' drawing parallels is outrageous, in the same way as if I said I am equal to the Son of God that would be outrageous. It works both ways.

Look, this is turning into a bandwagon for people to take a swipe at me, because of what I think, which defeats the whole 'attack the post and not the poster'. I haven't gotten personal with anyone but everyones getting personal with me.

At the end of the day no one is really looking at why this might be wrong to post in the Christianity forum. Which is the point. And Jesus is made fun of, He is the butt of this joke.

I'm trying honestly to show that this joke is not right where it is.

Saying I:
    -Don't have an open mind
    -Am crazy
    -have a fork shoved up my ass
    -need to lighten up
    etc etc are not really serious responses to a serious complaint. But people are allowed have their opinion and so am I, and its just plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Medina wrote:
    And Jesus is made fun of, He is the butt of this joke.
    That is your opinion, which most people don't share.

I can honestly understand why you believe its wrong. But tbh thats my problem. You're aren't looking at this from a larger perspective. The op was trying put an idea across in laymans terms about why jesus was everyman, which is why people were able to follow him (and still do) so easily. They rcognise a bit of themselves in him.Would you have taken offence to St. Patrick comparing the holy trinity to a weed? Comedy is the voice of the people, and I believe the OP was trying to get a point across to those people. As well as having a laugh (heaven forbid!)

Medina wrote:
    in the same way as if I said I am equal to the Son of God that would be outrageous.

So we're not all god's children then?
    Medina wrote:
    I'm trying honestly to show that this joke is not right where it is.

I'd tend to agree with you on that. It's probably something that does belong in the humour forum, and if you look at any of the other religious boards, none of them have jokes about their subject matter. I imagine a joke about Islam would get you banned sharply.

So while there's a place for everything, and I've no arguement with that, what I do have issue with is your spurious claims about how the joke "Attacks Christianity" or how it's making Jesus the 'Butt' of the jokes. It isn't doing any such thing, and you're just being outright apocryphal about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

There’s a very positive and open attitude to discussion on the Christianity Forum. I can’t see what all the fuss is about over such a minor thing. There are threads there at present on substantial issues like whether there is actually a biblical basis for claiming Jesus is the son of God, stuff which would surely be potentially more challenging than some truly harmless humour.

The Christianity Forum is a place where people of all religions and none explore these topics, and I think we all appreciate the positive attitude that enables this. The thread in question is surely just a minor diversion to lighten the mood, like the Belief-O-Matic thread that’s also going there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hiya Medina

I can accept that you were offended by the thread, I think your choice of thread title may have gotten you off to a bad start here as you are stating that the moderator has created an offensive thread, and im sure a large number of people are disappointed when they are not offended nor do they find the thread offensive.

Its probably reflects in some small way how many of us have become more distant from our religious/spititual beliefs over the last 3 decades or more.

In a situtation like this I would ask WWJD. I would like to think he would have a polite discussion with the forum moderator and suggest that an open and frank discussion in that forum might give a better indication of how other christians felt when they read the thread.

After all it probably easier to poll those forum users first before spreading the word to other fora.

Vex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Medina wrote:
    But people are allowed have their opinion and so am I, and its just plain wrong.
    In your opinion.

So are you saying that if one person is offended that the everybody else has to fall in line with the opinion of that one person?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nebra

Medina, your OTT, if you choose to be offended thats up to you.
    I don't see how Brian broke any rules.
    Religion / spirituality threads, do you really expect them to be non provocative ?
    I see that its easier to drop miss Alther's quote than live by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jesus, lol?

Schuhart wrote:
    There’s a very positive and open attitude to discussion on the Christianity Forum. I can’t see what all the fuss is about over such a minor thing. There are threads there at present on substantial issues like whether there is actually a biblical basis for claiming Jesus is the son of God, stuff which would surely be potentially more challenging than some truly harmless humour.

The Christianity Forum is a place where people of all religions and none explore these topics, and I think we all appreciate the positive attitude that enables this. The thread in question is surely just a minor diversion to lighten the mood, like the Belief-O-Matic thread that’s also going there at the moment.

If its such a minor thing to you, then why are you defending it?
    Its bigger and harmful to me because:

1) It puts God in a joke which I don't agree with.
    2) Its on the Christian forum from a Christian moderator whose job is to kick out bad posts, so therefore it looks like Christians have no problem with this kind of thing.
    3) It makes Christians look like we can 'take the piss out of our own religion'.
    4) It might make non-Christians feel like they can post jokes about Jesus and if we find it offensive , we might look hypocritical.
    5) It then becomes hard to draw a line between offensive joke and non offensive jokes so it's better not to have any in that forum

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Medina wrote:
    a Christian moderator whose job is to kick out bad posts
    In who's opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The joke tries to take jesus of a pedestal and bring him closer to people to make them identify with him.
    This is something that Jesus susposedily did himself, he went among the people to get to know them and to let them know him and his words and deeds.

Thaedydal wrote:
    The joke tries to take jesus of a pedestal and bring him closer to people to make them identify with him.
    This is something that Jesus susposedily did himself, he went among the people to get to know them and to let them know him and his words and deeds.

I know, I appreciate the intention but the end doesn't justify the means here in my opinion. I know what the joke is 'supposed' to do, but look at the downsides to what it may do in my previous post. The downside kind of outweighs the good here I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

The Bible is full of quotes about laughter and joy. This is just a sampling of them.
    And below the Scripture texts are some quotes from famous people on the
    importance of humor in our lives.
    Scripture texts
    Gen. 21:6: “Now Sarah said, ‘God has brought laughter for me; everyone who hears will
    laugh with me.’”

Psalms 16:11: “You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in
    your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”

Ps. 68:3: “But let the righteous be joyful; let them exult before God; let them be jubilant
    with joy.”

Ps. 96:11: “Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice.”

Ps. 107:22b: “…and tell of his deeds with songs of joy.”

Ps. 126:2: “Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of
    joy…”

Ps. 126:5: “May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy”

Ps. 128:2b: “…you shall be happy, and it shall go well with you.” (those who walk in the
    Lord’s ways)

Proverbs 3:4a (for everything a season): “…a time to weep, and a time to laugh.”

Prov. 3:12: “I know that there is nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy
    themselves as long as they live.”

Prov: 17:22: “A cheerful heart is a good medicine, but a downcast spirit dries up the
    bones.”

Isaiah 49:13a: “Sing for joy, o heavens, and exult, o earth; break forth, o mountains, into
    singing!”

Is: 65:18: “But be glad and rejoice forever in what I am creating; for I am about to create
    Jerusalem as a joy and its people as a delight.”

Quotes
    Victor Borge: “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.”

Comedian/actor Alan Alda: “When people are laughing, they’re generally not killing one
    another.”

Psychotherapist John McBride: “Laughter is God’s hand on the shoulder of a troubled
    world.” (also attributed to country comedienne Minnie Pearl)

Mahatma Gandhi: “If I had no sense of humor, I should long ago have committed
    suicide.”

Writer E.B. White: “Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but the thing dies in the
    process.”

Newspaperman H.L. Mencken: defined Puritanism as “that haunting feeling that
    somewhere, someplace, somebody is happy”

Writer T.S. Eliot: “Humor is also a way of saying something serious.”

Author George Bernard Shaw: “When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden
    truth.”

Comedian Jay Leno: “You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh—it’s as
    simple as that.”

Author Kathleen Fischer:
    Humor …”loosens our perspectives and the tenacity with which we hold to established
    patterns of thought.”
    “…loosens our bodies and emotions and lightens the connections among us.”
    “…softens the edges of our cynicism and reveals the nonsense in what appears to be
    sensible–the inconsistencies and incongruity in all human behavior.”
    “…humor is an indication that we are still capable of being surprised.” (as happened with
    Sarah in the Old Testament)

Writer Anne LaMott: “Laughter is carbonated holiness.” (from her book Plan B)
    Cartoonist Bil Keane (“Family Circus”): “Laughter is not all ‘ho, ho, ho’ and ‘ha, ha, ha.’
    It’s also a quiet inner warmth that spreads good vibes throughout the mind and body.”
    He also said that without humor we focus on failures, defeats, lack of fulfillment.
    Prominent Protestant minister Elton Trueblood: “Never trust a theologian who doesn’t
    have a sense of humor” AND “The critics of Christ have, on the whole, been as blind to
    his humor as have his admirers.”

Quaker Tom Mullen, in his book Laughing Out Loud and Other Religious Experiences:
    “True believers need the perspective humor provides. Otherwise, they become as selfrighteous
    and unfunny as Luke’s Pharisee…”

Why couldn't Brian have posted Psalms like this then to show the lighter side of Christianity?

Do you see what I mean..there are ways and means, I just think he picked the wrong way.

Yes thats my opinion. And no if the Admin guy posted here and still the thread is not locked or removed or moved then its not going to be so my job here is over.

Goodnight all.

OOps i was actually trying to emphasise the importance of humour and how light heartedness and being able to laugh about things in these troubled times was of the utmost importance to our well being.

while i can understand you being personally offended, i, as a chrisitan am not. It is a light hearted view. I am sure it was not meant in an offensive way.

I'm from ballymun i laugh at jokes about people from ballymun. I used to be blonde, back then i laughed at blonde jokes!!

without laughter we have nothing and to quote " a cheerful heart is a good medicine but a downcast spirit dries up the bones"

now who are we to say that jesus didnt have a good sense of humour. cheer up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Medina wrote:
    Why couldn't Brian have posted Psalms like this then to show the lighter side of Christianity?
    Bescause we wouldn't have read it. We would have seen another boring thread, and ignored it.

See, i'm not even offended that he said my post was boring :) even though in my second post i was defending the OP of the joke however...

laugh and the world laughs with you, frown and you frown alone. or summit like that

Medina wrote:
    Its bigger and harmful to me because:

Harmful to you...?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Medina wrote:
    Look my mind is open, thats why I've said I don't want it on the Christianity forum. No I wouldn't be less insulted, but that is the case where I shouldn't read it. Of course I open up threads in the Christianity forum, because I don't think that God is going to be the centre of the joke.
    wasn't the thread titled: Who was Jesus? On the lighter side! ?
    God wrote:
    "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."
    christianity explodes.

[/pedantic]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thank god you haven't seen my Jesus on a rubber cross visual joke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Medina wrote:
    If its such a minor thing to you, then why are you defending it?
    I take it the fact this thread exists means there's a suggestion its a major thing. I'm dissenting and saying its a minor thing.

Incidently, how's the wedding coming along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Medina wrote:
    No it wouldn't be less insulting but even if I complained I wouldn't really have the right to ask it to be removed. I think I do have the right to ask it to be removed now because its on the Christian forum and its from a Christian moderator it gives us the impression of being able to laugh about Jesus.

Uhmm ok I'm quite confused. You have "the right" to ask for a thread about Jesus to be removed from the "All-things-Jesus-related" forum? Why? Because you're a Christian?

The thread was a bit of light-hearted fun. It's not going to do any damage to the Christian faith if people, including the Christians who regularly post there, have a look at Jesus in a humourous and light-hearted manner.

You should seriously learn to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gandalf wrote:
    Thank god you haven't seen my Jesus on a rubber cross visual joke :D
    Please PM meh the linkeh, or posteh the linkeh in AH.

Schuhart wrote:
    I take it the fact this thread exists means there's a suggestion its a major thing. I'm dissenting and saying its a minor thing.

Incidently, how's the wedding coming along?

:eek:

I'm risking a ban here for his but i cant believe you are wasting our time with this tripe over being offended by light hearted banter, putting Brian in the spotlight, publicly criticizing him for posting this thread on a christian site when its obvious you do not have enough faith in it that you have made such decisions as to allow your unborn children to become muslim in order to be with a man?? it boggles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Whoa!

On that note, nothing to see here, moving swiftly along etc etc.

Nice weather lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement