Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debian and Ubuntu

• 17-08-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Newbie Qs.

Could you tell me please whats the differance between Debian and Ubuntu, Command wise. (if you get me)

Can I use debian guides to install stuff on ubuntu, command by command ?

Or do I change something in particular everytime, stuff that I should watch out for?

Sorry if the question is very vague, a general round about answer would suffice. I just hear alot on various forums referances to debian guides.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ubuntu is based on Debian so in general I would say there is not a lot of difference but then again what would I know, I use Fedora as my Linux Distro of choice.

MC

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

General roundabout answer: Debian instructions will generally work on Ubuntu. There are no command differences, but there may be minor package differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks oscarBravo.
    minor package differences

Would this be like package versions? one uses v4.5 another is still on v3.0
    Is their a quick way I can tell what the latest version of a package is?

For instance I had trouble last night trying to the command below working
    # apt-get install php4 php4-gd php4-cgi php4-mysql libapache2-mod-php4 php4-pear php4-ldap php4-snmp

So tried replacing php4 with php5 which seemed to work, except for the php4-pear piece.

Is this the kind of problem I should expect to see when using debian guides, that I need to go out and find the latest version of the packages in question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

As others have stated, Ubuntu is basically Debian, but polished and using newer software. In terms of commands you can probably safely use Debian commands on an Ubuntu system.

As for your problem with packages, that's really up to the repositories that are used. There should be php4 repositories for Ubuntu... Normally php4 and php5 are seperated because they aren't totally compatible, so sometimes you'd need to install both versions. So normally an ubuntu package might be newer or at least the default package on ubuntu would be newer.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is their a quick way I can tell what the latest version of a package is?
    apt-cache policy:
    [COLOR=Lime]paul@orac[/COLOR]:[COLOR=Blue]~[/COLOR]$ apt-cache policy mozilla-firefox
    mozilla-firefox:
      Installed: 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.5-0ubuntu6.06.1
      Candidate: 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.5-0ubuntu6.06.1
      Version table:
     *** 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.5-0ubuntu6.06.1 0
            500 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/main Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.3-0ubuntu3 0
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Perfect thanks again Oscarbravo :)

Enjoy your weekend

Advertisement