Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you want to play for Boards.ie ?

Options
  • 17-08-2006 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Boards soccer team was founded on this great day by Father Stekelly and Brother Seansouth...4 score and 3 threads ago.

Anyway we plan to join www.astro.ie 11 a side played on full size astro pitches (with some different rules).
    The league deadline is 25th of september, its a good league from what i seen tonight with a few more bodies and a level of fitness we would have a decent team assuming everyone can play as team in an 11.

The league fees are roughly €1800 up front before the deadline so before you hit the OH PICK MEEEEE!!!!! button. Take heed of this:

1. It rains in Ireland and gets really cold.
    2. The league is tough but worth it.
    3. We need a squad of 20+ players.
    4 We intend to play on a thursday night or possibly tue or wed if everyone goes for it.
    5 Game kicks offs are 7,8,9,10pm yes 10PM you only get a few of these and every team gets the same amount, its sucks but has to be done.
    6. We want €100 off every player up front details will be posted soon, any extra monies will go into pot for footballs/jersey if we dont get a sponsor/beer at end of season.
    7 The grounds are some of the best in ireland full shower and post (pre if you need it) match beer and parking and really really nice grounds.
    8 If you still reading your the sort we want :D

Dont apply/join if your not committed to finishing the season that means 18 league games and 2 cup games(possibly more if were great)

If you want in post on this thread but bear in mind if you hand over cash to the team, you dont get it back (unless its before 25th of september) but after that date thats it your in for the season.

So ....how many did i win over?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

How good are we talking about here?

Maybe I could join ye for a training session or a friendly just to see the standard that we would have? I don't mind if we'd be shite (within reason!) in comparison to other teams, I just don't want to be the crappest footballer on the internet :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I would love to play but couldn't afford €100. I spoke to SteKelly and told him that if you's were ever looking for a player e.g. Short for some games just to send me a message. I was supposed to go to training today but realised to late and couldn't get a lift down will definitly be there for the next one. If that's no problem with the team obviously will pay subs when/if playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What are the numbers looking like at the moment? Would be well up for something like this, subs fees would be no bother though obviously if I paid them id be looking for a game!

...and whats everyones fitness levels at???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mark me down as 99% in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What are the numbers looking like at the moment? Would be well up for something like this, subs fees would be no bother though obviously if I paid them id be looking for a game!

...and whats everyones fitness levels at???

Fitness 0, paying subs has never in any team i have palyed for gauranteed a game all it has done is made sure there was a pitch and a ref. We dont technically have a manager atm but whoever he/she is will pick the tam based on whose is there at the time and if training is req then that will feature but mainly they pick the team. But no to paying and playing its a team not a service.

/sorry for tough love answer :o

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

I'd like to do this, but I'm living in Dublin 1 and dont drive.

Which pitch(es) would we be playing on? i.e. the same one most of the time or different pitch every week?

I'm 22 and can play CB, RB, CM, RM, but will play anywhere really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

mark me down as there. I'm in england training at the moment and wont be back till the end of the month tho.

and i'm not very fit.

and i've two left feet.

good benchwarmer tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I definitely want to play if possible, is there still a slot? I have some coaching experience, all be it with younger teams, so I may be able to help out with some fitness work and some ball work as well as playing.

When and where do we go next to join up?

€100 wont be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Count me in. Money up front is not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

count me in

• Advertisement

I've got the money so count me in. Don't have it yet but will have it by sunday. Yippie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

already had my name in the hat for this. Like i said already i won't be able to make every training session or game due to work but i'm cool with that and having to pay the cash.

my fitness levels are a bit crap at the moment, but this could be just what i need to give me the kick to get back in shape and give up the fags.

can't make the beers etc this weekend but if i'm off on the next training kickabout day I'll do my best to come along so ya can all have a laugh at me lol Phoenic park is only down the road from me in KIlmainham so that'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

KdjaCL wrote:
    Fitness 0, paying subs has never in any team i have palyed for gauranteed a game all it has done is made sure there was a pitch and a ref. We dont technically have a manager atm but whoever he/she is will pick the tam based on whose is there at the time and if training is req then that will feature but mainly they pick the team. But no to paying and playing its a team not a service.

/sorry for tough love answer :o

kdjac

Ah yeah, completely understand that... was just thinking if theres 30 odd people turning up getting a game will be tough considering only 14 can play thats all I was wondering.

Still interested though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So how are you guys doing for numbers at the moment???

I'd like to play but training twice a week for my local team at the moment, what kind of standard was at the kick about the other night?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Is it only for Dubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

*mono* wrote:
    Is it only for Dubs?

I doubt it. No. . cant be.

I guess if it had to said it was for a certain spectrum of people then maybe
    boards.ie members and friends :confused:

The Gaffer is the man to ask but I doubt its just for Dubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Sorry I mean people living in and around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

*mono* wrote:
    Sorry I mean people living in and around Dublin?

If you can make the training and matches each week then I don't think anyone will care where you are coming from. I'm commuting from Serbia for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

just saw all this now and it looks good. reckon I'd be on for at least coming down to a training session to see what the standard and buzz are like and hopefully I'd be able to join up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Good stuff Jules! Hopefully see you at the next one and I hope the backs getting better :)

• Advertisement

Any idea what day the league will be on Tuesday, Wedensday or Thursday?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

I'd love to play if it's at all local to me (D1). I don't have much talent but I can promise you endless Robbie Savage style yapping at heels and Carsleyesque defensive midfielding.

TommyGrav wrote:
    I'd love to play if it's at all local to me (D1). I don't have much talent but I can promise you endless Robbie Savage style yapping at heels and Carsleyesque defensive midfielding.

Its one bus for you, no idea what that bus is but theres only :D Or if you drive its just off the stillorgan road so a fairly straight drive

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ansan

While I know there were only about 12 (or so) of us at the first training, it seems that a lot of people have been expressing interest. So, does anyone have any idea how many players have actually "pledged their undying allegiance" to team boards.ie?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People can type all they want on internet message boards, it won't be until we see who turns up on Thursday who actually wants to play.

Even then, I don't think some of the people where there last time are coming back, so I wouldn't say people have committed until they turn up to at least three training sessions.

Even then, it's not until people actually part with their hundred bills that I'd consider them fully committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have you any idea how many said they'd pay €100? Me and my friend will anyway. That's 2 so far:)

if everyone who said they would pay paid, seansotuh be rolling into the pheno in a hummer :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

KdjaCL wrote:
    if everyone who said they would pay paid, seansotuh be rolling into the pheno in a hummer :D

kdjac

:D

Ill definately pay anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ansan

That was kinda what I was wondering about, from a quick look through the teamboards pages it looks like there may be enough for 2 teams. I know several of those won't turn up and we won't have a real idea how many are really interested until after a few trainings and until people started coughing up the cash, but what if there are 30+ players on the Boardeaux books (it's not unthinkable)? An A team and a B team? a north-side team and a southside team? Sell a few dodgy players Iain Dowie (if he bought Djimi Traore, he'll buy anyone)?

I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Somehow I don't think that'll be a problem.

I foresee the people that turn up on Thursday to be the main herat of the team though. I feel some people were waiting to see if it got off the ground before saying they'd turn up, and they will arrive on Thursday this week. Others have said they are interested but couldn't make it last week, and can't come this week. To those people I'll say they should try to come next week.

All in all, I think we'll have about eighteen to twenty people, which is fine, because not everyone will be able to play every week.

Advertisement