Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you want to play for Boards.ie ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I agree with Sean, its unlikely we will get more than 20 who will willingly pay 100 quid, football teams are generally hard to get players for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

agreed. Talk is cheap, especially on an internet message board. The proof of it will be in the Park on a cold and possibly rainy thursday evening. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

L5 wrote:
    agreed. Talk is cheap, especially on an internet message board. The proof of it will be in the Park on a cold and possibly rainy thursday evening. :)

It rained last week where were you :D

The difference between this league and others is it asks for money up front, and thats a brilliant idea, as once you hand over 100 quifd your gonna show. We didt make that rue but it will work out well for us.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    It rained last week where were you :D

The difference between this league and others is it asks for money up front, and thats a brilliant idea, as once you hand over 100 quifd your gonna show. We didt make that rue but it will work out well for us.

kdjac

I eh.....had to wash my hair :D
    Yeah, the 100 euro is a great idea, really sorts the bluffers from the committed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Going on last weeks session, what level would people say the players were at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

On a scale of one to ten, some were one, some were two, some were three, some were four, some were five and some were six.

But we won't know anything until we have a complete squad, and people sorted into proper positions. Which is my job.

Loads of people are worried about the standard, I wonder if they are worried they wont be good enough or if the standard is poxy?

Both Draupnir, I'm interested in playing but don't want to get into something that totally serious, i.e.you lose the ball and have 10 lads screaming at you ( I get that on a sunday monring already) but I also don't want to see lads not able to run or unable to pass a ball 10 yards without fecking it up.

irish1 wrote:
    Both Draupnir, I'm interested in playing but don't want to get into something that totally serious, i.e.you lose the ball and have 10 lads screaming at you ( I get that on a sunday monring already) but I also don't want to see lads not able to run or unable to pass a ball 10 yards without fecking it up.
    Somewhere in the middle tbh, without the shouting.

But I'm sure that will come as we all get to know each other.:D

Sounds good, and the manager will he adopt a subtle supportive approach or roar insults to get the best from his stars :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm with Irish1, it really ruins a nice game of football when people just take it way too seriously. As long as people are trying their best, that's all you can ask of them. If they are staying back to talk talk to the keeper about a thread in after hours that's reason for a quick hmon lads! but if they lose the ball under pressure, or with a pass that just went horribly wrong, there's nothing they can do, no point in shouting. Also, if someone trips up over the ball, I'd prefer for everyone to start laughing rather than everyone going mad.

I'm not joining this with the intention to win the league, I'm joining to have fun and to get fit, I'll put in as much effort as I can into each game, if our team wins the leaugue, great, but if we don't I'll be happy knowing I had fun.

It matters not who won or lost but how you played the game and all that:D

irish1 wrote:
    Sounds good, and the manager will he adopt a subtle supportive approach or roar insults to get the best from his stars :D

take advantage of the fact it's not american football and he wont have a cup on, a swift kick to the balls and he'll be set straight:D :p

cormie wrote:
    It matters not who won or lost but how you played the game and all that:D

"Football isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that"

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seansouth wrote:
    People can type all they want on internet message boards, it won't be until we see who turns up on Thursday who actually wants to play.

Even then, I don't think some of the people where there last time are coming back, so I wouldn't say people have committed until they turn up to at least three training sessions.

Even then, it's not until people actually part with their hundred bills that I'd consider them fully committed.

Speaking of money, how are we coming along on the bank account front?

Stekelly wrote:
    Speaking of money, how are we coming along on the bank account front?
    I'll be setting it up next week. My shift this week means I can't do it this week.

irish1 wrote:

I totally agree with you man, once someone commits, pays the cash and puts in the effort, there wont be a bad word from me.

I will be in charge of bad words so.

kdjac

Everyone needs a role ;)

Draupnir wrote:
    Everyone needs a role ;)

Was the gimp suit style jersey for you?

kdjac

It is now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

yeah there does seem to be concern about the levels from people ( me included ) but i say feck it lads. its a chance to get fit, have a laugh, meet some new Ffootball loving people and maybe hopefully rediscover my youthful playing skill.

I'll expect a bit of a rollicking from people if i make a massive fcuk-up, thats part of it. As long as it stays friendly and there is no back biting or talking behind peoples back then it'll all be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

can i be team medic??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

god know's we'll need one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I play for enjoyment but find it hard to enjoy it if I'm bustin my chops and playing through the pain barrier only for some punk to be freeloading it and strolling around. If everyone's giving it a good honest effort and we play to our full potential I can enjoy that win, lose, or draw cos that's what I enjoy about sport - giving it all you got and finding out where that puts you, then trying to improve on that. So regardless of the talent, if there's plenty of honest toil it'll go a fair way.

As for roaring abuse at each other, here's my stance on it: if you are attempting to do the right thing and it doesn't come off you get a 'nice idea, hard luck, it'll come off next time' cos you were trying to take the right option. If you are attempting to do the wrong thing (e.g. beat a man in our half) and muck it up you deserve to be pulled up on it (you should probably be pulled up even if it does come off cos next time it won't) - for some lads best way for that is a quiet word, for others it has to be an absolute rollickin, you gotta know the man to figure that out. Only exception is when we're in the final third - you gotta let people take a fair few risks in there and take the shot the odd time when a pass was on to keep the defence guessing.

yeah that sums it up well, as long as it's obvious somebody put in the effort even if they messed up all should be good:)

Most bitching ie me comes from players not tracking their man, we all get one each and when they have the ball your man better have you in front of him.

:)

kdjac

Advertisement