Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheaters!

Options
  • 17-08-2006 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine is a compulsive cheater when it comes to computer games. I mean once he gets a game he is straight on the net looking for cheats. personally I find that cheating in a game the first time you play it ruins the experience. the type of games I am talking about are RPG's or Strategies, ones where you have a great laugh playing it normally. the latest game for him is San Andreas, I finished it on the Xbox without cheats and I loved the game. I mean there was none of this "oh no the cops are after me, what's the cheat to get rid of them" or "crap, I'm out of ammo, what's that cheat?" it was "where is the nearest spray place" or "where's the nearest Ammunation". but as soon as he got the game he used invincibility, all weapons and all that. I tried telling him it's a stupid thing to do, but he doesn't listen and, from my point of view anyway, isn't getting the full enjoyment out of the game.

are there any others that hate seeing people ruining a great gaming experience with cheats. Don't get me wrong, I use cheats, but only after I finish a game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Well he bought the game to enjoy it and if by cheating he achieves that, let him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

with the original GTA i can understand, where the main appeal (to use 12 years old anyway at the time) was causing as much violent sh*t as possible and then speed away from cops, so of course the all weapons cheat proved very popular.

But for most (if not all) games today, cheats would be very secondary affair.

trying to think of games i used cheats on recently...the only one i can think of was doom 3, but thats cause I had become so incredable bored with it and was desperate to see the
    hell level that was so good i was told, second it sent me back to the base I was like f*ck this i'm turning this off

i liked using cheats on the original half life, after i had completed it...was fun blowing up the first transport chopper with a rpg when your in the vent and it crashes down on top of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I thought Doom 3 was pretty good actually, I had fun doing the levels, however the Cyber Demon was a big letdown for me, far too easy, some of the mini bosses were much better

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Used cheats on Wolf3d, Doom1, Doom2, and Duke3d, mainly cos I was a n00b back then. Nightmare on Doom2 is not fun, I tell ye. But I've since played them all without cheats, and yeah, more fun trying to evade Hitler with only 20% health, looking for some ammo to finish him off, tbh.

Oh, and I loved the way, in Rise of the Triads, if you typed in IDDQD, you were reduced to 1 health:D Great laugh.

the_syco wrote:
    more fun trying to evade Hitler with only 20% health, looking for some ammo to finish him off, tbh.

Ah wolf3d, brings me back...

Last time I used cheats was for starcraft - could never finish the single player mission, and while I was close I just wanted to see the ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

the_syco wrote:
    Oh, and I loved the way, in Rise of the Triads, if you typed in IDDQD, you were reduced to 1 health:D Great laugh.
    Ah... *nods blankly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

the_syco wrote:
    more fun trying to evade Hitler with only 20% health, looking for some ammo to finish him off, tbh.

best sentance i've read today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Myth wrote:
    Ah wolf3d, brings me back...
    Aye what a game, had a shareware version installed on my XP machine a few months ago. Only the first episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Provided that the people in question don't use them when they're playing online, let them cheat if they want. It's not really interfering with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

grimloch wrote:
    Provided that the people in question don't use them when they're playing online, let them cheat if they want. It's not really interfering with anyone else.
    QFT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I don't generally cheat in games because, as you say, I find it can usually just end up robbing the game of interest.

But I actually find the GTA games to be an exception to this and to be much more enjoyable with the cheats!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Only use cheats when ive sucked every last bit of enjoyment out of a game without replaying, eg. Resident Evil 4 is a completely different game after beating it for the umpteenth time and then turning on infinite ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

for gta games i usually wait till ive completed the storyline before entering a cheat at all. and then its for quick fun.

anyone ever played 'surfing pickup' jump into the back of a pickup and put a few shots into it whiles its driving, sometimes it will stop and the guy will get out (that cnut gets 2 to the face ruin my fun will ya) but most of the time it will drive like a maniac trying to get away from imaginary chasers. now do drive by's and get cops after you. FUN ON THE BUN :D
    (just one of many mini games you can invent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I played that a lot in VC, there was one brilliant vehicle for that, you couldn't fall off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Rhyme wrote:
    Only use cheats when ive sucked every last bit of enjoyment out of a game without replaying, eg. Resident Evil 4 is a completely different game after beating it for the umpteenth time and then turning on infinite ammo.
    never bothered with cheats for that gmae, the chicago typewriter was plenty fun enough for me:D
    gonna try pro mode as well when i get a new tv sorted out...

I guess the last game I remember cheating at seriously was GTAIII, I've become a far more honest gamer since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

I just think its stupid when people pay 60 to 70 euro on a game and as soon as they play it they decide to put action replay on it.I know one guy who never use to play a final fantasy game without a action replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

tis a bit thick alright, it is akin to buying a book only to have somebody describe adlib the plot to you as you skim the pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i never understood the market for action replay cds and carts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Action Replay saved me the hassle of buying a second Gameboy & Pokemon cart.

All I wanted to do was catch them all! (oh, and get 100 of each TM... and a Surfing Pikachu...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

the_syco wrote:
    Used cheats on Wolf3d, Doom1, Doom2, and Duke3d, mainly cos I was a n00b back then. Nightmare on Doom2 is not fun, I tell ye. But I've since played them all without cheats, and yeah, more fun trying to evade Hitler with only 20% health, looking for some ammo to finish him off, tbh.

I tend to use cheats for these types of games for the simple fact that I just want to run around blowing stuff up and vent in game when I play these.

Prefered the RotT.dopefish "cheat" myself, let the sillyness commence! Though one cheat I think everyone should use in it is the more gore one. >:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement