Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perhaps this is a young peoples forum

• 18-08-2006 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

My baggage is that some of my relatives in West Cork were raped and murdered by the Black and Tans and the Ryder Cup setup makes me sick.

1: why have the people accepted that the Ryder cup can only be covered live on radio in Ireland?

2: To watch it live we must pay an english company.

3: Have we no comment to make on the fact that english law will apply to an 8km cordon around Straffan house for a week while english companies make massive profits from running the event in Ireland, including collecting in excess of €2 million in parking fees?

4: What benefit does the Ryder Cup bring to Ireland, other than to FF supporters such as J Mansfield?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget it - take this to indymedia or some republican message board.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

How very odd, altogether.

My grandfather fought against the Black and Tans. Had to go into hiding for four months to avoid fairly certain death. The Ryder Cup means my local roads are getting a nice little nose-job and many neighbours are making a nice little bit of money renting out their houses to visitors. Damn brother from West Cork getting tickets and preventing us from doing the same :mad:.

I'm happy with the Ryder Cup being held here, and I'm a pure-blooded Irishman. What's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Erm, the Ryder Cup is some US thing, ain't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ryder cup

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ircoha wrote:
    My baggage is that some of my relatives in West Cork were raped and murdered by the Black and Tans and the Ryder Cup setup makes me sick.

Really don't see the connection here unless those Tans killed your relatives with golf clubs?
    1: why have the people accepted that the Ryder cup can only be covered live on radio in Ireland?

Because the rights went to the highest bidder and was bid on Internationally of course. Anyway why would you watch this foreign sport?
    2: To watch it live we must pay an english company.

Technically Sky would be a global corporate rather than just a British company.
    3: Have we no comment to make on the fact that english law will apply to an 8km cordon around Straffan house for a week while english companies make massive profits from running the event in Ireland, including collecting in excess of €2 million in parking fees?

Well most of the Irish laws on the books are derived from English ones aren't they.

I am sure alot of Irish companies will be making money from this event too. I certainly know the road has improved immensely because of it, my sister lives in Kildare and its a much better driving experience now.
    4: What benefit does the Ryder Cup bring to Ireland, other than to FF supporters such as J Mansfield?

Better Roads, Tourists, positive exposure for the country (more tourists) and a large wad of cash spent during the tournament.

TBH I think this is a bit of a non issue for politics and may move the thread tomorrow when I wake up.

I find it quite depressing that people still harbour these negative inward looking ideals when looking at our neighbour across the water especially where an event is being held here that will invest alot of money in our economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I saw the Wind That Shakes the Barley, and the Cork accents had such an effect on me that I've been posting up on internet claiming to be decended from the character portrayed by Cillian Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

mike65 wrote:
    Forget it - take this to indymedia or some republican message board.

Mike.

Agreed.
    Do you have any idea the exposure (in millions of €)this brings to the country in terms of tourism, obviously not. (My granddad was also hunted by the tans, but here that point is irrelevant)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

ircoha wrote:

An estimated €130 million for the economy if the report I heard on the 2FM news is to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

ircoha, you posted this thread before http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054976881 and it got binned. So why drag up this gibberish again?
    Also what does the title 'Perhaps this is a....' have to do with anything? Are you so old that you had personal encounters with the black and tans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Have the B & T's entered a team in the Ryder Cup?

My grandad spent a couple of years trying to avoid being murdered by both sides. Successfully as it turned out. I'm not sure whether he was raped or not. He never mentioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ircoha wrote:

My great grandfather fought in World War I against the hidious German Empire. Every time I see a BMW car on the streets of Ireland it just makes me sick to my stomach ...

... oh wait, no it doesn't because that was 90 years ago! :rolleyes:

I hope this is a troll ...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Wicknight, you've been around here long enough to know the rules.

I'll let gandalf move this in the morning - I can't see it staying here long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

My forefathers fought with Brian Boru.
    There is a serious side to this: the choice of golf course. That nasty, tacky place looks like a downmarket US course, giving a really bad international impression via TV coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Off to the Cuckoos Nest with this. Be gentle with the OP.

If I see this tripe in Politics again I will ban the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Cuckoo's Nest... oh-ohhh

ben-jerrys-black-and-tan-ice-cream-735538.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The ryder cup eh?

How many people do you have to "ryde" to win it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

what a moronic fcuk wit this person is..

is sending stuff to TCN like sending it to the dungeon.... and sparky-s if it was that kinda cup L would be on the american team and i would be on the european team.... think europe would win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I thought that the company which runs the Ryder cup is an irish registerd one?

The International Rugby Board and, funnilly enough, the company that runs the British and Irish Lions are also registered irish companies.

Pardon the pun, but what's the O/P's handicap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by jules80
    what a moronic fcuk wit this person is..

is sending stuff to TCN like sending it to the dungeon.... and sparky-s if it was that kinda cup L would be on the american team and i would be on the european team.... think europe would win!

My thoughts exactly! Send this to the Recycle bin!
    Why would you think it belongs in TCN?

Who would win? Is there Jello on the field? L4L FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Lust4Life wrote:

not a field babe think they call them greens and fairways.. not too sure...

why do they dumb all the crappy stuff here.. think we have our quota of crappy stuff... we have.. ok not gonna say cuz ill get in trouble!!!! starts with t ends with r and the middle letter is a vowel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Lust4Life wrote:

europe will kick ass,even if there is jelly on the field;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Oooh! She slags the true holder of the TCN throne!

/ hides behind chair so as to not be hit by flying objects1

Advertisement