Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Doors

Options
  • 18-08-2006 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Following on from the Arthur Lee thread, does anyone else think that Jim Morrison was almost as much a hinderance as a help to the Doors, his lyrics ranging from the great to the (presumably) unintentionally hilarious (The Soft Parade anyone)* Sure they've got some great songs, but invariably they follow them with something that almost proves writing songs while high is a bad idea, and releasing said songs is an even worse one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I dont think that Jim Morrison was almost as much a hinderance as a help to the Doors. He was a hinderance but that dosent compare to the excellent songs he wrote and voice he had. I agree that the soft parades lyrics are faily... out there. As are the lyrics for a few other songs, but that goes for all poetry I think. I strongly disagree that the way Morrison wrote is songs high was a bad thing, as bad as it sounds. It helped him be more creative (imo, how would I know?). I like his eccentric lyrics the majority of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

For me Morrisson had an amazing charisma and delivery of his lyrics, but I think has worth as a visionary lyricist and poet is very much overstated. He was a stoner who played with words, I think it's unlikely his utterances would have found the light of day without the
    great music behind them.

He was certainly a major asset to the Doors package though and likewise I don't think they would have done much without Morrisson in the mix . I mean he's got to be right up there as one of the greatest front men ever - indeed he went some way to defining the role of front man.

But hey, in the late 60's every band turned out some cringeworthy material.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Maybe I'm not the best person to judge becasue I don't pay much attention to lyrics when listening to music. I'm a huge Doors fan, and they released six fabulous albums and I honestly can't think of a dud song on any of them. That's not to say that some songs aren't better than others, but I can get enjoyment out of any of them. Lyrics don't need to be profound or even make sense to make a great song. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I totally agree with you OP.

Look at the classics The Doors churned out after JM's demise.

The Doors were a product of their time who tapped into the rich vein of subversiveness, free love and anti-culture that existed at the time. JM was the personification of this to many and IMHO without him they would have been just another band, regardless of their proficiency musically.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

A hinderance? :eek: I thought Jim was The Doors. He was what set them apart. For me it was just as much about his charisma and showmanship than his lyrics, one of the greatest frontmen as one of the posters said. Nothing wrong with the odd terrible song when he could write classics still regarded 40 years later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement