Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well do you expect to do?

• 18-08-2006 7:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

So with the LC results just out, soon it will be the turn of 'you lot' to fret over your results.

While I presume few of you will be worrying too much about the details of the points system just yet, it is a (useful?) tool for measuring results, certainly better than "How many A1s do you expect?". Note it is the six best results that count.

http://www.cao.ie/app_scoring/lce.htm

How well do you expect to do? 15 votes

501-600 points
    0% 0 votes
    401-500 points
    40% 6 votes
    301-400 points
    26% 4 votes
    201-300 points
    33% 5 votes
    101-200 points
    0% 0 votes
    0-100 points
    0% 0 votes
    I didn't do the Junior Cert in 2006
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just as a caveat, the Junior Cert. is a MUCH easier exam than the Leaving Cert. and the marking schemes are set up to get the maximum number of passes, so please do not make the mistake of thinking that x number of As in the Junior Cert. will translate into a similar number of As at Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'd be happy (and lucky) to get anything over 250 points :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

We're all very ambitious going by poll results. I'll put in my best to get 600, the course I want is in the high 500s, so I migth as well go the full way and aim for 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

How can you calculate points for the Junior Cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

NADA wrote:
    How can you calculate points for the Junior Cert?

Something like this I guess:

Higher

A=100
    B=85
    C=70
    D=55

Ordinary

A=60
    B=45
    C=30
    D=15

And I guess you take your best 6.

So judging by that, I should get 100+100+100+85+85+85= 555

I expect I'll do better in the leaving. Did sweet fudge all work for the Junior but I'm heading into 5th year brimming with enthusiasm and drive. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

You get your points by adding all your percentages together and dividing by 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

He's talking about the Leaving Cert.
    There's no pionts system for the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Sweet wrote:
    You get your points by adding all your percentages together and dividing by 2.

How do you know what percentages you get in your exams. You cant view your scripts in the junior certificate.Victor how did you come up with this points system which resembles the leaving certificate cao points system? Im kind of baffled. How do i matriculate my grades in the junior certificate exams into points?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Imaginatively? ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While I relaise the systems aren't identical, take your grade in the junior cart, use the kink from my first post (where it says "Leaving Certificate Points Calculation Grid")
    Victor wrote:
    and add up the six best scores.

Is there something I'm missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

In JC, we only have A, B, C... no fancy numbers.

Which is why I came up with this:

Higher

A=100
    B=85
    C=70
    D=55

Ordinary

A=60
    B=45
    C=30
    D=15

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

^ I'd prefer it if we got our percentages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh, I thought Victor meant how many points do we expect to get in the ol' LC. If it's JC we're talking about here I don't really think I got 500-600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Piste wrote:
    Oh, I thought Victor meant how many points do we expect to get in the ol' LC. If it's JC we're talking about here I don't really think I got 500-600.
    Top right hand corner "edit poll". :D

Advertisement