Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars parked in cycle lanes

• 18-08-2006 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with this? I was cycling along the Churchtown Road towards Dundrum yesterday evening at a reasonable speed when I come up across a car plop in the cycle lane. Braked and tried to edge round with the narrow space they had left. Almost made it past but it was dark and I wasn't counting on the (black and unretracted) wingmirrors. Stopped on contact with them and as I was carrying a relatively heavy load (~20kg) on the back wasn't able to keep the bike upright. Thankfully no serious injury to myself, bike, or load, just a bit of a scuff.

Now with that particular cycle lane it impossible for a cyclist to swing into the road (as I would normally do) as there is a ~10cm concrete verge separating the cycle lane from the road. Continuing on I saw another car on the other side completely blocking the lane.

Seriously, it's dangerous, especially if it's dark. Some cars doing this will do it immediately after a bend in the road. Can anything be done? I presume there is no point contacting the gardaí.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

What time was it?
    Depending upon the sign (presuming there is one) they may have been entitled to park there.
    If you don't prefer to contact the gards you could do something to their cars so they know.
    (like leave a note, or a nice scratch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

if there is a sign with no times on it just a sign saying cycle path does that entitle cars to park there at night?

this cars parking in cycle lanes problem is particularily a evident around fairview and marino.

also all along the cycle lane along the seafront there, people in the evenings are as bad as the walkers in the cycle lanes in the phoenix park, ignorant gits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression from the OP that is was an off road cycle path, not a cycle lane.

If there are no times stated it is a cycle path 24 hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

jman0 wrote:
    If you don't prefer to contact the gards you could do something to their cars so they know.
    (like leave a note, or a nice scratch)

Leave them a note with colourful language to get your point across :D , but don't leave
    jman0 wrote:
    a nice scratch)
    you are only dragging yourself down to the level of a tracker knacker and other members of that sub species :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

blorg wrote:
    What's the story with this? I was cycling along the Churchtown Road towards Dundrum yesterday evening at a reasonable speed when I come up across a car plop in the cycle lane.

There is an (almost?) continuous on and off roadway cycle track from Rathfarnham Road to the Dundrum Road/Taney Road, along Dodder Park Road, Braemor Road and Churchtown Road Upper. Beginning Middle End

The road traffic signs for a cycle track (RUS 009) along the route do not have an associated information plate, which should mean that the cycle track operates 24 hours a day 7 days a week (Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations, 1998).

It is illegal for a vehicle to park on a cycle track during it's period of operation, unless the vehicle is loading or unloading goods for max of 30 minutes (fine not sure of the amount). They should also be guilty of driving in or along a cycle track and/or footway (1 penalty point each).
    blorg wrote:
    Can anything be done? I presume there is no point contacting the gardaí.

The parked cars are breaking the law and the gardai should act, but they are unlikely to do anything about it.

And people wonder why some cyclists don't or don't want to use cycle tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Are that signage legal? You know, the one with the round plate, blue background, bicyle emblam and 'cycle path' beneath on the separate rectangular plate?

I don't remember seeing it in the rules of the road etc, but i could be wrong.

If it's not listed as an actual road-sign, then would it be true to say that it's neither a cycle track nor road, and that cars could indeed park on it if they choose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

make up some cheap stickers saying in bold 1 penalty point for illegal parking, they'll be scratching it off their windscreen, and its not as knackerish as keyying cars is it?

Opinion on stickers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A lot of the time they are only leaving the car there for a short while, lie on the ground looking all mangled up with the bike wrapped around you, then let loose a torrent of abuse upon their return.

Or just leave a note on the window (written in excrement;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

robfitz wrote:
    The parked cars are breaking the law and the gardai should act, but they are unlikely to do anything about it.
    My experience with the Gardai has been one of inconsistency - some are helpful and will have a word with a driver (I generally report moving offences like breaking the lights) and others just say they will.
    I've gotten so annoyed with the latter (in)action that yesterday I wrote to the Assistant Commissioner again. I said that I was going to submit all my reports to him, bypassing the local stations, because it is the only way that is guaranteed to get a response. I had written in April about similar inaction.

OP - Maybe you can write to Assistant Commissioner Al McHugh, An Garda Síochána, Dublin Metropolitan Region Headquarters, Harcourt Square, Dublin 2.
    Detail the date/time/location of the car with reg plate, make, model, colour etc.

Maybe I should be talking to their National Quality Service Bureau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

robfitz wrote:
    There is an (almost?) continuous on and off roadway cycle track from Rathfarnham Road to the Dundrum Road/Taney Road, along Dodder Park Road, Braemor Road and Churchtown Road Upper. Beginning Middle End
    That's it all right, "middle" is the bit I was talking about – you can see the concrete verge to the right, making it impossible to rejoin the road.
    robfitz wrote:
    The road traffic signs for a cycle track (RUS 009) along the route do not have an associated information plate, which should mean that the cycle track operates 24 hours a day 7 days a week (Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations, 1998).
    I thought that was indeed the case, and that parking was only allowed on lanes like for example in Ranelagh where it only operates during rush hour (not that it stops cars parking then also.)
    robfitz wrote:
    It is illegal for a vehicle to park on a cycle track during it's period of operation, unless the vehicle is loading or unloading goods for max of 30 minutes … They should also be guilty of driving in or along a cycle track and/or footway (1 penalty point each).
    The cars were there for the night, I have no doubt. The houses along that stretch all have substantial driveways, it's really unacceptable. If they wanted to why not park on the road – easier TBH for motorists to go around.

Would they not also be guilty of dangerous parking (5 penalty points and a mandatory court appearance.) Frankly parking there would be no different than a truck parking _across_ the M50 (sure the cars can stop, back up, and go over the embankment to overtake, no?)
    I think I will start calling the gardaí about it; it really is dangerous and I was lucky I didn't hurt myself worse. I don't think it matters that I didn't do it last night as I suspect that these cars will be here night after night.

• Advertisement

From the Irish Statute Book link kindly provided:
    A prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36 (2) (m) shall not apply to a vehicle parked in a cycle track, on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 023 has been provided, while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of such parking.

A cycle track shall be indicated by traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM023 (broken white line) which latter signs may be marked on the right-hand edge of the cycle track or on the right-hand and left-hand edges of the cycle track.
    This suggests to me that the exception for parking to load goods only applies to non-mandatory (dashed line) cycle tracks and that there is _no exception_ allowing parking in mandatory or off-road cycle tracks.

Further:
    A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.
    This would _not_ include driving on it so as one can park there.

wahlrab wrote:
    make up some cheap stickers saying in bold 1 penalty point for illegal parking, they'll be scratching it off their windscreen, and its not as knackerish as keyying cars is it?

Opinion on stickers?

That's gas, had the very same notion this morning. Imagined getting stickers made up that have the decal and sticky side on one side, so you could cycle up to cars that have just broken lights and bop one on the window as you pass, so the driver could read it. In my imagination they were red and round and said something like 'Red Means Stop!' in white lettering.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

beans wrote:
    That's gas, had the very same notion this morning. Imagined getting stickers made up that have the decal and sticky side on one side, so you could cycle up to cars that have just broken lights and bop one on the window as you pass, so the driver could read it. In my imagination they were red and round and said something like 'Red Means Stop!' in white lettering.

While it sounds lovely and I'd love to do it, I like being alive and I'm sure you won't stay very alive when the motorist drives after you like a insane person after you've stuck something on their car.

besides SUV stickering is much more fun and can be done anytime you see one and best to do when nobody is around http://www.suv.org/bumperstickers.html

*Never stick them on the paintwork!

In my imagination, the drivers saw the funny side and promised to be better drivers in future.

In reality, I'm sure there would be much pain and blood and broken bones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

beans wrote:
    Are that signage legal? You know, the one with the round plate, blue background, bicyle emblam and 'cycle path' beneath on the separate rectangular plate?
    Yes, unfortunately.

But the signs depicting a bicycle and pedestrians are not legal.

Yes, unfortunately.

But the signs depicting a bicycle and pedestrians are not legal.
    Several parts of the N11 out to Bray have that signage, right? Where there is no seperate walkway for pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

blorg wrote:
    Several parts of the N11 out to Bray have that signage, right? Where there is no seperate walkway for pedestrians.
    There are similar bogus cycle paths along parts of the Finglas Road.

1: The sign (with a bicycle and pedestrians on it) does not exist in the statutory regulations that define all legal road signs. The only legal signs are RUS009 (white bike on blue background) and RUS009a (black bike on white background with a red circle). Both have the same meaning.

2: While the Road Traffic Acts permits shared use of paths by cyclists and pedestrians, the regulations which give effect to the law only describe cycleways that are marked distinctly from the footway.

Either those parts of the N11 are unlawful, or the local council has enacted a sneaky by-law.

I'm no lawyer so, don't call me if you get summonsed or run-over.

This is the car here (blue Micra); as you can see it is here night after night, and due to the verge there is no way to rejoin the road at that point. It's probably actually a bit better parked in this photo than the night I hit it!
    th_38821_IMGP2680_Medium_122_558lo.JPGth_38830_IMGP2681_Medium_122_563lo.JPG

And look at the delight we find just a bit further down the road! The only _possible_ way in which this could be better is that it is more likely temporary, the former car clearly sees fit to block the lane on a permanent basis.
    th_38835_IMGP2682_Medium_122_351lo.JPG

As it is that cycle path is simply unusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

I suppose ringing the gards to report the parking violation is in order.
    After their inactivity, maybe that sticker idea should be employed (on the windsreen)
    X penalty points for parking in cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Give the clampers a call (01 6022500), tell them where it is and why you think it should be clamed and let them decide.

I've no idea if they actually come out or not. I called them several times when the same van parked on a cycle lane / footpath every night. He doesn't park there anymore so I live in hope ;)

Edit: I also noticed two weeks ago (around Drumcondra after a GAA game) that several cars had been clamped and given penalty points for parking illegally. Double the punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm not even a cyclist but when i saw this thread on the front page i thought i'd give my support. I mean would they like it if cyclists started taking up parking spaces in car parks etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I was cycling through Ranelagh last saturday afternoon and saw three cars getting clamped for parking in the cycle lane. Kind of brought a smile to my face!!

6th wrote:
    I'm not even a cyclist but when i saw this thread on the front page i thought i'd give my support. I mean would they like it if cyclists started taking up parking spaces in car parks etc?
    A better comparison would be cyclists locking their bikes up in the middle of the road, cars illegally having to drive up on the footpath to avoid them and risk pedestrians lives, let alone their own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rubadub wrote:
    A better comparison would be cyclists locking their bikes up in the middle of the road, cars illegally having to drive up on the footpath to avoid them and risk pedestrians lives, let alone their own.

Hmm that would be a interesting sight to see :)

Lambsbread wrote:
    I was cycling through Ranelagh last saturday afternoon and saw three cars getting clamped for parking in the cycle lane. Kind of brought a smile to my face!!
    I went up to the clampers the first time I saw them doing this (wasn't on the bike at the time.) From the look on their faces I guess they were expecting the usual torrent of abuse. "Well done," I said, "that cycle lane is unusable with the way cars park on it." Look on their face changes completely - "We don't hear that very often, thanks" they reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Considering the Minister for Justice has his constituency office on the main street in Ranelagh, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often there...
    Lambsbread wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I'm principally a cyclist with an occasional foray in my g/f's car. But last weekend I found myself about to park in a cycle lane... :o The reason is that I just don't see them anymore - I rarely use them for all the reasons stated previously including the ever present danger of pedestrians that use them as a passing lane! It's almost like my brain filters them out becuase they have no real currency anymore - I'm ashamed to say it, but I've given up on the damn things :confused:

Anyway, I find I can hold my own in traffic (certainly during rush hour) by occupying a car space when it suits me...

milod wrote:
    But last weekend I found myself about to park in a cycle lane... :o The reason is that I just don't see them anymore..
    Sort of catch 22 or snowball effect. The more people parking in them the more people who are considering cycling see this and think "no way I am dealing with that crap going on".

I would love to get an old clapped out bike for free, then cycle around until I find a car in a cycle lane then lock it to it! :D

blorg wrote:
    I went up to the clampers the first time I saw them doing this (wasn't on the bike at the time.) From the look on their faces I guess they were expecting the usual torrent of abuse. "Well done," I said, "that cycle lane is unusable with the way cars park on it." Look on their face changes completely - "We don't hear that very often, thanks" they reply.

That story actually made me laugh out loud :)
    Guess its nice for them to get some positive feedback from time to time, cyclists can be their friends :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

also all along the cycle lane along the seafront there, people in the evenings are as bad as the walkers in the cycle lanes in the phoenix park, ignorant gits

haha so true some people actually just walk straight towards you on the cycle lane and have this bemused look on their faces as you attempt to dodge them while mumbling obscenities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

While it's nice to see the law in relation to cycle lanes being enforced, it's a shame that the penalty has to exacerbate the crime.

Towing the offending cars would solve that problem...
    Cabaal wrote:
    That story actually made me laugh out loud :)
    Guess its nice for them to get some positive feedback from time to time, cyclists can be their friends :D

Advertisement