Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do RTE and Setanta have the rights for EPL matches this year?

• 18-08-2006 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Well do they?

Both channels showed a lot of Saturday 3pm live matches last year. Will they be doing the same this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They do indeed. They will be taking turns aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I eventually found details on it. They have the rights to 15 live Saturday games. I'd imagine Setanta have about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Setanta are starting the ball rolling with Arsenal v Aston Villa on Saturday at 3pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

SPORT: RTÉ Sport on Two
    On: RTÉ 2 (102)
    Date: Saturday 26th August 2006
    Time: 14:45 to 17:15

The Premiership Live.
    Live coverage from Vicarage Road as newly promoted Watford take on Manchester United.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Here are the confirmed SETANTA games which are on between the 19th August and Christmas.

Saturday August 19th 2006 (Opening Day) Arsenal V Aston Villa

Saturday September 9th 2006 Chelsea Vs Charlton Athletic

Saturday September 23rd 2006 Fulham Vs Chelsea

Saturday October 14th 2006 Liverpool Vs Blackburn Rovers

Saturday October 28th 2006 Bolton Wanderers Vs Manchester United

Saturday November 11th 2006 Chelsea Vs Watford

Saturday November 25th 2006 Liverpool Vs Manchester City

Saturday December 9th 2006 Liverpool Vs Fulham

Saturday December 23rd 2006 Aston Villa Vs Manchester United

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

ffs who the fcuk really wants to see chelsea v watford? what do ncstle, spurs and others have to do to get shown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kinaldo wrote:
    ffs who the fcuk really wants to see chelsea v watford? what do ncstle, spurs and others have to do to get shown?

Attract advertising sadly...

All the above feature one of last season's top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

kinaldo wrote:
    what do ncstle, spurs and others have to do to get shown?

Get into the top 4? Or play one of the top 4? setanta are a business and they will show the top 4 to maximise their revenue. They are not a public service broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This is the last year that RTÉ will have live 3pm Saturday matches, next season... Setanta have all these.

Get into the top 4? Or play one of the top 4? setanta are a business and they will show the top 4 to maximise their revenue. They are not a public service broadcaster.

Agreed, but I'd argue that Chelsea have less fans in this country than Everton, Villa, Spurs and a pretty similar amount to the likes of Newcastle and Blackburn tbh.

Its lazy to assume that top 4 = top draw.

• Advertisement

wouldn't most neutrals / football fans rather see the best game on offer rather than just another top four side vs no-hoper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kinaldo wrote:
    wouldn't most neutrals / football fans rather see the best game on offer rather than just another top four side vs no-hoper?
    I'm sure Setanta have done their homework and that the top 4 in the league pull the biggest audiences.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm sure Setanta have done their homework and that the top 4 in the league pull the biggest audiences.

I'd say they're just lazy cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Is Setanta free in the south, casue it seems you have to paid for it here in the crazy north?

Is Setanta free in the south, casue it seems you have to paid for it here in the crazy north?

Ntl include it in their basic analogue package down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

By any chance do they include it in their basic cable package up here?

Agreed, but I'd argue that Chelsea have less fans in this country than Everton, Villa, Spurs and a pretty similar amount to the likes of Newcastle and Blackburn tbh.

Maybe a few years ago, but in the last 3 years, I have seen more Chelsea shirts floating around the citys than the other clubs you mention. There is also the case that Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool fans would want to watch their rivals incase they slip up(yes I know unlikely against Watford but point still stands)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not that i am aware of :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Once you have any sort of NTL you have Setanta Ireland. :)

irish life wrote:
    Once you have any sort of NTL you have Setanta Ireland. :)

He is on about NTL UK which operate up in the North, so I am not too sure if they carry the Setanta Ireland package in their basic line up. They may just get the res of the setanta package as an add on.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote:
    Maybe a few years ago, but in the last 3 years, I have seen more Chelsea shirts floating around the citys than the other clubs you mention.

Sorry chap, by my equally as unscientific method, I have only ever known of one Irish Chelsea fan. In my entire 28 years.

Thats right, through 13 years of school, 3 years of university and 10 years of employment (bit of an overlap between uni and work) I have encountered the sum total of one Chelsea fan.

In my current workplace, of approximately 120 people there are 6 Everton fans. 3 Spurs. 0 Villa/Blackburn/Newcastle, but 1 Grimsby fan. Thats one more than the 0 Chelsea fans...

TBH, the only increase I've seen in Chelsea jerseys have been among kids, and unless Setanta want to corner the market in Crazy Frog ads thats not a demographic that attracts a whole heap of advertising €.

IMO of course.

Sorry chap, by my equally as unscientific method, I have only ever known of one Irish Chelsea fan. In my entire 28 years.

Thats right, through 13 years of school, 3 years of university and 10 years of employment (bit of an overlap between uni and work) I have encountered the sum total of one Chelsea fan.

In my current workplace, of approximately 120 people there are 6 Everton fans. 3 Spurs. 0 Villa/Blackburn/Newcastle, but 1 Grimsby fan. Thats one more than the 0 Chelsea fans...

TBH, the only increase I've seen in Chelsea jerseys have been among kids, and unless Setanta want to corner the market in Crazy Frog ads thats not a demographic that attracts a whole heap of advertising €.

IMO of course.
    I'm the same, I've only ever known 2 Chelsea fans in all the years I'm on this planet. But if you want to see the increase in Chelsea fans just go to your local pub on a Sunday afternoon the next time Chelsea are playing one of the other big sides and you will see an awful lot of adults wearing Chelsea jerseys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

The 4 best supported English teams in Ireland are
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Leeds

There is a considerably large baby boomer following for the latter two.

Pal wrote:
    The 4 best supported English teams in Ireland are
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Leeds

There is a considerably large baby boomer following for the latter two.
    Did you just make that list up or do you have actual proof? I'm surprised that Arsenal wouldn't be included in the top 4 if not 3.

IMO of course.

Chelsea would really of only been followed since Abramovich took over. No surprise no-one in your work supports them as at that age, you don't see people changing clubs, well sometimes. No surprise either that it's kids with the Chelsea gear as it would mainly be them supporting them as often kids pick the best team to support when young. As has been pointed out already, go to a pub when Chelsea are playing and the place is full of Chelsea jerseys.

A viewer is a viewer, whether its Jade Goody or Stephen Hawking

suffice to say that Man City and Everton are both significantly better supported in Ireland than Arsenal by any calculation.

Chelsea and Leeds have a large thirtysomethings and fortysomethings support.

also
    check out the supporters clubs listings in the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I would know far more fans of Arsenal than Chelsea or Leeds.

Pal wrote:
    suffice to say that Man City and Everton are both significantly better supported in Ireland than Arsenal by any calculation.

Chelsea and Leeds have a large thirtysomethings and fortysomethings support.

also
    check out the supporters clubs listings in the paper.
    What do mean "by any calculation"? By all accounts it just sounds like you're making this stuff up.

BaZmO* wrote:
    What do mean "by any calculation"? By all accounts it just sounds like you're making this stuff up.
    fair enough.
    we will go with your logic then.
    There are more Grimsby fans in Ireland than Chelsea ones. :D

oops sorry that was somebody else said that. I do you an injustice.

look, don't believe me if you wish. i'm not bothered.
    check it out and you will see if I tell the truth or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It seems nearly every match Liverpool play is televised live on one channel or another,its ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The most watched teams get watched most and hence put on telly most. People watch Chelsea, often not because they support them, but because they're interested in the result as it has a direct bearing on their own team (Manu/Pool/Arse).

Now, as much of a chance as Spurs do have of winning the Prem, realistically people are not going to be overly interested in watching them, or caring alot about their result. Of course, win the premiership and it will be a different story.

Although its funny to see fans claim they know more about viewing figures than a dedicated sports channel, which probably has a team of people analysing data for this sort of thing, but then it wouldn't be a football forum without people talking out of their ass about how much better they are at a job than a paid professional. Armchair TV execs indeed.... :)

Unearthly wrote:
    As has been pointed out already, go to a pub when Chelsea are playing and the place is full of Chelsea jerseys.

As subjective as my workplace posted above. I was in a pub for Chelsea's game yesterday actually, saw one Chelsea jersey, 40-something sitting on his own...must be the Swords supporters club...
    Unearthly wrote:
    A viewer is a viewer, whether its Jade Goody or Stephen Hawking

Wrong. A viewer of a commercial station is a target demographic for advertisers, if blue rinse grannys attracted advertising € the airwaves would be full of Live at 3 clones.

Yep, basically what I said before.

Incidentally, the only reason Sky show West Brom etc is because they have to show every team atleast a few times a season if I remember correctly.

If they had their way they'd just show the top 4 to

astrofool wrote:
    The most watched teams get watched most

Well, d'uh!

Tune in next week for 2+2=2+2...

Unearthly wrote:
    Yep, basically what I said before.

No,nothing like what you said before.
    Unearthly wrote:
    Incidentally, the only reason Sky show West Brom etc is because they have to show every team atleast a few times a season if I remember correctly.

If they had their way they'd just show the top 4 to

Correct. Collective bargaining for TV rights compels Sky to show the less attractive teams a minimum number of times. Look at Italy for a true exapmle of the market in operation re. TV rights.

• Advertisement

No,nothing like what you said before.

haha wasn't talking to you, you just happened to post before I refreshed the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Are there any matches on this weekend?

AthAnRi wrote:
    Are there any matches on this weekend?

Yes, one on RTE this weekend. Watford v Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Well everyone's views of how many supporters there are of each club will depend on their own personal experiences but I would agree that I've known very few Chelsea fans. One of my teachers in secondary school, one friend my age, and one lad I know who's about 16 or 17 are all the Chelsea fans I've ever met. Never even a taxi driver (funnily enough I was talking to a taxi driver about this one time and he told me he's noticed a lot of taxi drivers to support Spurs). I have however noticed an increasing number of shirts (mainly among kids) in the last couple of years - think it was initially a Duff effect as well as Abramovich.

The main two clubs I've ever known supporters from are United and Liverpool by miles, when you meet someone they normally seem to support one or the other.

I know there are a good number of Arsenal fans around as you see the jerseys (but much less than the other two) and they're in the pubs when Arsenal play but I've only ever known 2 Arsenal fans who actually followed the team and knew all about the club and then maybe another 3 nominal fans. I support Spurs and I suppose I'm therefore more likely to notice jerseys etc but I frequently see Spurs shirts around Dublin, most days of the week probably. I also know over ten other serious fans I'd say and I've run into others in various places like chippers, pubs and so on. I've also known a healthy number of Everton and Villa (particularly from the Stan/McGrath/Houghton/Townsend period) fans, though they're jerseys aren't around town as much these days. All the rest of the clubs I've only ever known one or maybe two fans of.

Advertisement