Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

candle wax on me Cd's

• 18-08-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

now sure if this is the right place for this but the moderator can move it if its not....last night i had some people over and i light candles. We all got fairly drunk anyway this morning i noticed candle wax on my favourite CD ( they were scattered over the floor ) what i want to know is it possible to remove it with out making the Cd unusable...Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Best way to remove wax is with heat. I'd imagine wax will melt at a far lower temerature than your cds.

I'd say go with an oven set to the lowest temperature.

Maybe do a test first on a blank cd or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

The best way I could think of getting rid of wax, without destroying the CD, would be to hold it over the steam out of a kettle. Mind you don't get burned, wear oven gloves or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Steam would definitely get the wax off position the CD in such a way that the wax can drip off and then wipe with a tissue gently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wax should come off easily enough. Use a rubber spatula to remove the big bits (scrape out from from the centre, not around the circumference of the cd), then just wipe with a soft cloth to remove the rest. CDs are surprisingly resilient. Just so long as you don't use anything which may scratch them, it shouldn't be an issue.
    I'd be wary of using any kind of heat, however low - particularly anything which radiates, like a grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

I'd say steam from a kettle would warp a cd within a few seconds, i'd go with something more mild.

I'd try nestling it betwixt your thighs for a few mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

luke wark water i'd say, wax might come off in one lump coz of the cd's shiny surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

OK - this should work -

hairdryer on highest setting - damp cloth/tissue to wipe off melted wax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Brown paper and a iron on a very very low setting.
    Apply the heat just enough to get the wax to soften so you can remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Have you tried talking to the wax? Asking it to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Earthhorse wrote:
    Ha ha ha, I lolled!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Alcohol and fire, classic combination...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Earthhorse wrote:
    I'm ashamed to say I almost rofled at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moved from Comp/Tech.

Do a few tests, get some crap cds out and melt wax onto them. Then try all the different suggestions and see which one works best, with least damage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Won't it just crack off?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

ya you can bend cds easily enough without breaking so just bend it a bit and it might just crack off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Lump wrote:
    Won't it just crack off?

John

Yeah, put it in a freezer for a minute to harden it first. By the way which side is the wax on, the label or the playing surface ? I was going to suggest warm water and gradually add hotter water until you can wipe the wax off, this should minimise the damage caused by plunging it straight into scalding water.

ZEN

Advertisement