Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Vodka

Options
  • 18-08-2006 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

hi, started drinking voda properly and looking for good brand vodka, none of the boru or grants or anthing that comes in a naggin

i am drinking Stolichnaya at the moment and like it alot...

some one mentioned grey goose vodka.... this is french anyone ever tasted?

so any advice?

ronan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Grey Goose is actually made in america, then shipped to france and botled there.

Decent Vodkas include:
    Belvedere
    Chopin
    Skyy
    Finlandia
    Smirnoff (with the black label, not the red label ****e)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

My favourite is Zubrowka, or bison grass vodka, sometime spelt Dubrowka.

Pronounced Ju-brov-ka.

Polish vodka, with a long blade of bison grass in the bottle. Slighty aromatic flavour. Should be drank with apple juice - but is also fantastic neat.

zubrowka-bison-grass-vodka.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Basically stick to the real russian brands (stolichnaya and or moskavskaya) put them in the freezer andd get them ice cold, they should not freeze if its a proper vodka and when you pour it will have a higher viscosity than usual and then drink it neat with food. Russian/Ukrainian brands are difficult to get, so I always ask anyone who is going to eastern europe to pick some up for me. I stay clear of western european brands although I have not tried grey goose. Smirnoff black is the best of the western brands. I see a lot of polish vodkas arriving on the market but have not tried them I guess these would be a more truer vodka. Is there any polish guys who can point us in the right direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

a guy in work brough back one of the better polish vodka, but i can remebr the name of it.... had a red and white label... will try and find out the name

i have seen the bison vodka in the airport but thought i was some sort of cheap nasty brand...

the irish off licence sells some reall really ****e vodka... bottled in scotland or somewhere really bad..

why grey goose so expensive? £30 for a bottle up north dont even want to know how much down here

ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Grey goose is about €40 is superquinn anyway.

Try the bison grass. Its not as neutral as other vodkas. I love it though. A lot of the bigger chain off-licences carry it. Should get it for about €25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I don't know if it is still available but if you ever see a vodka called Siberiski, buy it!! I got some a number of years back in the Soviet days... it was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

harvey nicholls food hall in the shop in dundrum has a good selection of vodkas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

If you can get wyborowa in tescos, it's smoother and not as peppery as stolichnaya.

Zybrowka rules with good apple juice as a mixer.

If you want good ones for drinking neat in frozen glasses then Belvedere is really good, but also very expensive at about 40-45 euro a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

Grey Goose is actually made in america, then shipped to france and botled there.

Decent Vodkas include:
    Belvedere
    Finlandia
    Smirnoff (with the black label, not the red label ****e)

Seconded.

Blub2k4 wrote:

Zybrowka rules with good apple juice as a mixer.

Howcome this all of a sudden becamse popular?

• Advertisement

What the **** is Bison Grass anyway.

Possibly since the polish came here and told us how they drink it? That's how I learned about it in any case, from some Poles at work.

Bison grass is just a large grass type that imparts an unusual but pleasant flavour to the vodka.

The vodka is also known as grassovska

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

there's a a polish vodka type spirit in my local off licence called spiritus. the thing is a wooping 95%... good luck to all who drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

One of our polish lads brought me back vodka called Sobieski. Was good. The Zubrowka is good too. A lot of offies are stocking it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jakub

Talkin about Polish vodka ..... I would surely recommend Wyborowa, other brands would be Luksusowa, Sobieski is decent as well and Chopin is the top class pure potato vodka but you have to pay for it......In case of flavoured vodkas Żubrówka is definitely top choice,if you ever have a chance try Żołądkowa Gorzka - herbal vodka that has been tested thorougly by myself .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

If you can afford it splash out and get yourself some Stoli Elit.
    Its gonna cost you though...around 90....Looks the dogs bollox aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

This thread is bringing back good memories for me... drunken nights in Moscow in the snow... and a lovely weekend in Kracow with a beautiful Polish journalist... oh!! To get those days again!! Thanks Guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

The king raves about Zubrowka.

Does anybody know where to buy it? I get it from a polish mate who brings it from poland when he or hsi mates go home.

I know the celtic whiskey shop sells a 700ml bottle for 30euro.
    But apart from that i don't see it in any of teh off licences.

The king raves about Zubrowka.

Does anybody know where to buy it? I get it from a polish mate who brings it from poland when he or hsi mates go home.

I know the celtic whiskey shop sells a 700ml bottle for 30euro.
    But apart from that i don't see it in any of teh off licences.

I think I've seen it in O'Briens recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

McHughs sell it aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I bought a bottle of Zubrowka bison grass yesterday to celebrate the orthodox Christmas and it is by far the best vodka I have tried thats available in Ireland.

29e in Molloys Tallaght. Put it in the freezer for the day, it is very smooth and the herb in it is light and not overpowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

because it was properly "introduced" to ireland last year. My mate works in a design place and was doing work for it. I discovered Stolichnaya over 10 years ago, my local offy which is really a wine place had it, it was cheaper than smirnoff red at the time and I was sick of the cheapo crap so I gave it a go. Loved the stuff, it was the proper 40% stuff. Stoli was also "introduced" a few years back and dropped to 37.5% and is available everywhere. I remember my sister turning up her nose at stoli since "it couldnt possibly be better than smirnoff (red)" :rolleyes: smirnoff red is the budweiser of vodkas.

I have seen stoli "gold" in obbriens, think it is €30. Smirnoff black is pretty good. Skyy is amazing as a mixer, very smooth with very little taste. Grey goose is good but overpriced IMO, same goes for any over €30, the price cannot be justified, it is not like it is aged like a whiskey, aged whiskey looses its volumes over time and costs money to store, vodkas are just pumped out.

Tesco finest is good value, it is either 43% or 45% which should be taken into account when valuing it. I frind anything under 40% has no bite when drinking neat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

rubadub wrote:
    I frind anything under 40% has no bite when drinking neat.
    lol, you well hard mate!

it may not be fancy and communist but i've always found huzzar very easy to drink

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

rugbug86 wrote:
    harvey nicholls food hall in the shop in dundrum has a good selection of vodkas
    cheers. I'll have to head in soon and grab myself a few bottles of the decent stuff! are they reasonably priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

Guys, im more of a whiskey fan now, but did enjoy vodka before i made the jump. Lived and worked in germany for a couple of years, which is where i came across the correct way to drink "white" spirits (lob the bottle and the glasses into the oul' freezer there Heinz). Used to drink Gorbatchow, partly cos of the name, partly the cool bottle (the shoulder of the bottle was not unlike the Onion domes of St Basils in Red Square). Now at the time i wouldnt say i was an aficionado or anysuch, but it tasted good. Came in red, blue and black labels (40, 50 and 60 proof). Was i drinking something decent, or ditchwater? I do remember it did have a distinct taste, not the odorless/tasteless variety i was used to (smirnoff red)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Sunny_Dublin

Absolut! Why does nobody mention Absolut?!
    Fantastic swedish vodka with a clean crisp taste, also near to no hungover even when drunk in big glasses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Fantastic swedish vodka with a clean crisp taste, also near to no hungover even when drunk in big glasses :D

I'll toast to that. One of these and pint glasses and you've got yourself a party:
    WhatOurOfficeNeeds_1.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Sunny_Dublin

OHHH!! wondering if iwantoneofthose.com sells them....
    would look great in my living room ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skindub

Zubrowka is great....neat or with apple juice (for the girlies)

But if you really wanna try a fine vodka that you can drink neat try Ciroc http://www.ciroc.com . It is soooo smooth but it is quite expensive, the celtic whiskey shop stock it for €74.99 but you can get it in France or germany for €25 (expensive by European standards). It is the King of Vodkas as fair as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Normal absolut is nice neat, the citron stuff is even nicer. Absolut is distilled totally clean and neutral, i.e. they separate the heads and tails (nasty stuff that boils off at the start and finish) and keep the good stuff separate. However they then add portions of the "heads" back into the neutral spirit to give it a "bite", this maybe similar to what tc20 said about his vodka not being neutral. This portion is loaded with acetates and other chemicals produced in the brewing process. It can lead to more of a hangover. BUT the flavoured absoluts are made with only the netural, more chemically pure spirit, so not only do they taste nice they should lead to less of a hangover. They want it pure as possible to allow the subtle tastes through. Same goes for most decent liquers. Skyy vodka is the cleanest vodka I have ever tasted, it is american where most drink it mixed, so it is ideal for cocktails, totally netural which allows the fruits to shine, but very bland to drink neat.

Advertisement