Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Vodka

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

rugbug86 wrote:
    harvey nicholls food hall in the shop in dundrum has a good selection of vodkas

Yeah! I used to work in the Foodmarket there. They have some nice vodkas alright. Try New Zealand's "42 Below" (The name comes from New Zealand's latitude). The brand also comes in innovative flavours - honey, passionfruit, Feijoa (misspelt appallingly) - but also in regular.

February's "Food and Wine" magazine has a special on spirits (Vodka / Gin / Rum) and it reviews a handful of the superpremium vodkas mentioned in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

One word of warning to people buying Vodka in E Euopre is buy from a reputable place, cause a surprisingly large amount of Vodka is counterfeit.
    In Russia the best Vodka is "Russian Standart". It is a fairly internationl company and I'm sure you can get it in the spirit shop on Dawson's street.

Also try Birch Tree Vodka,Its far milder than most and nice to drink neat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fransan

Story mate, saw your post about the polish vodka, first came across it in Tokyo and i've been wanting to get hold of a bottle since.
    Used to order Spiritus Sunrise's ( tequila substituted )
    Knocks the socks off ye and goes down too easy.

Just wondered if you could give me the name o the off licence that sells it? and whether they still sell it or not??

there's a a polish vodka type spirit in my local off licence called spiritus. the thing is a wooping 95%... good luck to all who drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Holy Thread Resurrection!

Absolut, Finlandia and Russian Standard Platinum ftw by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Zubrowka or Wyborowa Single Estate.

If I'm looking for something nice but not too pricey then Finlandia would be my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jhonny.mic

boneless wrote: »
    I don't know if it is still available but if you ever see a vodka called Siberiski, buy it!! I got some a number of years back in the Soviet days... it was fantastic.
    Siberiski is a great vodka. I have tasted it. But it is very rare and it is very difficult to get. Try to taste Siberiski Vodka with a Habanos cigar. You will like the combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

there is something to vodka when the weather gets slightly nippy. crack open "the nose" by gogol and sip the following for an authentic experience (don't forget to chill shot glasses in freezer). Belvedere - an astonishing vodka from poland, Grey goose - even if i hate the french, Hangar One - that one u save for yourself, and stolli(stolichnaya) vanil when the frost starts to wear off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Try Lithuanian and Latvian vodka's any ones I've had over there have been nice ( I believe the Lithuanians claim vodka as their own)
    The brand "Lithuania Vodka" is a good inexpensive vodka (sold on Talbot street off-licence, and the gold stuff in my local offy in Derry for £12 :D ) flavoured versions are also good (apart from cherry but that may be personal taste)
    Also very good (possibly more expensive is Stumbras vodka, which has barley grains in the bottle)
    LB vodka (from latvia) is decent but IMO not as good as the Lithuanian brands (apart from the cranberry flavour which is very good)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Having been going to Poland back and forth for the last few years with the missus I've slowly been building up a collection of Polish vodka's. This is how it stands at the moment. It would have been larger but she would only let me take back 2 bottles this time around! :(

4029185479_9ab702e5f0.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/4029185479

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mariemc82

Hi all,

I work with Grey Goose and just to set the record straight, Grey Goose is made in Cognac, France. For centuries, The world's most respected experts in spirit distillation have practiced their craft there, drawn by its climate and growing conditions.

The Grey Goose Maître de Chai or cellar master, Francois Thibault, has taken this knowledge to a new level in producing the world’s best tasting vodka, Grey Goose. He chooses the finest French wheat and makes sure every element of production is of the highest quality. Grey Goose goes through a five-step distillation process and is blended with pure spring water that is naturally filtered through Grand Champagne limestone.

It's here that the magic happens and what makes Grey Goose vodka incomparably smooth and decidedly well rounded, making it remarkably unlike any other vodka in the world.

Thanks

Marie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it true that the name Grey Goose comes from a wine that Sidney Frank had the rights to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

mariemc82 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I work with Grey Goose and just to set the record straight, Grey Goose is made in Cognac, France.

For centuries, The world's most respected experts in spirit distillation have practiced their craft there, drawn by its climate and growing conditions.
    Yes. They make a drink called Cognac. From grapes. Not Grey Goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I used to bartend in New York about 8 years ago and Ketel One vodka is what all the cool kids drank. I'm not a vodka drinker myself but it tasted really nice neat, not so good in mixed drinks and cocktails except for a Bloody Mary from what I remember.

Couldn't believe it when I came home and done a bit of bartending in Dublin when people just asked for a vodka without specifying a brand. Huzzars all around then. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Sean_K wrote: »
    Yes. They make a drink called Cognac. From grapes. Not Grey Goose.

He didn't say they made if from Cognac he said it's made in Cognac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cork45 wrote: »
    He didn't say they made if from Cognac he said it's made in Cognac.

Oh I know, but there was an obvious implication in the marketing spiel that because the drink is made in Cognac, it is made by the most "respected experts in spirit distillation".

Vodka is a neutral spirit. It doesn't need to be aged in cellars or anything like that. They could just as easily do as Skyy do (buy bulk ethanol and dilute it).

Grey Goose relocating production to France appears to be something of a marketing exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crossman

grenache wrote: »
    Holy Thread Resurrection!

Absolut, Finlandia and Russian Standard Platinum ftw by the way!

Agree..

Advertisement