Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Assessed or Sole Trader??

Options
  • 18-08-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am going to be doing some extra work from September as a teacher/trainer.

They will be paying me directly so it will be up to me to sort out my own tax.

I am very ignorant when it comes to things like this so I would be grateful for any advice you may have.

My assumption was that I should register as a sole trader but I was told that this wasn't necessary and that it was easier to become self assessed?

Also, apparently as I am a teacher/trainer I can claim expenses etc. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

py2006 wrote:
    Hi all,

I am going to be doing some extra work from September as a teacher/trainer.

They will be paying me directly so it will be up to me to sort out my own tax.

I am very ignorant when it comes to things like this so I would be grateful for any advice you may have.

My assumption was that I should register as a sole trader but I was told that this wasn't necessary and that it was easier to become self assessed?

Also, apparently as I am a teacher/trainer I can claim expenses etc. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks for your advice!

When you say "extra work" I presume you mean additional work on top of your normal daily work as an employee ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

OP; can u be a bit more specific about what u will be doing?

are u already a teacher trainer and this is some extra work being done in the same place. eg extra hours.

if so, re the expenses, will u be able to separate out the expenses re the extra work.

such expenses have to be wholly, necessarily and exclusively for the extra work..
    if u are a teacher ur union will tell u what they have agreed with the revenue on expenses. [working for 8 months of the year is not a bad start:) ]

if all of the above applies and u are on paye u will just add the extra money in your return. U will also need to pay prsi etc.

Advertisement