Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

• 18-08-2006 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

For me it's Iker Casillas. He has been consistent for many years now and has been such a keeper for Real Madrid.

Who do you think?

Who is the best goalkeeper in the world for you? 77 votes

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
    0% 0 votes
    Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
    15% 12 votes
    Peter Cech (Chelsea)
    63% 49 votes
    Other (please state)
    20% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'd say Cech, he has more shots saved per goal than any other keeper in the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'd say Cech, he has more shots saved per goal than any other keeper in the Premiership

Well when your kneecaps are at risk....

I'd say Buffon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Probably Buffon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Buffon; but Casillas will be in a season or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Buffon

and watch for Amelia in 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Buffon, given isn't far off him.

I watch out for Skeltenberg(sp?) from Ajax and as nipplenuts rightly said, Amelia as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

hallelujah wrote:
    me
    Wanna play for Boards.ie Team? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Buffon, lock the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Buffon

No contest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

cech wasnt even the best in the premiership last year, never mind anywhere else.

i dont think theres much between Casillas and Buffon, other than Buffon has always had a mean italian defence in front of him whearas Casillas has the most liberal defence in europe playing in front of him. Casillas certainly earns every euro he makes.

i'd put it into 2 tiers, the 2 best, and the rest, in no particular order

buffon
    casillas

Julio Cesar
    Reina
    Coupet
    Cech
    vds

Julio Cesar from Inter? Who keeps losing his place to toldo? are you mental?

Why are you lot leaving given out so much, and no I'm not being biased, he is that good!

julio cesar played some great games last season, especially in the champions league.

given is a great shot stopper, but he's too short on crosses, he's no better than victor valdes imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

whearas Casillas has the most liberal defence in europe playing in front of him

Given had Boumsong playing in front of him
    In my opinion Given is in the top 5 in the world

Smart boy!

nah, not for me. i'd put him in the same block with valdes, gomes and dida

el rabitos wrote:
    nah, not for me. i'd put him in the same block with valdes, gomes and dida

how can you put dida and given in the same category ? Given is consistantly very good week in, week out. Dida WAS a very good keeper, but he's been a bit crap lately!

how can you put dida and given in the same category ? Given is consistantly very good week in, week out. Dida WAS a very good keeper, but he's been a bit crap lately!

i can easily put them in the same category

dida was a couple of levels ahead of given, now he's dropped a couple of levels and is on the same level given was always at.

given was never at the level dida was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

Given is easily top 5 IMO. He's more consistent than any of the others.

Lehman over the past 18 months has been exceptional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Have to give a shout for Lehmann who was been great recently

But for me Buffon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

el rabitos wrote:
    julio cesar played some great games last season, especially in the champions league.

given is a great shot stopper, but he's too short on crosses, he's no better than victor valdes imo
    I think just because of Given's height you just assume he's too short on crosses. :)

Catches (05/06):
    Given - 47
    Cech - 52
    Reina - 31
    Lehmann - 93
    Robinson - 33

Catch Success Rate:
    Given - 98%
    Cech - 95%
    Reina - 86%
    Lehmann - 94%
    Robinson - 89%

Opta: Shay's Class Is A Given

The reason Given is down on Saves to Shots ratio would surely be down to Newcastle's defence. Teams are forced to shoot from far against Cech while Given would be in a lot of 1 on 1 situations.

Buffon is in a different league to everyone else but Given is up there with the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

1. Buffon
    2. Casillas
    3. Cech
    4. Coupet
    5. Van Der Saar
    6. Given
    7. Julio Cesar
    8. Robinson
    9. Lehmann
    10. Stekelenburg

irish life wrote:

The reason Given is down on Saves to Shots ratio would surely be down to Newcastle's defence. Teams are forced to shoot from far against Cech while Given would be in a lot of 1 on 1 situations.

Buffon is in a different league to everyone else but Given is up there with the rest of them.

dont get me wrong, he is great. he pulls off some reflex saves at times that look crazy and he's fairly consistant. theres just better keepers around imo

pfft, the only reason dida looks any good is cause of ::

Cafu
    Maldini
    Kaladze
    Serginho
    Costacurta
    Gattuso

are all standing in front of him, keeping everything out. The amount of simple mistakes he makes for a keeper playing in one of the best teams in italy is phenomenal.

Given has no-one in front of him, he's all on his own and hes been one of Newcastles best players for several seasons now, Dida has probably been Milans worst regular starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ill say van der sar.

Given has no-one in front of him, he's all on his own and hes been one of Newcastles best players for several seasons now, Dida has probably been Milans worst regular starter

Toss up between Dida and seedorf for that honor, but in fairness to them when they are on form they are world class and usually the match winners in big big games, but when they are off form they are abysmil!

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ill say van der sar.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think Reina is only good cos he has Carra and Sami in front of him. He got the Golden Gloves for the 05/06 series didnt he? But still, he has his moments where he seems very dodgy.

I'll go for Buffon as the best, how many goals did Italy conceed in the WC?

Slurms wrote:
    I think Reina is only good cos he has Carra and Sami in front of him. He got the Golden Gloves for the 05/06 series didnt he? But still, he has his moments where he seems very dodgy.

I'll go for Buffon as the best, how many goals did Italy conceed in the WC?

was it 2 ? and one of them being an own goal that nobody could have done anything about :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

There's only a handful of keepers that really stand out so I guess it comes down to consistency for me and Shay Given has been consistently brilliant for Newcastle and Ireland for almost 10 years now. Twice he's been named in the PL team of the season voted by his peers. I wouldn't swap him for anyone. It would be interesting to see Cech play in front of Newcastle's defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Buffon defiently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Isaksson is pretty class. Not quite Buffon/Cech level yet but definitely in the same orbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Isaksson is pretty class. Not quite Buffon/Cech level yet but definitely in the same orbit.

Only seen in the world cup, but judgung by the team he plays for now, and his last team his name should be no where near this thread.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Only seen in the world cup, but judgung by the team he plays for now, and his last team his name should be no where near this thread.
    Agreed, he's looked pretty shoite every time I've seen him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Buffon is the best no doubt about it. Im suprised no one has mentioned Coupet of Lyon he'll be the best in a few years time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd go for Isaaksson. I'd laugh at anyone who'd pick Given.

Unfortunately picking the best goalkeeper is a bit like picking the best F1 driver. We all have our theories but until they all get to drive the best car (or have the best coverage) it's pretty difficult to know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Shay Given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Given hasn't been one of but has been Newcastle's best player over the past few seasons and im a Newcastle fan .

Buffon is the best for me . If someone laughs at another person picking Given fair enough , however someone laughing at a person picking Given and picking Isaakson themselves:D , you know there's a reason why he isn't still playing for Juve...........he wasn't good enough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Hmmm Cech managed to get on this list and he played for the same team before Chelsea that Isaksson played before Manchester City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

irish life wrote:
    I think just because of Given's height you just assume he's too short on crosses. :)

Catches (05/06):
    Given - 47
    Cech - 52
    Reina - 31
    Lehmann - 93
    Robinson - 33

Catch Success Rate:
    Given - 98%
    Cech - 95%
    Reina - 86%
    Lehmann - 94%
    Robinson - 89%

Opta: Shay's Class Is A Given

If Lehmann made that many more cathes than anyone else arsenal must have been letting a shocking amount of crosses come over, no wonder they struggled to 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

After watching Buffon for years, I would have to say Technically he is the best goalkeeper in the world. Always makes the right decisions and is always in the right positions.
    His Agility is superb also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Stekelly wrote:
    If Lehmann made that many more cathes than anyone else arsenal must have been letting a shocking amount of crosses come over, no wonder they struggled to 4th.

or (at least the way I read it) it could just mean he elected to try catch more crosses than the other keepers. If Given (or whomever) only elects to try catch 'sure things' and punch the rest then he is natually going have a low catch total and a higher success percentage. Is there a stat anywhere that details how many crosses in total each keeper had to deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shay Given. Or for the FM heads amongst us, AKinfeev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Although his age has dented his once cheetah like agility, he has lost none of his presence or dominance...

The Great...

Packie Bonner.

End of Story.
    (But if Bonner is busy with the just for men, I'd go with Cech)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do you mean the team that for the last couple of seasons that has had England's number one playing for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Pigman II wrote:
    I'd go for Isaaksson. I'd laugh at anyone who'd pick Given.
    haha :D

no top keeper should let either of these in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0n3XR4Eov4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQm6R3vxg4

Gerrards especially

I assume its the height thing that you have against Given? I can only remember him making 1 mistake (against Bolton?) in the last few years so it must be. Height doesn't matter a bit if you can jump as high and have reflexes like Given. Cannavaro is the best central defender in the world and is only about 5 foot 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueSoS3-OMDQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Casillas. He plays behind the worst defence ever. (I know, you could make the same case for Shay Given)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Hardly "the worst defence ever" if they are the second best team in the best league in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Casillas is the hardest-working goalkeeper around cos of what's in front of him, and they're the second best team cos they score plenty and he's so good. You should watch them sometime.

bit of a pointless thread anyway since only a handful of keepers are only ever seen on tv with any great regularity

what about

sebastian frey
    michael landrau
    timo hildebrand
    tim weise
    igor akinfeev (he's like 18 and he's russias no.1)

none of them are on tv much and are all top keepers

• Advertisement
Advertisement