Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

el rabitos wrote:
    what about

sebastian frey
    michael landrau
    timo hildebrand
    tim weise
    igor akinfeev (he's like 18 and he's russias no.1)

none of them are on tv much and are all top keepers

I only know those 3 in bold above, but yeah very good keepers. Ben Foster ftw :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

tdv wrote:
    Im suprised no one has mentioned Coupet of Lyon he'll be the best in a few years time

Not likely, he's older than Buffon! I think he is even plder than wee Shay.

Akinfeev will be amaziong but he isn't world class yet, might be a bit short aswell, but his reflexes are amazing and his shot stopping is already world class, needs a bit more aerial power but a great prospect.

Weise is a bit like Dida, on his day he is world class but (as seen against Juventus in CL) he is prone to moments of madness! bit heavey aswell.

Hildebrand will be germanys No.1 after Jens and Oliver depart to the grassy plans of retirement and not because he is techincally better than Weise, but because he is more consistant and in International football consistancy is more important than technical ability (which is about level for both keepers tbh) The defence has to trust the keeper 100% and for that reason Hildebrand will get the nod.

Never seen Landrau play, can't commetn, don't even know who he plays for tbh.

Frey is already world class, it's a toss up between himself and Amelia as to who is the best keeper in italy after Buffon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Seaneh wrote:
    Never seen Landrau play, can't commetn, don't even know who he plays for tbh.

plays for nantes in france, no idea how he hasnt got a big move yet. linked with milan and asenal a few times, but nothing happened. great shot stopper.

Cool, what age is he?
    Milan are constantly linked with young frence players, seems to be the only country outside Italy we scout for youth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

He's 26. Played brilliantly agianst United a few seasons ago and I think they tried to buy him.

Short article here:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/french_football/focus/landreau.html

With that said he's not in Buffon's or Casillas' class. IMO its a toss up between them for world's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

el rabitos wrote:
    great shot stopper.

I wonder what Jimmy McGee would say bout that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Trilla wrote:
    I wonder what Jimmy McGee would say bout that :D

something in a ridiculously stupid accent no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ziggy67 wrote:
    True, the same reason why Given is playing for Newcastle IMO- he isn't good enough to play for a top class team.

Shockingly untrue!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

ziggy67 wrote:
    Why so?

Why is he still at Newcastle then?

mmmm, sense of loyalty (rare thing these days)?
    Huge salary? not too many other teams could match what he is getting payed at Newcastle, including Liverpool, Arsenel, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ziggy67 wrote:
    Why so?

Same reason as Duff.. they pay top bucks and the fans treat the players as Gods.. not like at some other clubs where you could be their greatest hero one minute and the brunt of abuse the next.

Newcastle is a footballing city.. and footballers like to be there. Throw in 100k a week or whatever they're on and its an attractive prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

ziggy67 wrote:
    Why so?

It would cost an awful lot to buy him and he loves Newcastle. One of the best keepers in the world spent 4 seasons with Fulham. He's Holland's most capped player and their captain yet he spent his prime years at a bottom half team.

What Trotter said is correct too. You'd have to go to Newcastle to realise what football means to them. No place in Britain is quite like it.

How can you say he isn't good enough? He's absolutely amazing. I wouldn't mind if he was inconsistant but he is quality every single game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

If I was the best golakeeper in the world I'd want to play for Newcastle too.

• Advertisement

He has been the most consistant goal keeper in england for over 5 years now!

Clubs aren't after him for the same reason they didn't try to sign Sherar from Newcastle, he would cost too much.

Newcastle are one of the biggest clubs in europe as far as fan base and financial clout goes, they can pay big fees and big wages and they don't need to sell players, so if someone wants to buy a player they love who is worth say 10 million, they (newcastle) would just ask for 15, and so on.

That is the only reason Given isn't at Man Utd/Arsenal/Milan/Barce or anothyer major CL club, the cost would be immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

ziggy67 wrote:
    Can't recall the top clubs really going after him, which is strange if he is as good as he is made out to be here.

How many clubs tried to sign Shearer while he was there? They're unattainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Surely if he was that good then the huge price would be irrellevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Given's always been a top keeper and has been voted into the Premiership Team of the Season on more than one occassion. Although with Newcastle's back four he does have plenty of opportunity to pull off the saves.

Igor Akinfeev is gonna be quality. Also Hildebrand will get the recognition he deserves outside Germany once Lehmann bows out. I used to think a lot f Sebastien Frey. He was wanted by Arsenal at one stage but had a very bad injury last season. A top keeper on his day.

ziggy67 wrote:
    I will respectfully agree to disagree with you.

He is a good keeper playing for an average side in an overated league.

BTW noticed how you didn't put Chelsea in that little list of yours- is that because Mourinho had him down as a "weak link" in the team in that leaked dossier? http://forum.football.co.uk/about5013.html

No, it's because they are a rich club, not a big club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

gustavo wrote:
    Surely if he was that good then the huge price would be irrellevant
    Can people not make a judgement themselves? :) I can't see anyone splashing out £15m on a keeper at this moment in time. theres so many of them out there at the moment that you can get a top keeper for a fraction of that, ie. Artur Boruc for £1m, van der Sar for 2 or 3, Robert Green for £2m. I think Barthez may still be the record British transfer fee for a keeper at £7.8m. Who's going to pay double that for a 30 year old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

el rabitos wrote:
    plays for nantes in france, no idea how he hasnt got a big move yet. linked with milan and asenal a few times, but nothing happened. great shot stopper.
    he moved to psg this summer i think, saw him play 2 years ago when i was in france for nantes, thought he would be in a top league by now though

Advertisement