Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use a Dog-sitter?

Options
  • 18-08-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

If himself and I are heading away overnight anywhere we put our two small but lively dogs into kennels. Recently, for a couple of reasons, I've been considering getting someone local (maybe a teenager looking to earn a bit of extra cash?) to come over to feed and walk them rather than putting them into kennels. Has anyone done this? Do you recommend it? Anyone got recommendations for someone to provide such a service in the Kimmage area?

My reasons for considering changing from the kennels are as follows:

1. Cost - €20 a night for the two of them isn't too bad for a weekend away but really adds up quickly for any longer stays. Its still considerably less than many kennels and dog-sitting services (on of which quoted €55 per day for the two dogs!) but adds up as you can imagine.

2. The kennels are miles from our house which is a pain for dropping off and picking up. Also the relatively restrictive hours mean that we have to leave them in for longer than would otherwise be strictly necessary - e.g. if we have to depart early we have to leave them in the day before and if we're returning late we'd have to leave them in an extra night and pick them up the next day.

3. I don't have free access to see the kennels - the dogs are taken from us and dropped back to us at the gates of the kennels. Himself has seen them (had to make an appointment to see them) and says they're basic but fine.

4. Minor but annoying - the mutts are always super-stinky when they come back from kennels!

My reservations about getting someone to come to the house are these:

1. Obvious, could be a raving looney who ransacks the garage, pinches our bikes, cooks the dogs and deals drugs from our back garden. Or maybe they just don't turn up reliably, leaving the mutts unfed and unwalked (they'd never be unwatered as we have a pond - they're preferred drinking source)

2. Giving someone else the responsibility for the dogs - they'd have to keep them on the lead while they walked them (we have stretchy leads so not too bad - we'd let them off in a park but I wouldn't depend on them coming to heel for a stranger), keep them in check if they get over-excited about meeting another dog/person and (euw!) clean up poos on the walks.

3. Would the dogs go nuts on their own in the garden and garage all day and all night? They're used to being on their own (with just each other for company) during the day but are in the house in the evenings and at night. If I tried it I'd have to ask the neighbours to report back on any barky behaviour.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

How about asking someone you know, who loves dogs. (i'm putting my dog into kennels for the first time next week and i am very nervous about that).

Or even check on some of the "animal" boards.
    http://www.irishanimals.com/care/kennel.html#care

you may find something useful on the above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

We've done that before, trilo, but I feel its a bit of an imposition. Either someone takes the mutts into their house: a bit manic if they're not used to having mutts around, also having to deal with hairs and poo in their house/garden (dogs are house trained so the latter should be confined to outside, but still). Or someone has to schlepp over to our place to feed and pootle the pooches. And someone I know (family or friends) is unlikely to accept payment for doing all this (and a bottle of wine doesn't really seem to suffice). The ideal would be if I had local friends/family with mutts for whom I could reciprocate but I don't.

That's why I was thinking a local kid might be the answer: they don't have far to travel if they're just around the corner from us, they don't have to take the mutts into their house and as we'd be paying them, it would feel like a more mutually beneficial arrangement.

Don't worry about putting your dog into kennels. We've put ours into two over the years and never had a problem - except for the cost and convience factor as mentioned before. Just make sure your furry friend is up-to-date on all vacinations including kennel cough - but any reputable kennel will insist on seeing your certs anyway. If you think it would make your dog feel better you could also send your dog to the kennels with some familiar bedding and a toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eachtrannach

coolaboola wrote:
    (and a bottle of wine doesn't really seem to suffice)

Depends on the wine ... I know a certain Hungarian vintage Tokaj ... but I digress:

Your reservations regarding dog sitters are normal, I'd say - there are professionals to do this, these should be ok with anything (from picking up poops to not being raving loonies). Or chose a kid you know (and whose parents you know will make life hell for him/her if he/she sullies the family's reputation in the 'hood ... just joking!). On the behavior of your dogs the jury has to be out until it happens ...

What struck me as strange is your description of the kennels ... the smell factor alone and the "no unannounced visit" thing plus you not actually bringing the dog into the kennel would set my alarm bells ringing. Don't know why ... just seems weird all in all. Might be normal procedure in kennels though (being a cat person I frequent catteries, obviously, the code of conduct seems to be quite different there).

Good luck anyway!

:) (Don't mention Tokaj ... memories of a very jolly wine tasting in Budapest which ended with me pouring Tokaj over our host ... long story involving too much Tokaj ... but now I digress!)

Alas, it was the professional dog-sitters who quoted €55 per day! I was hoping to get away with something closer to €10 a day (hence keeping it local)

You're right though, I have to try it an see. Maybe give it a whirl for a short break (a night or two) and see how it goes ...

I know exactly what you mean about the kennels. It freaked me out a bit too but we've been using them often enough now to feel comfortable with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tiger Weenie

Hi

I would just like to say that the Kennels that you described that you are puting your dogs in doesn't sounds a bit odd. You should have access to the kennels at all times. I also don't like the idea of the dogs being smelly when you get them back, that could onl mean that the kennels are not being cleaned properly or often enough. As for dogsitters i think it's a great idea, I was often thinking of it as i refuse to go on Hols and leave my 2 dogs and 4 cats anywhere. I get my sister in law to mind them if she can and if she can't i don't go.
    So if there is anyone out there that is willing to set up a proper professional dogsitting service here is one person that would galdly avail of your services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tiger Weenie

Hi

I would just like to say that the Kennels that you described that you are putting your dogs in sounds a bit odd. You should have access to the kennels at all times. I also don't like the idea of the dogs being smelly when you get them back, that could only mean that the kennels are not being cleaned properly or often enough. As for dogsitters i think it's a great idea, I was often thinking of it as i refuse to go on Hols and leave my 2 dogs and 4 cats anywhere. I get my sister in law to mind them if she can and if she can't i don't go.
    So if there is anyone out there that is willing to set up a proper professional dogsitting service here is one person that would galdly avail of your services.

Hi Tiger Weenie, There are professional dog-sitters - they just cost a fortune! I was quoted €55 per day! (check out listings on www.irishanimals.com) I can understand how that might be - they've to travel to your house from wherever they're based and feed and walk the dogs before travelling back to base again. I think the one's I spoke to also include checking on the house as part of the service (I'm lucky to have good neighbours who are around a lot and would do this for us anyway - I just wouldn't go so far as to impose caring for the dogs on them too)

I was thinking of offering a local kid something around a €10-ish to pop around twice a day for feeding (takes max. 5 mins each feed) including a walk before one of those feeds (30 mins). Including time to get to our house and back (assuming they're local) that's max. 1 hour's work a day (40 mins-ish feeding and walking plus 20 mins travelling time - I'm pretty sure I'd find someone within 5 mins of our place)

I'm not too worried about the kennels. Apparently the restrictions are for insurance reasons (ok, I get that - they're not insured to have Joe Public coming and going at any time). The dogs have seemed any worse for the wear after staying there. They're just inconvienent and expensive for longer stays (and smelly - I think it from something the dogs roll in when they're allowed run about because their bed doesn't stink after the kennels)

Advertisement