Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

used space on hd

• 18-08-2006 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I recently reinstalled win xp pro.

My hd is 80gb, which formatted is 74.4 gb.

The prob i am having is that of the 74.4 gb 62.5gb is showing up as free.
    So that gives me 11.9gb of files. but when i select all the files in my hd it gives me a size of 4.5gb.

I could understand if there was a small difference due to hidden files etc, but not that much.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Open My Computer, click on tools, then select folder options. Click the View Tab, Under 'hidden files and folders' select 'Show all Files', move a little lower and unselect 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'

Now Highlight all the files/folder on your C:\ Drive (Press Ctrl+A to select all), right click and choose properties. This will give you a clearer picture.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

themole wrote:
    I recently reinstalled win xp pro.

when u reinstalled , did u format the drive and put a fresh copy on ... or did u just install a parallel copy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

I already had show hidden files selected.

when i unselected hide os files the size of the files on the c drive is now 5.88gb.

still well short of the 11.9gb.

I did a low level format using a linux live cd before instaling win xp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

great program to use -> spacemonger. nice graphical display of any harddrive

anyways. sound a bit like a big page file and system restore files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

maybe u have huge log files being generated by some program.... to check this do a serach on the drive of all files ( *.* ) and arrange the results by size.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

advanced search with size - at least - 500Mb
    doing a full search on 11Gb would takes it time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

do you have system restore enabled? doesnt this take like 12% of the drive space?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

windows also reserves space at the start of the drive if you are using NTFS

If you are using FAT you hit allocation unit problems with a hard limit of between 32,000 and 64,000 files max - that's why FAT32 is used instead.

Advertisement