Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Cook Book/Recipe/Food-related Site?

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Minder wrote: »
    Now you've done it! Pre-ordered on Amazon as I type. What do you do when you have too many cookbooks? Buy more bookshelves!
    TheKBizzle wrote: »
    I really like the masterchef cookery course book. It's well illustrated and goes from the basics right up to more difficult meals. I use that one the most.
    Faith wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Japanese food, but I'm living in a UK town with very little beyond sushi. I YEARN for a decent donburi (I'm looking at you, Miyazaki...), so I decided to buy JapanEasy by Tim Anderson to learn how to make my own Japanese food.

51tOU-ekgRL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It only arrived yesterday so I haven't actually cooked anything yet, but just from flicking through, I love it. It's really relaxed and chatty in style, and makes everything seem really achievable. It's also quite funny! I'm really looking forward to trying it out :). (Although, truth be told, it only has a couple of donburi recipes!)

Thanks to the just the last page of posts, I have now bought 3 cookbooks.... Its going to be a treat for me for when I finish my high protein low carb weight loss diet in 2.5 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

spicy, salty, zingy ponzu make the difference.

Did you manage to get yuzu juice or dis you substitute with some other citrus?
    I love ponzu but have never made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lemon & lime juice. Yuzu not being a regular fruit on the shelves in Fingal. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lemon & lime juice. Yuzu not being a regular fruit on the shelves in Fingal. ;)

Yuzu has a real orange citrus note though. But I’d say it’s nigh on impossible to get in Ireland.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yuzu has a real orange citrus note though. But I’d say it’s nigh on impossible to get in Ireland.

I'm wondering if grapefruit would be a good substitute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A couple of recipes I've come across have suggested lemon & lime 50/50. When I've had it in restaurants I've never noticed an orangey note to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A couple of recipes I've come across have suggested lemon & lime 50/50. When I've had it in restaurants I've never noticed an orangey note to it.

It’s become a bit of a thing in craft beers so it’s the only time I’ve ever tasted it but it definitely has an orange citrus flavour from what I’ve experienced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you're desperate and willing to pay a premium for authenticity, you can get yuzu juice on amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tokushima-Yuzusu-Yuzu-Juice-150/dp/B01617Q8RO/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536917862&sr=8-3&keywords=yuzu

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Souschef do a variety of Yuzu products at various prices. Shipping is €10 though.

https://www.souschef.co.uk/pages/search-results?q=Yuzu

They also do great gift sets where you get a recipe book and a selection of the main ingredients from whatever cuisine it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've seen jars of yuzu tea for sale in a couple of asian shops in Bray - it's basically a jam/compote that you mix with hot water to make a drink, so you could definitely use it for other yuzu-related purposes :)

edit: I think it's the same one that Asia market sells:

HN8aKxd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 536 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

You can get yuzu in the asia market. They do free delivery over €50.

https://www.asiamarket.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=yuzu

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    You can get yuzu in the asia market. They do free delivery over €50.

https://www.asiamarket.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=yuzu

While it has Yuzu in the name, it appears to be an ume plum liqueur.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

I though I'll refresh this one as I'm looking for my first cookbook.

I've scanned through the whole thread. My take on it is that for staple cookbook I have to choose between 'Mary Berry Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook' and 'Delia's Complete Cookery Course '... and may be Nigel Slater?

For Fusion: Tessa Kiros and Ottolengi

Anything else came up over the recent years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I wouldn't go with Nigel Slater for a first cookery book; he's more, "This recipe is a starting point: take it and run with it". I also think his recipes are not always reliable. YMMV.

I couldnt put up with Nigella Lawson on TV, but I like her writing and the recipes I've used have worked well. To get an idea, sign up to her mailing list and get sent a recipe every day.

Of more recent books, take a look at Miguel Barclay's £1 series, and Rukmini Ayers' Roasting Tin books, though looking on Amazon neither series started that recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭SweetSand

I have Mary Berry’s “Cookery course”, a step-by-step masterclass in home cooking. I bought it few years ago in Tk maxx and I have to say I find it great. I tried most of the recipes and they were all delicious. I have few of her other books but don’t like them as much. In my opinion that one is a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Thank you all! And how about 'Ballymaloe Cookery Course' ? Reviews seem quite favorable.

Advertisement