Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New user focus group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sid Deuce wrote:

Well considering how half the fukwits on this thread read your post as "new forum for only newbies to post in so they are all safe and cuddley'd up" I'd say you are bang on the money. Were the focus gruop to be an open forum they would only miss read and fuk that up to.

STFU n00b

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tar
    You still post like you're six, Eck, I think he should be made join this particular forum.
    Also.
    Cuddly environment? Did you recently get a lobotomy? Maybe you should lie down for a while with a wet cloth on your brow, I can feel your fever from here.
    I thought this new forum was to whip the No0bs into shape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are people responding so aggressively to this, and why do they feel this is some money spinning excercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

Carnivore wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why are people responding so aggressively to this, and why do they feel this is some money spinning excercise?

They are morons and got the wrong end of the stick?

Mostly because they (the first few bar Minesajd) didn't read Ecksors post properly and then the sheep bandwagon rolled in when the rest were just too stupid to read the post properly too but by reading the other "wrong" replies they took their opinion. Wrongly assuming there was a newb only forum being created to keep newbs safe from older savvy members.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=98 is actually the forum that they are protesting against in a way and its an open one too which makes it even more laughable. A newbie orientated froum where any one can post? huzzah! Idiots.

There is though and underbelly to all of this. You can tell that from Minesajd posts and ecksors replies. But in my noobs opinion the sooner boards goes like a George Michael concert the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Beruthiel wrote:
    Tar
    You still post like you're six, Eck, I think he should be made join this particular forum.
    Also.
    Cuddly environment? Did you recently get a lobotomy? Maybe you should lie down for a while with a wet cloth on your brow, I can feel your fever from here.
    I thought this new forum was to whip the No0bs into shape!
    Whip them into shape like a rich kid getting sent to haversworthschool for better boys, Muah!
    I'm not much older than six.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I guess you could give people top tips on what to do if Whitewashman shouts at you.

Go to the bathroom, curl up into a little ball and cry your eyes out. Has worked for me so far!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Sarky wrote:
    It'll be nothing but lol and omg and ur cute!!!!!!!!! and all manner of crap that the old school beats out of newbies.

Not at all. Think of it like a more interactive feedback with more care and understanding.
    grimloch wrote:
    Assuming they're all herded into their little forum, what's going to stop the older members shouting them down when they come out their cosy safe haven? Presumably they can't stay tucked away in some corner of boards forever.

Nothing, but at least the environment exists for the new ones to ask their questions in a safer atmosphere. There will be no discouragement from joining in the regular feedback process and it will help people to become more confident in their right to express themselves here.

Sid Deuce, thank you very much for the kind words.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Everyone whos complaining about this please address your comments to Giblet via PM. He is the moderator of this forum and best suited to answer these questions. All this bickering on this thread solves nothing.

Ps. 5 star thread. :D

Sid Deuce wrote:

Mostly because they (the first few bar Minesajd) didn't read Ecksors post properly and then the sheep bandwagon rolled in when the rest were just too stupid to read the post properly too but by reading the other "wrong" replies they took their opinion. Wrongly assuming there was a newb only forum being created to keep newbs safe from older savvy members.

But even MAJD seemed fairly hositile to it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=98 is actually the forum that they are protesting against in a way and its an open one too which makes it even more laughable. A newbie orientated froum where any one can post? huzzah! Idiots.

Thats not the forum, at all at all at all. That forum has existed for years, Ecksor proposes a new forum, which is private. seems you didn't read this thread either.
    But in my noobs opinion the sooner boards goes like a George Michael concert the better.

Gay and american? I don't follow...

ecksor wrote:
    Sid Deuce, thank you very much for the kind words.
    ecksor wrote:
    caring and understanding

*snigger*

Ok, so now I'm really worried. I may have had one too many glasses of wine tonight, but seriously Eck, are you ok?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

George Michael is not American.

Carnivore wrote:
    But even MAJD seemed fairly hositile to it.

Thats not the forum, at all at all at all. That forum has existed for years, Ecksor proposes a new forum, which is private. seems you didn't read this thread either.

Gay and american? I don't follow...

Ok I'll repeat myself. The minesaJD thing. Yes there is "something" there. I refered to it as an underbelly. I have no idea what it is. It seems to be a whole other thread tbh.

The forum I linked to. It is for noobs really and anyone can post there. People assumed Ecksor was making a priavte forum for noobs only to congregate in, away for the horrible masses till they found their footing. LIke the Newbiw FAQ boards only private. That is not what is suggested. It is a focus group type forum where newbs have to request access and when in there make suggestions or get asked for feed back. From a newbie perspective. Like marketing. A quite simple and good suggestion. Bit like those marketing people who stop you and ask you questions on the street. It might be worth noting to at this point that they to some times have an exact demographic that they have to ask. A certain age groups fro example.

It is going to be a private forum so that it can do its job efficently without older members perking up every five minutes to lambast a less that useful suggestion. Bit like the way I am throwing in the word "morons" in my posts to help make all the spanners feel better. It's not like I have to if you get me but as they understand it is part of the learning process. The enjoy the learning don't you know.

Oh and George Michael concert? = Sold out :)

You are welcome by the way Ecksor. It seems all understand and happily enjoy a benevolent dictatorship until they feel oppressed, or in this case think they are being oppressed.

IP check on Sid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He likes George Michael. Clearly something is amiss.

But really, what's wrong with things as they are? If newbies feel unsafe, there's a plethora of ways to look for a fair deal. Newbies/FAQ, Feedback, reporting posts...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The fact that the n00bs supporting this idea are instantly resorting to calling everyone who disagrees with them idiots proves that they need to be skool'd just like everyone else was; hardcore flamewar stylee.

flogen wrote:
    The fact that the n00bs supporting this idea are instantly resorting to calling everyone who disagrees with them idiots proves that they need to be skool'd just like everyone else was; hardcore flamewar stylee.

Couldn't agree more flogen, huddle them into one room I say and let the AK 47 rip.
    Seriously though, teaching them the steps is not a half bad idea.

Sarky wrote:
    He likes George Michael. Clearly something is amiss.

But really, what's wrong with things as they are? If newbies feel unsafe, there's a plethora of ways to look for a fair deal. Newbies/FAQ, Feedback, reporting posts...

Its a specific forum with a specific use.

Why can't you get that? Why does it bother you so? Can boards.ie not run a new user only based discussion board? One where they, the new user, offer their services as a Device to be probed?

Did Jesus die for you Sarky? I hope not!

On another note one tool that is highly under used by the Admins if the initial signing up email and welcome messages. They could be used to a much better effect with mentioning Charters and Highlighting this new forum for their newbie feed back. It is amazing how many newbies don't post much for nearly a year or so. It would be nice to get their feedback in a non judgemental enviroment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We could lure them in then change the name of the forum to "Post here to be banned". The idea gets a thumbs up from me :)
    Sid Deuce wrote:
    Can boards.ie not run a new user only based discussion board?

I vote "Logan's Run" for the name anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

As long as it isnt to lecture them, I think it's a fine idea, I'm not sure what the problem is so long as it's optional and users can still participate in the main forum, even if you were doing it for money, so what?

Btw, as a treat to the newer posters, would it be possible to take away or suspend the postcount of more established posters using the n00b line on them. An eye for an eye...:)

With regards to this forum idea. Personally I think it will fail unless the users of it actualyl feel like they ahve a say. No point in removing all the sharks if the posters are just ignored, but in a slightly less offensive manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Private Message sent to Giblet..

Beruthiel wrote:
    Seriously though, teaching them the steps is not a half bad idea.

/bangs head off wall.

In other news why am I doing Ecksors work? :)

At time like this I feel for you Ecksor. I really do.

/runs off.......

flogen wrote:

I am an SA and P45 old timer.

Feel free to skool me, as you so elegently put it. And then Ecksors suggestion can be case and point :rolleyes:

Sid Deuce wrote:
    /bangs head off wall.

Need any help with that? As a caring and understanding Mod, I'm here to assist

In other news why am I doing Ecksors work? :)

One does wonder, are you hoping to assist in some way with this new forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Amp te4st.

I said it first, and added a leet 4.

Sarky wrote:
    Amp te4st.

I said it first, and added a leet 4.

Get in line buster, I've already got the whip oiled

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sid Deuce wrote:
    P45 old timer

My condolences.

I think I understand what the forum is for, and I don't see a problem with it, then again, who cares if I have a problem with it or not, I don't run boards.ie :)

If the administrators want to pay attention to new users that's fine; I don't believe they actually will in the end, because they barely have enough time for regular activities, helpdesk, etc as is, without pandering to a specific registration date based demograph concurrently (what a wordy sentence).

Then again, maybe this is why the SMod roster is being topped up? emot-iiam.gif

Heh, after all this time, I guess you really are your reg date ;) It cuts both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

CuLT wrote:
    Heh, after all this time, I guess you really are your reg date ;) It cuts both ways.

You missed the huge debate on the mod forum as to whether post count or registration date was the true measure of a poster's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Stark wrote:
    You missed the huge debate on the mod forum as to whether post count or registration date was the true measure of a poster's worth.
    I vaguely recall something like that actually...

In fact, I brought it up several times in relation to keeping the FS forums in line and trash-free.

Of course, this isn't the same idea, it's not a tiered access system (though that's an interesting one to consider, and would no doubt be vehemently opposed), it's just the admins poking at a petri of prepubescent posters.

Advertisement