Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New user focus group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sid Deuce wrote:

Go away dickheads. You are not getting it.

Note to self, this bitch gets bitchier around the 18th of the month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

ecksor wrote:
    Sid Deuce, I see the point you're trying to make, but the fact remains that you are being excessively abusive in making that point. Please refrain.

My Apologies Ecksor. I purposely went OTT for a reason but have removed the most offensive (bar being quoted)

The remit of your new forum seems quite clear from your explainations. A focus group with a set Demographic with access by request and said forum being private for Admin use to stop any unuseful side lineing/detraction...This thread being point and case. But still people have issues with it?

But then do they really have issues with it? It actually seems not. Even reading Amps post concerning the three main points "something is broken", "Being banned" and a "suggestion" being for the help desk or feedback.... well yes they still are and that is not going to change. But some how this is now all an attack on him and the Mods? Where or how do people see that? How is any one being oppressed?

It just seems glaringly obvious that it's a bloody Private marketing type focus group.

Regardless it does seem that all the other issues people have about being oppressed etc just HAVE to be voiced be they a real concern or not. Such is life. Once again good luck with it. Going around in circles is making me dizzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A board solely for finding out what newbies think of the site etc. seems grand to me.

A board for trying to whip newbies into internet-shape seems a bad idea. How is one going to categorise newbies? Just because someone has a low post count or a recent join date doesn't mean that they're an idiot.
    It applies for some, but, well, for the stupider newbies, chances are they wouldn't even sign up for a "whipping into shape" forum, so the point would be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

N00bs should be kept in the Prison forum for the first two months of being a member here. That'll sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

amp wrote:
    I'm sick of the moderators being attacked here. It's bad enough coming from an outraged moron who's only been here two weeks but from the Admins it makes me sick.

If users want to give feedback without the fear of being opressed by myself and the rest of the evil moderator cabal then they can post to the Helpdesk. They don't because Feedback is more popular. Ask yourself why Feedback is more popular.

It's because you post here, Amp:)

Personally I think that 'postcount snobbery' is an oxymoron, but there you go, some people would attach a meaning to their postcounts.
    Generally in life people tend to stick up for the underdog, but a 'n00b', almost by default tends to incur all the bitterness of a 'new face at the village pump' syndrome here. Of course some new posters wouldn't know the meaning of the word courtesy, but the same can go for a poster whose been here for 5 years.
    I doubt boards.ie is 'full' or a 'closed circle', and if it's gotten to the point where they need to open a forum for new posters because they're going to get talked down to, it says more about the hierarchical nature of the board than the perceived automatic idiocy of a new member. The benefit of this forum is that at least the new member would feel part of a group when s/he joins.

But of course most posters wouldn't act that way, I'm sure a member's postcount or join date wouldn't enter into most peoples heads, it isnt all bad here.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 robertjordan

hi guys i am new to this so here goes can anyone tell me where i can get a police scanner thingy for a bed bound person who loves to listen to the police,marine, air plane chatter? thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lol wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I'm still a noob/virgin/loser or whatever ye like to call newcomers :) but yesterday was the first time that I've fallen foul of a more 'mature' user's ire. I think let newcomers stand up for themselves, so far boards.ie seems to be a fairly happy place full of helpful people.
    I've never gotten the feeling that I was at the mercy of the lions here, so to speak. We need to learn to stand on our own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i would like to get Giblet's take on all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well currently he's off on retreat with some of our new members singing inspriational (not brainwashing) campfire songs.

Kumbaya my mod, kumbaya
    Someone's trolling mod, kumbaya
    Someone's flaming mod, kumbaya
    Someone's spamming mod, kumbaya
    Oh mod, kumbaya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shoudn't that read Kumbanya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I've never gotten the feeling that I was at the mercy of the lions here, so to speak. We need to learn to stand on our own two feet.

I have to agree, also I don't think there is much "shouting down" that goes on in Feedback, there is certainly a great deal of curtness, but then again that sort of attitude can come from anybody and anytime.

I would love to see some examples of this "dominant older members" agressive attitude, just to see the trends.

I hate to say it but I kinda feel like Im being replaced, ecksor said this was for the most important people in boards, you. This new forum is not for me, why, am I not important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well I sent Giblet the PM for the user focus group.Giblet hasn't replied yet and I don't want to spam his inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Chakar wrote:
    Well I sent Giblet the PM for the user focus group.Giblet hasn't replied yet and I don't want to spam his inbox.

he's probably got a heap of pms and has to go thru them all to make sure all the applicants actually suit the criteria.

PM Ecksor to get you fast tracked if you think you fit the bill

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Ok, Sorry folks but Minesajackdaniels and amp, who have made their objections clear on this thread, have both dug their heels in and made it clear that they will not cooperate with this venture so I feel it is impossible to continue with it in the circumstances.

Please remember that both are hugely valuable contributors to this site and in fact the site would be much poorer without them. Their opinions are genuine reflections of their honest desire to see boards.ie develop in the best way possible and is nothing to do with their personal utterly vitriolic and overstated hatred of newbies to boards.ie so they should not be judged harshly for this by anyone.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Ecksor, you sold out man. Your like the vatican when the nazi's where killing the newbies man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

PRESS RELEASE 20/8/06

amp denies hatred of newbies

Dublin, DUBLIN, IRELAND. 20th July 2006. amp is one of the most caring, cuddly loveable people you'd ever meet and has welcomed newbies to boards.ie for longer than certain admins. Although controlled by a higher lifeform in The Cuckoos Nest he maintains a friendly and welcoming atmosphere in which all, newb and veteran can mingle and get stalked.

Allegations that amp allowed newbies to be banned by skimping on security and failing to call in an Admin are almost completely false. You cannot simply walk into the areas he mods without presenting a user registration.

amp takes his responsibility to his customers very seriously and will spend vast amounts of money taking people who report on alleged abuse of those newbies to court instead of admiting he has problems.

About amp:
    amp is currently - King Amp Ampinstein the First Lord Catagory Moderator of The Games, Drone Slave of The Leader of TCN, Protector of Humanities, Dr PHD AND ALSO MA WITH THE BA HEY HEY of Ask Dr. Demento, Party Animal of the Events Forum and ALMIGHTY PAIN IN THE ASS IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM*

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think I feel a new t-shirt coming on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Thanks for the access Giblet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ecksor wrote:
    Ok, Sorry folks but Minesajackdaniels and amp, who have made their objections clear on this thread, have both dug their heels in and made it clear that they will not cooperate with this venture so I feel it is impossible to continue with it in the circumstances.

Are you attempting to throw our little lambs to the wolves!?
    I'm shocked and appalled!
    Nobody actually believes you would cave like this anyways, except newbies maybe.
    oh
    wait.... :(

almost completely false amp? :D

Carnivore wrote:
    Ecksor, you sold out man. Your like the vatican when the nazi's where killing the newbies man.

Thats a bit harsh :(

I am sure there are reasons for this decision. One can only imagine that discussions/feedback on this matter and others to do with the future of boardes.ie were discussed somewhere private with access for a specific few who had met a specific membership requirement before they could voice their opinion. A place safe from the masses.

A bit like the thing Ecksor was suggesting actually. When you think about it.

Maybe in the light of all this healthy debate that place could be made public.

To quote the man himself....
    Okay, I said this offline when the decision was being taken and I say it again here - boards.ie has no place for an elitist forum that segregates one section of the user base from other sections.

Or... just maybe... there are good reasons. Who knows. Maybe one group deserves to be cuddled by privacy. Perhaps the harsh cold place of the open forums might not be a nice place to voice their feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fine. Have your forum. Then the administrators can have their appropriate statistical calculation on the demographic of recent registrations and the views of new users, thereby allowing them to target their advertising more appropriately.

Enjoy being a focus group. Or rather, the focus for a group.

Fine. Have your forum. Then the administrators can have their appropriate statistical calculation on the demographic of recent registrations and the views of new users, thereby allowing them to target their advertising more appropriately.

Enjoy being a focus group. Or rather, the focus for a group.

Are you talking to me? I don't want any forum. I suggest you direct that to Ecksor my good sir.

As for "targeting" marketing? Probably better that willy nilly advertising! Sure that would be a waste of everones bandwidth!

Even google have coped on to that. Even the admins did with the census forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's just a place for the newbies to feel safe.

As long as they remember that the predators will only prowl up and down so many times before they pounce and grab a weak one ;)

Can anyone who's posted to the LGB forum also be part of this focus group? We won't be settling down and having babies with other forum users after we've been here a certain period of time so we'll have lots of disposable cash for the pleasure of your marketeers. :)

Stark wrote:
    It's just a place for the newbies to feel safe.

As long as they remember that the predators will only prowl up and down so many times before they pounce and grab a weak one ;)

Can anyone who's posted to the LGB forum also be part of this focus group? We won't be settling down and having babies with other forum users after we've been here a certain period of time so we'll have lots of disposable cash for the pleasure of your marketeers. :)

Someone else who didn't get it. :rolleyes:

In all fairness board.ie does not really need to "think" its ad/marketing. Every forum has a specific grouping. Fashion? Hardly the place for Eircom to advertise. Starwberry.net? Possibly. Where would the samaritans free ad be? hmmm? Suggestions?

Boards.ie is pretty much like a magazine. Be it motors, films or what ever. As such it's advertising should really just follow those experts. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Thats my suggestion/feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Beruthiel wrote:
    almost completely false amp? :D

Damn your keen legal mind!!! Damn it TO HELL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

This forum is a good idea.

Its funny how the people against this idea are long established users - members of certain cliques within boards.ie
    The same people are all too quick to jump into a feedback thread in aid of their buddy whether right or wrong. Follow each other around namechecking and generally backing each other up. It is intimidating to new users and while these members do add a lot to the community, sometimes they do more harm than good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Its funny how the people against this idea are long established users -

Well, new members are hardly likely to complain, or care enough to complain, are they?
    members of certain cliques within boards.ie

I love this "clique" obsession some people seem to have. I'd love to know what cliques there are, and to join one. I feel so alone.
    The same people are all too quick to jump into a feedback thread in aid of their buddy whether right or wrong.

You know, I rarely see that many threads where someone has truely been unjustly treated on these boards.
    Follow each other around namechecking and generally backing each other up.

See above.
    It is intimidating to new users and while these members do add a lot to the community, sometimes they do more harm than good.

Again, I don't see this rather vague "harm". Perhaps we need some good examples to win people over.

Advertisement