Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card use

Options
  • 18-08-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

this is prob. a stupid question but here it goes anyway. can you use someone else's credit card details to pay for something in person. (thus without the actual card).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Like walking into a shop with just the number/expiration/name on a paper or something? Not normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IIRC, most credit card systems don't begin the transaction until the card is swiped or inserted into the CAP reader. I don't think I have ever encountered a system that lets you manually key in a transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

esperanza wrote:
    this is prob. a stupid question but here it goes anyway. can you use someone else's credit card details to pay for something in person. (thus without the actual card).

yes indeed you can, my cc does not swipe right now so the 16 digits are keyed in.

I take the point that in person ideally u need the card but when u are on line or ordering over the fone u dont need the card, especially if u have the 3 digit code off the back.

this is what allows identity theft/fraud with CC's

:D to prove it OP, just post the number here and we will let u know how we get on:D [Mod : joke]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well you *could*. Like the way you pay for something over the phone with your CC. There's not a need for the card to be there. But to prevent fraud, most - nay all - merchants wouldn't accept this as this would be facilitating this. Even more so if it is not your card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well you could do it over the phone but as aidan_walsh mentioned also, I don't think I have seen CC details being keyed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

a merchant can type in the number, expiry, cvv2, into a terminal, if it is a large store that feature may have been disabled and the cashier will have to call the manager to enable it

it exists so that if a card has been damaged and the magnetic strip/chip rendered unreadable a debit can still be made

so a merchant could enter any details into the terminal even if they just came from a piece of paper

HOWEVER, in the real world a customer not having a physical card is a red flag for fraud, so unless you know the merchant and he trusts you it will just look like you found out someone elses number and are trying to buy stuff on their card account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

IIRC, most credit card systems don't begin the transaction until the card is swiped or inserted into the CAP reader. I don't think I have ever encountered a system that lets you manually key in a transaction.

All credit card terminal allow the the card number to be pan-keyed.

This can be done if the card cannot be electronic read due to a fault with either the card or the machine. In these cases, the merchant would also take a proof that the card was present, usually an impression on carbon.

The other reason for pan-keying is for Mail Order/Telephone order transactions, when the customer is not present.

Often this feature requires a supervisor or manager pin.

A merchant might allow a customer present to use a card which is elsewhere., say a peron at a petrol station who cannot pay for fuel, but gets a friend on the phone and the fried quotes thier card number, but the merchant is taking a risk, even recording the car reg number might not be eneough security.

But a merchant will wave rules for regular customers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

echo

Advertisement