Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new site review

Options
  • 18-08-2006 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

hey all,

i'm very much an amateur at web design so this has taken me ages but its a site for a nursing student organisation. www.nursingstudents.euwe were looking for something cool and young and dynamic i guess with plenty of functionality as it was a Europe wide organisation so its really a community/portal site all in one.

any comments/critiscisms/good things would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

the Guru wrote:
    The link doesn't work
    Works fine from here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

just tried it and it seems ok.

.if anyone wants to log on and have a browse around thats fine. no problem if you register with the site. just drop me a PM if you don;t want to remain registered after you have a look around

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Seohelp

Hi Nurse_Baz,

The layout seems to be a bit too much of everything.

I feel that if you were to remove the column on the right hand side and put anything worth keeping into different areas of the webpage it would look a bit more professional.

The poll "Did you find this website useful and informative?" is a whole lot of nothing really. Use the space on the page to ask people what they would like to see on the site. Your statistics will answer the poll that you have at present.

If you are using Google site search and there is enough information on the website to warrant it I would attempt to move it towards to top of the page. It's hidden away like a footer at the moment.

The fact that you have provided 2 navigation bars is a bit of overkill again. You could remove the horizontal one and intergrate the search box and the login section at the top and people wouldn't even have to scroll down. The little things can make a big impact.

Also, it might be an idea to allow people to view the posts in your forum so they can see if it is active. You might pick up more active users this way. Maybe you have chosen to leave the forum "forum is open only to registered and logged in users" for another privacy related reason. Just an idea though.

Not wanting to sound harsh without reason. I know that someone that puts their site forward for review is looking for honest advice.

I think that your site has the makings of a very professional looking website. The clutter seems to be the main turn-off at present, but congrats, it certainly doesn't look amature.

Seohelp wrote:
    Hi Nurse_Baz,

etc etc etc

I think that your site has the makings of a very professional looking website. The clutter seems to be the main turn-off at present, but congrats, it certainly doesn't look amature.

thanks very much for your feedback. your points kinda tie in with some of my own tbh, so its nice to hear that I'm beginning to at least think like a semi pro :D

gonna see what i can do about the clutter over the next few days, try and put a few of your suggestions that I liked into practice.

cheers again

baz

taken some of those points on board tho i don;t have the tech knowledge to do them all.

any other thoughts or suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Indeed, editing templates can be a real pain :p

None the less you've done well with it, and while its still not perfect its not the worst.

I would suggest that you play around with a backup of the site, really dig at it and see what you can do, start to learn more yourself, because if you're anything like myself you will quickly tire of the template and feel a bit cheap, so creating your own site will be a great experience and will kill those boring evenings when you've nothing else to do! ;)

Advertisement