Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tattoo

Options
  • 18-08-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm thinking about getting my first tattoo but I want to be aware of the full implications of doing so beforehand. I'm hoping this board is an appropriate place to get some opinions!

I have got alopecia (random hair loss) which has manifested itself in the form of a circular bald spot on the back of my neck/head just above the hairline. It's roughly the size of a €2 coin. To be blunt it looks crap and I'm not happy with it at all. I want to get a small tattoo there to make it look better. I've not settled on a design yet but had in mind something like a celtic knot or a small tribal design of some sort.

The idea appeals to me greatly and personally i think it will look blooming awesome! It will be something a bit different and unique to me and i really like the idea of turning this negative feature into something I can look at positively (with a few mirrors anyway :D ).

But, I reckon people will not see it in the same light as me.. Mainly I'm worried that it may jeapordise job applications in the future. At the moment i just think balls to them but at the same time if the consequences of this are seriously negative then I might have to reconsider the whole idea.

So the questions then: How big of a problem can it be? Is there anything else I should be thinking about before making the leap? Anyone had trouble with prospective employers?

Wow that turned into a bit of a ramble (apologies!) I'm impressed if you made it this far ;) All thoughts gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I would think that a tattoo on the back of your head would be a deterrant for interviewers. But ya know, legally, they can't refuse you a job because of a tattoo.

Though saying that alot of places are liberal so it might not have an adverse effect on your employment opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭duckegg

Depending on what type of job you are going for some may not like the idea i myself have the EYE OF Ra on my neck above my collar line and have found no problems as yet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 standdownblaire

If it helps you with your confidence and its what you want to do - then do it ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 keelzer

people these days seem to be alot more accepting of body art.....i myself work for a very well known company and asked in my interview in my tattoos and piercings....quite a few of which are highly visable....would be a problem...i was delighted to recieve the answer that the company looks upon body art as a form of expression and individuality which every one is entitled to!!!

i think it a great idea personally......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

duckegg wrote:
    Depending on what type of job you are going for some may not like the idea i myself have the EYE OF Ra on my neck above my collar line and have found no problems as yet:D

I have this too on my inner arm but I call it the eye of Horus, sweet little Tattoo though.

As regards the Tattoo on your head Chavster, go with your own instinct as it's a personal thing, as Keelzer says, people are a lot more accepting of body art now than they were.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

where do ya work?
    i can see half of boards whipping out cv's

keelzer wrote:
    people these days seem to be alot more accepting of body art.....i myself work for a very well known company and asked in my interview in my tattoos and piercings....quite a few of which are highly visable....would be a problem...i was delighted to recieve the answer that the company looks upon body art as a form of expression and individuality which every one is entitled to!!!

i think it a great idea personally......

where do ya work?
    i can see half of boards whipping out cv's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 keelzer

ha i'm an avm(area visual merchandiser!!) for Topshop!! i'm based in drogheda...but travel to other stores alot!!!

Topshop is part of the Arcadia Group...which is the company that owns topshop topman burtons dorethy perkins wallis evans miss selfridges and outfit.....

so pretty big company!!

sound.. if i ever stop tattooing ill just ring em and say keelzer is me ref yea? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I am sure if you are doing it for reasons of appearances I don't think it will be viewed badly by many people.

Many women get 'cosmetic tattoos' to improve their appearance such as on their lips or eyes or to cover scars such as after having a mastectomy.

As far as hindering your job prospects think about this. Do you really want to work for a company whose only form of self expression permitted is a suggestion box in the canteen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

Well I have to say thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments! I got it done yesterday in Zulu under the steady and expert hand of Sean.

You can see it here if you are interested :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52336160#post52336160

I'm already planning the second... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

very happy for you, enjoy :)

Advertisement