Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Songs

Options
  • 18-08-2006 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

Dunno If anything like this has been posted here before but here goes. I play guitar. I go to house parties. On many occasions I do both at some wee hour of the morning at just the right time (timing is everything). This brings me to the main point of this thread. Are you a guitar player/ Musician. Have you even been at a party and some one says "Play a song man" and the following happens.
    1. You draw a blank
    2. You don't wanna play what you always play
    3. Everyone around you likes what you don't consider to be good guitar playing music (or even something that you like.)
    4. You end up playing good songs that have been ruined by this ordeal in the past
    5. Somebody requests a song you don't know and then you look like a tit despite the fact that you know you know 1000 song just not "that one"

My proposal,

Musician and non-musicians alike post the names of song that you play or would like to hear that one could pull of with just an acoustic (or two). Things that don't fall into this catagory are; really complicated song to sing or play (i.e. Bohemian Rhapsody etc. or a song that is mainly a bass and drums with very little guitar). Popular song that everyone likes that have been tried and tested in the party environment. Song with f***ing Choruses. Fake plastic Tree's is a great song but it has it's place and it not next to some girl saying do you know Breakfast at Tiffeny's!

I'll start,

Dedicated Follower of Fashion - The Kinks
    She's Electric - Oasis
    July - Mundy
    The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
    Video Killed the Radiostar - The Buggles (oh yes it's works)

... you see another thing is that you don't remember what it is you like to play cause you're drunk. I can't remember what I play at the moment (case and point) but I'm not drunk.

Angel of Harlem - U2

... that trouble is that you can't just play what you like, you know like playing track 7 off the experimental 1st album that took 50million listens to get your ear around.

Rory!

American Pie - Don Mclean (all the lyrics too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Drop the tuning and play slide with a half full pint glass. Doesn't matter if you're crap at slide. Most tone deaf party goers will be dead impressed. Works every time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Miles Long wrote:
    but I'm not drunk.
    Are you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Anything released as a single by Jack Johnson, James Taylor etc. should go down well.

Some of REM's early stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Miles Long

People!

This thread took off better on the Bands/ Musicians board. Please post further replys there.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

If anyone ever gets a guitar out at a house party and starts playing the likes of these
    Anything released as a single by Jack Johnson, James Taylor etc. should go down well.

Deserves to be glassed to death

• Advertisement
Advertisement