Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting one network to another via wireless

• 18-08-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

wless.jpg.jpg

The picture should explain what I want to do. I'd want to make it all into one big network linked through the wireless router and the wireless access point.

Will an access point do the job for me? I have everything but that so don't wanna buy anything else / anything else isn't really changeable if possible.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Swap router on right hand side for a wireless router. There was a thread very similiar to this a few weeks ago. Let me see if I can locate.....

Edit: Ta da! :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054969849

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I can't just add an access point to the router on the right?

If no to the above, how do I link two wireless routers together? DO they need to be the same model / brand / make?

agh, sorry got that arseways. Meant to say replace router on right hand side with a wireless access point. Read the thread I linked, has all the info and the OP reported that the equipment Foxwood suggested worked perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Wds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

If the networks are not on the same subnet, you'll need to route the traffic from one to the other. If RIP is setup, it will probably pick up the neighbouring router.

• Advertisement

I've read the other thread and to be honest I don't find it as an answer to my issue. I should give a little more info perhaps.

I have a 3Com wireless router - 3CRWE554G72TU.
    I also have a Linksys AP - WAP54G.

The Linksys is the "proposed ap" above.

Do I have the wrong hardware then?

ciaranfo wrote:
    I've read the other thread and to be honest I don't find it as an answer to my issue.
    Well you both have the same planned network. He just needed an AP with more than one ethernet port.
    ciaranfo wrote:
    Do I have the wrong hardware then?
    Looks fine to me. WAG54G would have to be put into repeater mode I'm guessing.

Edit: This link might of use.

So if I plug a switch into the AP - I should be able to have wired and wireless devices connect to the network on the left?

Gonna need to look through the config again then on this WAG54G ... couldn't get past the software CD last time - didn't try too hard though! :D

Yep. Read this fmi.

Also don't use the setup CD, they're crap. Login to config page using browser and set it up that way.

That's the one thing that put me off irlrobins ... I couldn't get in via the browser! The only way I could seem to link to it was with the software cd. Maybe it's the config on my laptop .. it proberly is/was.

• Advertisement

Which device are you having trouble accessing? the Linksys or the 3com?

the linksys. 3coms fine and working away. it's the right hand side of the network that i need to add onto the left.

Connected directly via cable, with no other network on the laptop. Laptop set to automatically get IP address. I get 404 error in my browser when I try to connect to 192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1

Laptop confirms that I'm connected to something at 100mbits

Doing ipconfig at the cmd prompt tells me my auto IP address is 169.254.208.155 - so clearly I'm on a different range than the Ap, which is why I can't connect ... but why would I be? :|

Set laptop to have an ip address of 192.168.1.25 with subnet 255.255.255.0. Connect it to AP using ethernet cable and then access 192.168.1.245 in your web browser. Should connect then. Once it's config'd you can set laptop back to get an ip address automatically if ur using DHCP.

Still not finding it irlrobins - any ideas ? I seem to be able to ping 192.168.1.245 in the cmd prompt and get a response though!

edit- oh **** off ... it's working in internet explorer but not in firefox!

try pinging it? Also reset it to the factory setting.

I'm into the config now. Once I got it on the same range (why didn't I bother with a static ip?) and loaded it in IE (I just assumed something would load in firefox, but it turns out it just won't work in firefox full stop :/) I'm into the config.

I'm gonna work through http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=231 now and try adapt it to me.

Cheers for the help so far ... we'll see how this part goes.

Right. So I'm having some issues still.

I can get into and manage the AP when it's wired to the router. I can connect to the AP wlessly and connect to the web while it's wired to the router.

When I plug the cable outta the back of the AP the "link" LED at the front goes off, and it doesnt appear to be part of the network.

I've setup WDS on my router with the AP MAC in it. I've also setup the router MAC in wireless repeater mode on the AP.

Any suggestions?

I've just noticed this in the Linksys config - is it just to make you buy their stuff or is this type of thing sometimes manufacturer specific?

linksysonly.jpg.jpg

And looking through a lot of the firmware update info on the Linksys site it seems to suggest there's a lot of known issues with WPA not working either? I think I may bring this back.

Can anyone suggest one that's gonna work for me? I guess it would proberly be best to stick with 3Com? What about http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~104884~/3Com%20OfficeConnect%20Wireless%2054Mbps%20Access%20Point.htm ? Or could I get away with something cheaper?

Edit again: Linksys confirm on the phone it will only work with another Linksys device in repeater mode.

ciaranfo wrote:
    Edit again: Linksys confirm on the phone it will only work with another Linksys device in repeater mode.
    That is shit. I was under the impression that it would function in repeater mode with any standard wireless router. Bummer!

Wonder if there's a third party firmware available for it....

Yeah irlrobins - pain in the hole. Looking at getting http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~104884~/3Com%20OfficeConnect%20Wireless%2054Mbps%20Access%20Point.htm as I said above - looks like it will do the job, and the same brand - what do you reckon ?

• Advertisement

Says it will, but i'd see about downloading a manual for it and having a good read!

Advertisement