Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law subjects

Options
  • 18-08-2006 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭

So we have to pick subjects today for those doing law and business and I've finally got SIS working....

I just wondered what those who have done land law before reckon to it??

I'm not really that bothered about going into study law further after the degree course but would like to keep my options open...it's just i've heard a lot of bad things about land law.

Anyone give me any advice on it and law subjects in general??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well what year are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Goin into third and thats the only year that we can do it..so if i dont chose it now i will never do it....thats why i would like to know people's views on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

So you want to know about Land Law, well I don't do Law but I know someone who said it was a pain because there was so many precedents set by tradition, rulings etc.

I wonder if you could email the Law office and ask for some examples of Land law.Maybe you could go to the Library and look up some land law books just do a catalogue search.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Oh my God stay as far away as possible. I have the mispleasure of studying it again for the fe1s.

Who cares about feudal tenure, gaps in sessions or fee farm grants.

'To the use of A, to the use of B, to the use of C, with remainder to D in fee simple'

....DIE! Fúcking future interests.

P.s. worst lecturer evar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Sangre wrote:
    Oh my God stay as far away as possible. I have the mispleasure of studying it again for the fe1s.

Who cares about feudal tenure, gaps in sessions or fee farm grants.

'To the use of A, to the use of B, to the use of C, with remainder to D in fee simple'

....DIE! Fúcking future interests.

P.s. worst lecturer evar

Looks like I was spot on, so OP what do you think Land law or [insert subject here]?

• Advertisement

It is wrist-slitingly awful. Horrendous course content combined with the most inept lecturer around.

Steer clear.

Can you say who the lecturer was? It does sound failry boring alright i just dont want to miss out on the opportunity as next year we don't have the option to do it.

Cheers for the advice

Dr. A. Lyall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Not strictly on-topic but for the benefit of B&L students reading who had the SIS crash mess up their elective choices, rest assured that you WILL be guaranteed to have the prerequisite law background to enter into King's Inns or Blackhall Place.

Sangre wrote:
    Dr. A. Lyall

Ye he's down as our lecturer for this year, happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Larkin, Sangre is a very bitter man at the moment....he forgot to mention that the marks in Land are very very good!

Yes, Lyall may be the worst lecturer we've ever had and mumbles into his little goatee.....but in the end, you get a good result. I wouldn't avoid it like the plague and it keeps your options open

alright nice one (Mark is it?)

just seemed like everyone had a really negative view about it....i don't mind having to work hard (well thats my intention anyway) and if people tend to get good marks then all the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

I just finished Land law this year. I got 64 in it easily enough. I could've prepared better answers looking back as Lyall pretty much gave us the questions as he always does. It is the only course that will give you a history of Law and you will be at a huge disadvantage without it. Especially for Conveyancy. I worked in a Solicitors office this summer, and Land Law was the only academic stuff that I had to use through the entire expierence.

Also, it is now an option in fourth year. I know because I just registered for my courses in fourth year.

As for the registration thing. It was a mess. I won't post here what I heard went wrong as I only heard it from another student, but i know it relyable. It seems B&L was the trail run before they let the ARTS group onto the system. Not very much use to us though.

I'm still waiting for them to clear the mess so I can register for all my courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

No, students going into 3rd year cannot do Land law in 4th year now [apart from returning Erasmus students]

If you're never going to do law, don't do it. If you think there might be a chance you're better off doing it.

Although to be fair Lyall's land book is really good.

Does it have any practical application for somebody interested in a career in proprety development?

I would imagine yes, very much so. Basically you'll need to know if you can develop the land, what easements attach to it, what type of estate you can purchase or sell on, conveyancing of the title etc., Also if the developed property is going to be leased thats a whole other area of land law.

Land law/ planning and development law would be areas you should look into studying I'd say.

valor wrote:
    No, students going into 3rd year cannot do Land law in 4th year now [apart from returning Erasmus students]

That's this year only because Land Law was a mandatory subject for 3rd years in the system we had then. So they've already done it. That's why they're not allowed do it again!

Now with semesterisation, 3rd years will have alot more choices for 3rd year and can choose to leave land law until 4th year.

Are you sure? It says

Excluded :

Land Law I and Land Law II are not available to any Stage 4 BBLS student with the exception of returning Erasmus students.

No mention of it being just this year

Sangre wrote:
    I would imagine yes, very much so. Basically you'll need to know if you can develop the land, what easements attach to it, what type of estate you can purchase or sell on, conveyancing of the title etc., Also if the developed property is going to be leased thats a whole other area of land law.

Land law/ planning and development law would be areas you should look into studying I'd say.

Yeah thanks, im doing both this semester

• Advertisement

valor wrote:
    Are you sure? It says

Excluded :

Land Law I and Land Law II are not available to any Stage 4 BBLS student with the exception of returning Erasmus students.

No mention of it being just this year

Where are you reading that? It says it to me when I log into course registration, but i'm going into 4th, your going into 3rd right? Does it say it in your revised course discription since modularisation? One way to find out for sure is to call the law office. Painless really.

Bianca Cranny
    Email: bianca.cranny@ucd.ie
    Tel.: +353 1 7168769

Also, your able to do Planning and Development in 3rd year? That's only being offered to us this year for first time. Apparently most of these courses only opened to BBLS because of Modularisaation this year.

I'm probably going to regret not having done Employment Law in college. Seems to be an important one after.

It says that on our sis web where we choose our courses in the decription for land law

Yeah we can do P+D in 3rd year.

Not sure about employment law, why do you say that?

The thing about Land Law is it's a prerequisite for Entrance exams to Blackhall. They can't stop you doing it. If you really needed to, i'd say they'd try get you into it in fourth year, even if they aren't letting 4th B&L choose it. I suppose it was originally a 2nd year course so maybe they don't want you doing something supposedly that easy in your final year. But Bianca there will know and she's a nice girl, won't mind you asking at all.

They really have opened up things then if your able to do that in 3rd. You must have all the same options we do so.

Ah I only say that about Employment because while I was working over summer in a solicitors office is was one of the few things Clients kept asking me, and I really hadn't a clue. I remember this one man who rang the office to see if he could fire a new guy. Apparently this guy was so incompetent he was worried that the guy would kill himself, or someone else. He'd already had three misses in the space of a week. So I said about the 3months probation period, cos that's all I know. The two solicitors were out of the office. So this is a friday, and the man wanted to get rid of the guy that day and not have him next week. So he fired him on the strenght of what I said.... ah, so far so good. Not Sued.. YET..

Lots of people have questions on their own employment contracts aswell. It's handy to be able to answer them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Morgan Shelley

If you want to keep the option of King’s Inns open you have to take Land Law. It’s also an FE1 subject, so you may as well do it now rather than in a grind school.

It’s about as challenging as law gets, very historical and at times complicated. But in stretching you a bit it gives you a new perspective and legal skills worth having, and it’s far more interesting than something like Company Law where it’s just statute based.

That said, Lyall’s book’s excellent and the exam isn’t too hard.

I’d definitely do employment law as well; whether you want to go down the law route or the business direction it’ll be equally useful.

Whatever you do, don’t gamble on the Faculty bending the rules for you next year. They can be strict at times and the lectures may coincide with one of your final year subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I'd agree with most of what has been said already. The lectures are painful, his book is excellent and the exam is OK. I'd definitely recommend doing it to keep your options open and have an easy enough exam come Xmas/Summer in your locker.

Advertisement