Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re Paramedic Training

Options
  • 18-08-2006 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Said id try posting on boards as it's impossible to get a reply from the irish ambulance forum website! :confused:

Just wondering if there are any HSE lads/lassies out there with advice re: applying for Paramedic training. Supposedly advertising in Sept?

Have driving licences, voluntary experience etc. Any info or advice about training (if i'm successful :D ) would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

if you look at this link

http://www.nats.ie/index_files/programmes.htm

you can download an application form for its EMT- PARAMEDIC – New Entrant Stage 1 Programme

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

ya tazzer that's for private funded individuals, i'm planning to get a position as Paramedic new entrant with the HSE, and get them to pay for my NATS training! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It would do you no harm to have at least a provisional C class licence, and the theory test done, the HSE like all their EMT's to have that.

Also try to learn/know as much as you can about your local HSE, they have an aptitude test for most of those positions which includes questions on your HSE.

You'd firstly train as an EMT then after a certain amount of experience (couple of years I think) you can then train to be a paramedic.

You could also apply to the private ambulance services such as Medicall and Lifeline, both of them also take on trainee emt's and fund their training, but you do have to stay with them a certain length of time.

Paramedics only became allowed by law earlier this year.

nouggatti, direct entrants now train as paramedics, not emts. the emt grade as such is now gone. i already have my c and d licences. kinda hoping for replys from anybody currently employed as a paramedic with the HSE. im pretty well versed with the cuurent changes PHECC are implementing ie. register etc.

is the training now going to be longer in NATS for new entrants, considering that it is now Paramedic standard training?

thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sorry I was thinking of advanced paramedic, not paramedic.

My partner works in the HSE in Ambulance control, you might want to try this forum http://www.irishambulance.net/ambulance/forumdisplay.php?
    for more information on the new training etc.

• Advertisement

that's the whole reason im posting here, nobody replies on that forum! thanks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

I'm not an EMT or anything, yet, but am going down that road myself and am in one of the vols. Anyway are you lookin for help on how to apply or what the process is or what? Let me know and I can find out cos I know one or two people in ERAS. Anyway as for the course, as far as I understand, the EMT grade is now going to be Paramedic-B. This is simply a name change and not a change in standard or level of training and as such will require no more training than has been undertaken by people entering as an EMT. The only advancement is the Paramedic-A grade which you can undertake later.

I'm open to correction but as far as I understand that's the way it is.

it has changed, visit PHECC website and download the syllabus for Paramedic training, it involves LMA insertion, ECG and IV access etc.

i want to hear from someone who is currently a Paramedic/EMT-B with the HSE,with advice on the training in NATS.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Cool,
    I am a serving paramedic with the HSE. List your questions & I'll answer them or else pm me. In relation to non answering on the Irishambulance.net site, I have been on that site along with the older version for the last 8yrs and all questions inrelation to new entrants etc have always being answered by at least myself aswell as other members. Anyway, let me know which info you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Hey folks, im hoping to go down this road aswell in the next couple of years, need to get my liscences in order and have to wait until im 21 to get my D liscence so thats a set-back! Im currently in a Vol aswell, just out of curiosity if you get a place on the course you have Provisional Liscences or do u need full ones? cheers

• Advertisement

hey buzzman...basically just wanna know if the NATS training for paramedic new entrants will involve the extra skills (IV access, LMA etc.) from the outset?

also, has the upskilling of paramedics started, are people heading to NATS to learn the new skills applicable to the paramedic grade (not the AP grade)?

thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

U need to have ur full licences by the time of the PHECC exams if i recall correctly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

ScubaDave wrote:
    U need to have ur full licences by the time of the PHECC exams if i recall correctly!

Ah cheers man! i was thinking this would be the case.

Best of luck with it mate! ALOT of my mates are in the job, and its one hell of a career!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sara025

Hi,

So I had always relied on getting EMT qualified through the fire brigade when I joined, but failed to pass their eyesight requirements unfortunatly.
    :mad:

Now trying to save enough money to pay for the EMT course I've been reading this discussion to learn that you can be sponsored to do it through a service you work/volunteer for already...

Currently I'm studying for a diploma in Anatomy & Physiology (incl. 3 year first aid cert.) and will have that completed in June...In the meantime I want to volunteer with a service that will give me basic experience etc.

I have just moved to Newbridge in Kildare, does anybody have any advice on where I could apply for voluntary work here...or nearby?

And any other advice to give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ;)

it would be cheaper for you to pay for laser surgery (arond €3k) and reapply for the brigade rather than go the private route (approx €3.5k tuition + accommodation in dub + support yourself for the training)...unless you're being sponsored by a company (Medicall/Lifeline etc.)

Army Medical Corps is another option, they send recruits to NATS for EMT (now Paramedic) training.

def try to get some volunteer experience...i'd say in kildare the Irish Red Cross or the Order of Malta are your best bets. PM me your email address and I'll pass it on to IRC officer in Kildare (I'm in Cork Red Cross). They will be training up to EMT level as from this year more than likely, but this will still be one step below the Statutory Ambulance Service Paramedic Grade.

Also get cracking on your driving licences, you'll need full c1 and d1!

Any other advice you need just drop me a line...looks like I might be going to the UK myself to undertake Technician/Paramedic training, sick of waiting for the Irish service!

UK aint much quicker!

well at least some of the NHS Ambulance Trusts are recruiting! and buddy of mine is qualified technician for just over a year in the UK, and is starting his paramedic training...thats way quicker than the 3 years service needed in the HSE before applying for AP training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 babs-1

hi, sorry to drag up and old thread but its been a year since this one was started and im wondering how ye got on with the training? did you get in? how often is HSE recruitment? Would love to do this eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd be interested to know as well since I'm considering this career myself although all the routes for getting into training etc are a bit confusing lol. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

AFAIK the national ambulance training school is no longer accepting private individuals. So, the only way to get to EMT/Paramedic in Ireland is to go via a sponsor. The HSE offered trainee positions a few months back but that's past now. The private companies I have been in contact with are not recruiting.

It looks as if you'll have to go abroad to do it now unless you want to be a firefighter and join the DFB :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from Work/Jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

Hi all Im not sure if im reactivating this post and if it is frowned upon?

I am trying to get info on the EMT course, basically the one which will be replacing the EMFR programs.
    I would like to join a professional ambulance service (private service at the moment, maybe Medicall in Cork) and work my way into the HSE service that way.
    I am a trained nurse and a CFR with a voluntary organisation

Trying to get info from NATS or Dublin Fire brigade is impossible (i have emailed and rung them on numerous occasions). I would swear it is a well kept secret!
    I have friends in the service and one who is starting the paramedic training in Feb, but they dont know anything about it.
    Please help, either through your own experience or who to contact via phone or email who is willing to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scott22

The new emt course is currently only open to employees of the private ambulance companys and the defence forces. Its 4 weeks in the NATC, a week of placements (ccu/icu, A&E, 2 days on an emergency ambulance and 1 day on an non-emergency ambulance) There are two courses running at present, and they are awaiting phecc exams in mid Feb. As one of the 47 'students' on the course I can tell you that it is very difficult but very interesting. As to when it will be opened up to the public, I dont know.

Scott22, if you dont mind me asking, are you in the defence forces or working for a private service?
    I am looking into applying for a position with one of the private services as i am also looking for a career change! Office work is not me.

I work for Lifeline ambulance service. Its certainly worth giving it a try, you should contact lifeline as they are often looking for new staff. You will find contact details on our web site. The min' level requirment for working within the private ambulance companys will shortly be EMT which means its a great time to be joining, as the companys will be required to train all new and present staff to this standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BatDub

Are you saying that the current staff in lifeline aren't TRAINED?? i must of misunderstood you!

The staff are trained to emergency first responder level which is currently the min' level required. Phecc now want all private ambulance service staff trained to EMT level, this is taking place at present. Any of the private's offering frontline service, will also have Paramedics on their books.

• Advertisement

As the EMFR programmes are being closed in the Vols (i know OMAC anyway) i wont have the opportunity to get my qualification in this. I wonder would they take nurse training and CFR (I am trained up to EMFR level but have not been able to take the exam) into regard for employment?

Advertisement