Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re Paramedic Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

As the EMFR programmes are being closed in the Vols (i know OMAC anyway) i wont have the opportunity to get my qualification in this. I wonder would they take nurse training and CFR (I am trained up to EMFR level but have not been able to take the exam) into regard for employment?

With OMAC it's just until they get training institute recognition from PHECC, it should start up again with a similar syllabus after that. How long...that is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scott22

I would certainly think, that would all be taken into account. The last batch of new staff were hired and put straight onto the EMT coarse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

Im going to give it a go.
    Medicall (I live in Cork) are recruiting in March according to an email i got from them. So i have a small while to get my act together.
    I have also asked for info from the new and improved NATS website. I will keep ye posted on developments from that end, i will see if they email the info, as promised, in the 5 working days:rolleyes:

Elessar wrote: »
    With OMAC it's just until they get training institute recognition from PHECC, it should start up again with a similar syllabus after that. How long...that is the question.

How long is a piece of string! :D

Medicall (I live in Cork) are recruiting in March according to an email i got from them. So i have a small while to get my act together.
    I have also asked for info from the new and improved NATS website. I will keep ye posted on developments from that end, i will see if they email the info, as promised, in the 5 working days:rolleyes:

Best of luck with it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

FYI, alot of the nats training is moving to ballinasole very soon.

timmywex wrote: »
    FYI, alot of the nats training is moving to ballinasole very soon.

A friend of mine is on the first class on the recent panel, starting in March (date was mid Feb a few weeks ago, they seem to be moving the dates forward!) Her class will be in Ballinasloe, first one to do that.
    She was contacted by NATS to inform her that when she qualifies in 2 years that she and her class will be all placed in Cavan / Monaghan HSE area for 2 years. They then gave an option to cancel her place on the course (needless to say she didnt!)

I have applied for the NATS EMFR course (5 days in NATS - €750) the dates have yet to be given. Expensive but worth it!
    The minute i finish i am going to apply for one of the privates, probably Medicall, seem to be the biggest in Cork.

The first class are starting March 10th in Ballinasloe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 medic5

Hi Guys,
    I had a read of all the posts, I was trying to any medical course privately and was not having much luck. I googled ambulancetraining last week and found a private company doing pre hospital training in Galway. I am doing an Emergency Medical Technician course with them next month.
    http://ambulancetraining.webs.com

I can keep people posted on my progress if anyone would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

How did the course go for ya, any feedback welcome

• Advertisement

Course went fine, few teething problems as we were their first class. The only problem is exams are in 5 weeks, and I finished 4 weeks ago, kinda rusty already. Said they would bring us back for a week before the exams. BUT there will be two other classes with us, so that's 24 people getting ready together. They have 3 tutors so I'm not sure how that will work! I'll let you know how exams go. Only did two days on ambulance(privates), but the three days in hospital placements were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moverandshaker

can anyone tell me how 2 become a paramedic???

thanks in advance ;)

The only way you can do the Paramedic course is by being nominated by the HSE. This means you have to be successful at interview, they give you you a two year temporary contact and if you pass the course you get the job, if not, well don't burn your bridges with your currently employer :)
    You will also need a full D1 and C1 licence to be eligible for an interview.
    I've heard the next round of interviews might be in January. Keep an eye on the net and Sunday Newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

hi medic5, u need a c1 AND a D1 licence? why is that? I thought the ambulance is under the c1? aint trucks/lorries d1? i always wondered about a career in the ambulance service. where you at in your career progression? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pyro940

D1 is a Minibus Licence based on 16 passengers plus driver,
    C1 is vehicles </= 7500 kg with seating for </= 8 people and driver (small truck or modern emergency ambulance.

Patient transport vs Emergency ambulance

You need a D1 licence, because some of the older ambulances can carry over 8 people, two stretchers sitting 4 people each, plus the "nurses" seat, plus front passenger seat, plus driver, total 11.
    Then for the C1 licence, because the new HSE ambulances have a ramp on the back of them, it puts them over the weight a B licence can carry.
    Hope this is of use to you. I did my EMT exams this week, with a Galway Ambulance training school, I had no resits, and think MCQ went well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

ah i see, thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it. hope all goes well for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

medic5 wrote: »
    The only way you can do the Paramedic course is by being nominated by the HSE. This means you have to be successful at interview, they give you you a two year temporary contact and if you pass the course you get the job, if not, well don't burn your bridges with your currently employer :)

Where do you get your info from?????.

Friend of mine on the first course. There was a student who did not get through the first exams, so they got a resit, they were unsuccessful on the second attempt, and they were let go from HSE, thus the temporary contract.
    My friend is starting as a second person after Christmas (if exams go well) and told me they will be on probation for a year?
    If I'm wrong, my apologies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Probation for 12 months is correct.

• Advertisement

Got the EMT exams :):):):) 15 out of 16 of us passed!
    Thrilled :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Dermwex

medic5 wrote: »
    Got the EMT exams :):):):) 15 out of 16 of us passed!
    Thrilled :)

Congrats Medic5!!!! Was just wondering was the course hard? Have you any advice to someone doin the course? I'm starting in January and am nervous coz this is a complete career change for me! Any info would be great. Thank you!

Hi there, best of luck with the course. It's not a bad course. We (16) of us had the EFR course done with the IATI already, so we had a rough idea what we were getting into. You will enjoy the class, loads on hands on practical work. Only fault with the course is the timetable you get, is never in date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Dermwex

Thats reassuring! I'm doing the efr course with them aswell so like you say it'll help a great deal! Where are ya hopin to get employment? I doubt there should any bother finding a job in this career! How much placement do we actually have to do? Do we sort that ourselves??

Hope to start with one of the privates (don't want to advertise here). The IATI sort everything with the placements, we got a three days in hospital and two on a private ambulance (best part of the course :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

fair play to ya medic5, what were the MCQ and Skill sets like. what kind of questions do they ask. im hoping to have enuf money saved by the summer to do the EMT course down there. Got my C license on the 30th, just got to wait a few months till im 21 to get cracking on the d license. then pray they will be recuiting!

The MCQ's were grand. We had done a few hundred in the school before the exams. They covered about 90% of the questions that came up on the paper. We just did loads of MCQ's before the PHECC exam, and the tutors went through the answers with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Hey all can anyone help me??? Can anyone tell me how much the privates pay if you join them as a qualifyed EMT???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

From what I've heard, of the two biggest, one pays roughly 500 p/w and the other 2k/month, roughly. Based on 40 hr weeks. There is often overtime aswell. Only what I've heard though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Many thanks for that info!!!!:)

Advertisement