Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re Paramedic Training

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Hello

Can anyone give some advice to someone completely new to this career and the steps needed.

I understand the C&D license and the need for H B vaccination.

Is the first step recommended to be applying for the EMT or should other training be required before hand and if so which?
    Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

keryl wrote: »
    Hello

Can anyone give some advice to someone completely new to this career and the steps needed.

I understand the C&D license and the need for H B vaccination.

Is the first step recommended to be applying for the EMT or should other training be required before hand and if so which?
    Thank You

There is no harm doing the EMT if you want. There is no harm in doing any related course or getting any related certificate as these things will show you have an interest when it comes to interview.

In saying that people with no previous background in anything ambulance related get in to the service with every recruitment phase.

But having some extra courses on your belt would be a good talking point in the interview. They can only be beneficial to you.

I would recommend, if you have not already, become involved with one of the voluntary ambulance services to give you a taste of patient care and interaction on a level that isn't life-or-death. It can be very beneficial from both a personal and professional point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I'm sure this question has been asked already but i just cant find it so here goes,

Does anyone know for certain to what level a NATS trained paramedic can teach first aid to a voluntary org without undertaking further training, say for example to civil defence members. I'm told its somewhere between CFR and FR, depending on who you ask.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

wexfjord wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has been asked already but i just cant find it so here goes,

Does anyone know for certain to what level a NATS trained paramedic can teach first aid to a voluntary org without undertaking further training, say for example to civil defence members. I'm told its somewhere between CFR and FR, depending on who you ask.

Cheers.

Better off asking over @ irishambulance.net

it's much more focused towards our ambulance services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Cheers.

AFAIK they still have to qualify as a "Tutor" by PHECC. I know in OMAC a PHECC registered EMT is not able to teach unless they have qualified as an Instructor in OMAC. A EMT who is also an OMAC Instructor is qualified to teach EFR in OMAC.

Somebody can be an EMT or Paramedic and be very good at it but they might not be very good at instructing. Its a different type of training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Cheers.

NATS is gone. Its now NASC:) (National Ambulance Service College)

Any PHECC registered practitioner may become an assistant tutor or a full tutor. Its a four week course run by PHECC every year in two blocks. That allows you to instruct up to your grade, I.E emt-b / emt-p

You still must do CFR instructor seperatly. (about €1000, crazy money)

It can depend on what you want to teach. OFA is now run by a private company that took over from NASC last year so to be an instructor you must make out your own powerpoint slides and apply to them for an exam. You them present two areas and hopefully you pass. The fee I think is €700 or so.

If your and EMT you can do a 4-5 day teaching skills course thats PHECC approved and this will allow you to be an EFR instructor.

Then comes the hard part!!! You must acredit yourself to a training centre or set one up yourself and apply to PHECC to have it recoginsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

@wexfjord - Get the Paramedic to join the voluntary organisation and it will cost the Paramedic nothing to get qualified to teach CFR or OFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Thanks to everybody for the info. Bit of a minefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skippyob

hi all.
    i am an 18 year old student doing my leaving cert and was interested in pesueing paramedic as a career. i know that there is a course in ucd but that is the only way i know of going about it. i am wondering if there are any others??

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

skippyob wrote: »
    hi all.
    i am an 18 year old student doing my leaving cert and was interested in pesueing paramedic as a career. i know that there is a course in ucd but that is the only way i know of going about it. i am wondering if there are any others??
    The only way to become a paramedic in this country is through the HSE at the moment. To apply for the job you will have to be at least 21 as you need to have a full D1. But in the mean time why not join a voluntary organisation such as The Red Cross, Saint John's etc these will give you a real insight to the job and lots of hands on experience.
    As for college why not do nursing or some other medically based course while you're waiting
    Also read the rest of the posts these will be able to give you more info and ideas.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement