Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Opel Manta thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barryi200

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

barryi200 wrote:
    and i love this one

20040529_0498.jpg
    Deadly shot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

now here we go again. herselfs not too happy:p
    another manta has found its way to me, couldent resist buying it , with only one owner from new and only 35000 miles on it.

locked up iun a garage since 1998 and taken out to get a run now and again.
    its in near perfect condition, but will need a set of brake shoes and new fuel lines,

never had a hatchback manta, so i reckon its time .
    have to get it trailered home at weekend . so i will have picture and no sound from herself for a while :D:D:D:D:D:D

jaysus this manta thread is getting big

long live the manta:) :)

Now that does look tidy - what model is it?

• Advertisement

atlantean wrote:
    Now that does look tidy - what model is it?

87, 2.0 litre coupe .

shed number two nearly completed ;););)

Has anyone any idea as to how many Mantas are here in Ireland?

They seem to making their way over from the UK in their droves. I heard of a transporter coming over a few weeks ago with 8 cars on it 6 of which were Mantas!

It would be interesting to get some sort of register together! number of A's B's CC's etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Great looking hatchback Manta Mad!! Quite a find!

Interesting story atlantean?! ....It would seem that a lot of Mantas are making their way to Ireland......and quite a few of them to Manta Mads yard by the looks of it :D

Well you won't find me hoarding them - I don't have the space! :(

• Advertisement

rrv8 wrote:
    How about this little baby to play with
    Don't let Manta Mad see it :D

no i think id better leave that where it is, let herself cool down a bit:rolleyes:
    she thinks i have to many,but its better than leavin it down the pub , or in her case shoes,dresses, hair dos,make up,ect, ect,:p

no i think its time to look at getting an i200 or building a replica.
    watch this space:D :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

in a car park in Galway, earlier this year.............

110164644-M.jpg

110164720-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oce2

mantaraver wrote:
    Brakes : 16v front discs with volvo 4 pot calipers, rear disc conversion

16v front discs from calibra?

volvo 4 pot calipers from volvo 240 series????

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dtm

yes from a calibra but these discs need special machined spacers as well to work correctly. Another bad side to this set up is that the volvo calipers will not fit behind the standard robal 14" gt/e alloy.

I have vauxhall carlton 2.2i 1983 vented disks and calibra ATE 16v calipers on mine and these fit behind the standard alloy. Having said this though the volvo caliper is much better for stopping power!

carlton discs and calibra calipers are still brilliant though for fast road use.

If you wanted to push the boat out (rally use) you could fit a set of zafira disks and calipers to the rear axle for jaw dropping performance!

dtm wrote:
    carlton discs and calibra calipers are still brilliant though for fast road use.

If you wanted to push the boat out (rally use) you could fit a set of zafira disks and calipers to the rear axle for jaw dropping performance!
    something I will be looking into in the future - I can wait as there is only 500 miles on the front pads and discs on mine at the moment. Changing the rear to discs is also something I have on the back burner ;)

if you go the whole hog though (and even with just volvo four pots up the front) remember that the origional ATE master cylinder will not be able to provide the required amount of brake fluid and the brake pedal movement will be vast for good braking. Here you would have to upgrade the master cylinder.

I replaced the seals in my original master cylinder and this works fine for standard rear drums and calibra 16v calipers up the front!

If you want to redtop the manta however (especially putting in twin 40's along with it) you would have to change the master cylinder to a VW polo one as it takes up less space and does not foul the new intake manifold!

aside from this point i know of approx 6 raod worthy mantas up here in galway so between all of ireland there would be alot! Down in cork direction there are alot i know for sure.

And i know of one house in limerick that has four mint rally mantas in a garage out the back!

Theres loads of them around its just that they dont see road.........

Keep up the good thread lads!

dtm wrote:
    aside from this point i know of approx 6 raod worthy mantas up here in galway so between all of ireland there would be alot! Down in cork direction there are alot i know for sure.

And i know of one house in limerick that has four mint rally mantas in a garage out the back!

Theres loads of them around its just that they dont see road.........

Keep up the good thread lads!
    There are quite a few Mantas around but as you say, many hide away!

I have just been elected area rep for the south of Ireland for the Opel Manta Owners Club. I hope to build up the club over here and organise a couple of meets etc. It would be great to get these Mantas out on the road and show them off.

There are a couple of members from England a Wales considering coming over for the Circuit of Ireland Rally next Easter - one is even considering entering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

atlantean wrote:

I have just been elected area rep for the south of Ireland for the Opel Manta Owners Club. I hope to build up the club over here and organise a couple of meets etc. It would be great to get these Mantas out on the road and show them off.

Mantas only or can any RWD Opel come out to play?

Blue850 wrote:
    Mantas only or can any RWD Opel come out to play?
    RWD + Opel = Welcome :)

What you got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oce2

dtm wrote:
    yes from a calibra but these discs need special machined spacers as well to work correctly. Another bad side to this set up is that the volvo calipers will not fit behind the standard robal 14" gt/e alloy.

I have vauxhall carlton 2.2i 1983 vented disks and calibra ATE 16v calipers on mine and these fit behind the standard alloy. Having said this though the volvo caliper is much better for stopping power!

I use OZ 15'' alloy , no problem

volvo calipers with carlton discs I need special machined spacers???

set of zafira disks and calipers to the rear axle, What zafira model? all models are the same?

dtm wrote:
    if you go the whole hog though (and even with just volvo four pots up the front) remember that the origional ATE master cylinder will not be able to provide the required amount of brake fluid and the brake pedal movement will be vast for good braking. Here you would have to upgrade the master cylinder.

I replaced the seals in my original master cylinder and this works fine for standard rear drums and calibra 16v calipers up the front!

If you want to redtop the manta however (especially putting in twin 40's along with it) you would have to change the master cylinder to a VW polo one as it takes up less space and does not foul the new intake manifold!

I don't have problem with a space for master cylinder with red top because is a france manta with left steering wheel

What master cylinder is good for power brake in manta??? :D

thanks to respond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

atlantean wrote:
    RWD + Opel = Welcome :)

What you got?

Brother has a Kadett Rallye

oce2 wrote:

volvo calipers with carlton discs I need special machined spacers???

ok your mixing up setups here

the options are:
    1.carlton discs and calibra 16v calipers
    2.calibra 16v discs and spacers and 16v calipers
    3.volvo calipers - im not sure what discs go with these.

Hope this helps
    dtm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

A pity I don't have images for the Manta I had.
    Going back 13 years, I had one of them and converted to T-Bar by cutting the roof off. Added electric windows, change the carburetor system to injection, etc. Was a beauty.

I was looking to get another one next year and try to do the same thing with it.

louie wrote:
    Going back 13 years, I had one of them and converted to T-Bar by cutting the roof off. Added electric windows, change the carburetor system to injection, etc. Was a beauty.

I was looking to get another one next year and try to do the same thing with it.

what :eek: :eek: :eek:
    thats blasphamasy that is:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

you talking 13 years ago man. Then was something.

louie wrote:
    Sounds deadly - did you sell it? Do you thnk it may still be on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i saw an Opel Coupe yesterday....might be GT could be a Kadett but obviously a sporty one...for sale next to the road from Bandon to Enniskeane a bit crusty but then again i didnt look too close as I would get black balled from all the Ford Clubs if I got caught

corktina wrote:
    i saw an Opel Coupe yesterday....might be GT could be a Kadett but obviously a sporty one...for sale next to the road from Bandon to Enniskeane a bit crusty but then again i didnt look too close as I would get black balled from all the Ford Clubs if I got caught

go on corktina you know you want to :rolleyes:
    get your self an opel.

see a nice green cortina for sale on carzone ,you making a bit of room in your yard ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

opel? oh dear me no........:eek:

half heartedly selling..Im not sure I'll be able to when push comes to shove...that car is one fast Mother.....:)

Advertisement