Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Day Has Arrived at Last :D

Options
  • 18-08-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Yes indeed it has :D .... Local Exchange in Cill Chiarain has been upgraded as of Yesterday and im on an amber line :)
    Now the question is do i get my connection with Eircom until such time as any bugs have been ironed out on the connection or do i go straight to my prefered supplier?

Digiweb have confirmed they need to test my line. Meaning at least 2 weeks delay before they will have the line confirmed as good to go!!

Eircom Says i can get it subject to confirmation. What could they mean? They have told me that im not on a carrier line so what else could they be "confirming"?

BT says yes no problem but no more than their 1 Meg service as its an amber line!!

Decisions Decisions :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Congrats. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Ruu wrote:
    Congrats. :)
    Have to say i have put the bubbly to one side until i get an actual working stable connection here :) but this is a step closer to the end goal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom Says i can get it subject to confirmation. What could they mean? They have told me that im not on a carrier line so what else could they be "confirming"?

Eircom & Digiweb is same line test. It is Eircom line. It would only be slightly faster (a day or two guessing) going with Eircom.

Go with who ever would be best for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

a year ... 6 months is the minimum contract with eircom

gordonnet wrote:
    a year ... 6 months is the minimum contract with eircom

Yes and a UPLOAD limit of 1 Gig a month ......where you will have to pay 1 cent per meg after regardless of how much of the 10 Gig download allowance has been used.
    Could be a nasty surprise for users of P2P at the end of the month

• Advertisement

I was think of a year as a time to caluclate annual savings rather than contract length. Given awkwardness of changing supplier and potenetial down time, basically you want to stay with a supplier unless you move, they dissapear or don't work any more or become MADLY more expensive.

total buggery buggery :mad:
    Last Sunday night i have a amber line which i can order broadband on ..... unable to order yesterday due to unexpected events!! but none as unexpected as the event this morning when i rang to place order ....

ME: I want to place an order for BB with you.

REP: "Sir your line is showing here as red ...we are unable to supply you with our broad band service"

ME: eh have you got my correct phone number ..its 09XXXXXX

REP: Yes sir thats the one ...its showing as red.

ME: ok will check with Eircom to see whats up!!

Quick Call to Eircom ....

ME: Can you tell me why my line is showing as red for Broadband today and it was amber sunday?

Eircom: Yes ..its red because its a carrier line.

ME: If its a carrier line why did it show as Amber last week and at the weekend?

Eircom: Its showing as Red here...its a carrier line

ME Why has it changed?

Eircom: I cant tell you that sir.

Me: Will it be possible to chage my line to a non-carrier like?

Eircom: We are only obliged to supply voice service not a broadband service and you cant get broadband when your on a carrier line.

ME: but could you use some of the free capicity in the exchange to take me off a carrier line?

Eircom: We will have to see whats availible in a few months time.

ME: yeah right ...hangs up

So there you have it folks .....im back on Dialup again full time ..sick as a parrot
    Has anyone else here had a similar experience ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'm surprised you asked and equally surprised you are surprised.

Someone possibly nipped in and ordered ahead of you so you got whacked onto their pairgain .

What dialup speeds did you use to get again and have they dropped by any chance, pairgains in the west tend to give 12k or 16.8k or 28.8k depending ???

they may even have pairgained you in order that they could get BB into the exchange over the smidge of copper they DO have or they may have nicked your pair to power a fibre box of some sort in order to get backhaul in.

Basically its any excuse not to run copper and any excuse not to give a ****.

Do email Phils office and get this escalated as fast as possible.

Or the expensive route is to order ISDN...

pairgain goes.

Then after it is in, order ADSL. They then remove the ISDN as unlike Germany they don't supply DSL over ISDN.

Though they offered me ISDN but after 2 months nothing was happening..
    "Well sir we have no space left in the exchange for ISDN".

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Altreab wrote:
    Has anyone else here had a similar experience ??

something very similar happened to me, (got amber, ordered DSL from BT, order stalled, called BT, was told line was red, checked, it was now red).

I did not bother to call Eircom, I expected the sort of conversation you described.

I'm looking at other solutions & looking forward to a day when I pay no line rental to Eircom.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I'm surprised you asked and equally surprised you are surprised.

Someone possibly nipped in and ordered ahead of you so you got whacked onto their pairgain .

What dialup speeds did you use to get again and have they dropped by any chance, pairgains in the west tend to give 12k or 16.8k or 28.8k depending ???

they may even have pairgained you in order that they could get BB into the exchange over the smidge of copper they DO have or they may have nicked your pair to power a fibre box of some sort in order to get backhaul in.

Basically its any excuse not to run copper and any excuse not to give a ****.

Do email Phils office and get this escalated as fast as possible.

Im more pi$$ed off than surprised really. Present speeds vary from 28.9 to 32.1K used to be 42K about 2 years ago.
    The back haul they are using to the exchange is by radio link installed on Wednesday. Waiting for this link delayed the exchange going live at end of June as was planned orginally.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How about ordering ISDN, and a week or so before the install date, keep an eye on dialup speeds. Once you notice speeds jump from 32k up to around 42k, ring and cancel the installation. They have to remove the DACS for ISDN to work.

Not fully sure if this'll work or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it used to work great but their enthusiasm for ISDN has waned along with their serviceable copper .

Advertisement