Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband with Eircom modem

• 18-08-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've a bit of a head-scratcher, perhaps someone here can shed some light on the subject:

My mother has had BT broadband for over a year now, and just the other day, it stopped working with the (Eircom) Netopia modem I gave her. (I had a spare modem/router from when Eircom ballsed up my order and sent me a non-wireless router and a wireless one).

As soon as I put back the original Zyxel usb/ethernet modem it worked fine (but only 1 machine is connected, whereas before there were 3 machines using the router).

So, any ideas as to how the Netopia stopped working? (The username and password were the same in both machines, as were the vpi/vci settings etc.)

Could something have happened at the BT end that would involve them rejecting non-BT supplied modems?

I know I could still get the routing working by fiddling with the netopia to just act as a router, and connect the Zyxel to it, but I'd rather have just one box on the desk, and minimise the number of cables running all over the place.

Incidently, I couldn't access the Zyxel's http configuration interface(192.168.1.1 on it kept timing out in the browser), but I could telnet into it just fine.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this in the last few days, and does anyone have any theories as to what's happened?

I'll ring BT support (*shudders at the thought*) tomorrow and see if they can help, but I thought I'd turn to here first!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

My netopia modem is working via BT.

You could try resetting the router and inputting your username as (whatever)@btbb or (whatever)@iolbb
    and your password and see if it connects then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Yakuza wrote:
    Could something have happened at the BT end that would involve them rejecting non-BT supplied modems?
    No.

If the netopia is not working properly and the zyxel, it's a problem with the netopia, not with the network.

If Sparky-s advice doesn't help, see if there's a firmware upgrade on the Netopia site.

Don't waste your time (or theirs) by ringing BT Support - it's really not their problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

/bump
    It's sorted - it was a password issue (the password my mother gave me was the one for the BT website (to manage her account etc, and not the one to login)), so all hunky-dory for now. I'm still wondering as to how the netopia got set back to it's Eircom settings (i.e. eircom/broadband1 as user name / password - no one at home would know about the reset switch) but I'm glad it's back now.

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement