Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies, Its The Great Beard Debate (2006)

• 19-08-2006 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'm thinking of growing one, in fact I haven't shaved in nearly four weeks, so I kind of have one, buts very unkempt still.

I'm interested in getting a consensus on the best possible beard formation. Ladies, this is your chance to have a say in the future of facial hair.

How do you like to be tickled? 67 votes

Beards? Totally, loike, gross!
    0% 0 votes
    A Goatee, makes a man look more evil.
    37% 25 votes
    Beards are fine, but only when nice and neat.
    11% 8 votes
    I love Ronnie Drew.
    50% 34 votes

Comments

beards are usually good. show us yer pic first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Beards ftw! This is me, in all my beardy glory. Just took that pic about 2 hours ago. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

bluewolf wrote:
    beards are usually good. show us yer pic first.

I want an unbiased opinion first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I was in a similar situation but just shaved! Kinda regret it. You really need some form of beard trimmer to keep it in someway neat. I just looked homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You should really ask your girlfriend.

For one thing they are harsh on the skin when kissing.

For another they are quite exfoliating when you are downtown.

For another they collect food particles and bacteria.

If she doesnt mind these things then why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I knew it, beards are back in fcuking fashion. I was growing mine for about 2 weeks from Friday 3 weeks back until I shaved most of it off last Saturday, leaving just the goatee. Half my workplace have grown a bit, and I was out Monday Id say 10% of lads were forming one. It was severely itchy after about 10 days but my skin seems to have got used to it.

Of course, theyre all copying me, being the trend setter and all. Currently rockin the goatee and its the dogs bollix. Sh1t, I havent even been ID`d in town since I left the goatee on.

And aye, women appreciate them generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

What about the 5o'clock shadow?

Thanks metrovelvet, but of course, If I had a gf, I probably wouldn't need to bother After Hours patrons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Beards ftw! This is me, in all my beardy glory. Just took that pic about 2 hours ago.

Thats a good beard. But it depends on the person tbh. Although I do like goatees..alot;)

Doomspell wrote:
    Thats a good beard. But it depends on the person tbh.

Why thank you! I like it a lot. It keeps my face warm, and it's oh so nice to stroke.

• Advertisement

Your welcome. But remember there's nothing worse than a corse beard. It's horrible when your kissing a bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

You should really ask your girlfriend.

For one thing they are harsh on the skin when kissing.

For another they are quite exfoliating when you are downtown.

For another they collect food particles and bacteria.

If she doesnt mind these things then why not?

Beards are filthy and I have always believed that lazy men grow them (sorry)

i'll never touch a bearded man :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭haunted-room

TheGooner wrote:

i'll never touch a bearded man :o

ha ha!! thats why i had one before. lazyness!

TheGooner wrote:

I'm sorry, but there's nothing filthy about beards! I shampoo my beard the same time as my hair when I'm having a shower. So if you know someone who does have a filthy beard, then honestly, I'd be more worried about their overall personal hygene.

And there are a lot more reasons why someone would grow a beard than simply being lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Weekly shave ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yeah, personally I dont like them. Ever since someone pointed them out to me as pussy envy I cant look at a bearded mans face the same way again. Especially Gerry Adams'.

Yeah, personally I dont like them. Ever since someone pointed them out to me as pussy envy I cant look at a bearded mans face the same way again. Especially Gerry Adams'.

Beards = Pussy Envy? :rolleyes:

Christ, there's some seriously idiotic pop-psychologists out there, isn't there?

I mean, do you really think I want a vagina for a chin!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Got rid of my beard a long time ago, perhaps its time to let it grow again. *rubs clean-shaven chin*

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

I had a soul patch for about a year and I started growing it up to my sideburns in the last few weeks and i seem to be getting more looks from women (or so I can see!) and people have been complimentin me on it! I like it too!

Basically- BEARDS ARE GREAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Well maintained and it is sexy.
    But those who let stubble grow in all around it? Yuck!

Soul patch = way sexay.

• Advertisement

After seeing Karl and Caco's beards...definate yes for me;)

Oooh, my facial hair is appreciated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Yay! Mine too! See, I told ya it gets ya attention!!

Caco wrote:
    Yay! Mine too! See, I told ya it gets ya attention!!

Yes indeed! I think it's conclusive, beards rule! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Provided you have the required manliness to grow one. :D Also if your hair is blond it takes ages before it looks right. I had a goatee/ tash combo a couple of times. Had to get rid of it. Kept stroking it when I was in the pub and people kept telling me I looked like I was deep in thought, even though I was only contemplating what type of peanuts to buy:D

il gatto wrote:
    Provided you have the required manliness to grow one. :D Also if your hair is blond it takes ages before it looks right. I had a goatee/ tash combo a couple of times. Had to get rid of it. Kept stroking it when I was in the pub and people kept telling me I looked like I was deep in thought, even though I was only contemplating what type of peanuts to buy:D

Which type of peanuts is a deep question and deserves due care and beard stroking, especially if you open the door to bacon and scampi fries.

I spend a good third of the day stroking my beard now, its absent minded thing rather than a deep thought thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I haven't got a bear, but I have stubble, I haven't had a wet shave in about 2/3 years, it's so much better, my skin used to be really sensitive to wet shaves, now I just use a hair trimmer and just trim the stubble when it gets too long, I don't trim it so I'm clean shaven smooth, have had stubble for the whole time. This is me with pretty much both before and after I shave. No problem at all and sensitive skin is no problem any more:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I hate beards. I have yet to see one on a man that suits him

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Brian Blessed.

Seriously though, no one's mentioned the real reason for 80% of goatees: to mask surplus chins. No facial hair modelled by David Brent should be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oshi

I love beards on men.....but for some reason I don't like it when the guys hair is long too, its all a bit too much then!

Have you not clicked any of the picture links??
    But I see your point. Some men need gaotees some beards and some stubble, it just depends of the person in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Doomspell wrote:
    Have you not clicked any of the picture links??
    But I see your point. Some men need gaotees some beards and some stubble, it just depends of the person in question.

I've clicked on them all!

You know, I keep saying to myself that one day I'm just going to let it grow so I can have a big long viking beard, but I always end up trimming it every other week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah on the right person a beard can look really good, equally it can also look really silly if it doesn't suit you.

Yeah on the right person a beard can look really good, equally it can also look really silly if it doesn't suit you.

On the flipside to that, you can have people who look really bad without a beard. Me for example, I just cannot stand how I look without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I like goatees on some people, 5 o'clock shadows on some people and beards on some people... but I find beards a turn off on a partner/potential partner..

aye KH some people do need the beard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

I used to think beards were disgusting till I ended up with a gorgeous bearded man. Now i think a good beard can be the making of a man but anything less than a good beard is tragic.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We need Sarky here.

Me, I'm basically lazy. A weekly trim is much less work than a daily shave.

Mind you, I'm going through a phase of not being much bothered what I look like. I mean, I shower and stuff, but - for example - I've been told I look ten years older with a beard, and it doesn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Personally, I prefer men with beards. I don't like goatees though because I think they look a bit boy-band-ish!

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    We need Sarky here.

We do, but in his absense, here's a guy I know from another message board:

thebeard2_small.jpg

Now that's a beard!

Faerie wrote:
    Personally, I prefer men with beards.
    /leers at Faerie

How you doin'?

:)

No, sorry don't like that beard/goatee it looks...starnge. I love his hair though! I mean look at at..It's amazing!!!

Doomspell wrote:
    No, sorry don't like that beard/goatee it looks...starnge. I love his hair though! I mean look at at..It's amazing!!!

Yes, it's definetly something special alright, he does make my hair feel inadequate. :(

To think I once used to have hair that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

id prefer the kinda sexy stubble look then a beard.possibly just because people my age cant grow them but the beard thing kinda makes me think people are hiding something

the beard thing kinda makes me think people are hiding something

Hiding something? Ah yes, because quite clearly, the chin is the window to the soul!

:rolleyes:

...the chin is the window to the soul!
    Ain't it the truth.

/strokes window to soul

id prefer the kinda sexy stubble look then a beard.possibly just because people my age cant grow them but the beard thing kinda makes me think people are hiding something

its a second head :eek:

theCzar wrote:
    its a second head :eek:

No, it's where Kuato hides! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Couldn't grow a beard to save my life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement