Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies, Its The Great Beard Debate (2006)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

oscarBravo wrote:
    We need Sarky here.

Indeed. It seems I have arrived not a moment too soon.
    TheGooner wrote:
    Beards are filthy and I have always believed that lazy men grow them (sorry)
    i'll never touch a bearded man :o
    I hate beards. I have yet to see one on a man that suits him

How dare you, madams? How dare you? When all the greatest and/or most powerful men in history have sported facial hair, one must surely call your personal taste into question. Josef Stalin? His powerful, intimidating moustache has not met its match in over 50 years. Jesus? How could you call a man that cures lepers for a living "filthy"? Fidel Castro? He can be called many things, but "lazy" is hardly one of them. Galilaeo? ZZ Top? Evil Spock?

Need I go on?

To those that say you have never seen a man with a good beard, I say this: You're not looking very bloody hard.

>_>

<_<

/me coughs and nods nonchalantly towards avatar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murrayeel

Beards are great! Makes a man really look like a MAN! :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Preference is for clean shaven.

But it really all does depend on the guy. Clean shaven might suit some people, stubble suit others, goatee others, full on beard other people. It really just depends, and I certainly wouldn't rule somebody out (as a partner, I mean) just because they had a beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Beard rash piss's me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Deer wrote:
    Beard rash piss's me off.

You get that when the beard is too short and stubbley. You need a real beard, something long, full-bodied, and soft. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Beards depend on the person, just like the length of a girl's hair, but it has to be neat. Some people like much better with a beard. Karl, for example, really suits facial hair ;)

My own preference is for a little stubble, I don't even mind the resultant beard rash ... reminds of my dad coming home from work after all night shifts when I was a little girl, he thought it was the funniest thing ever to rub it against our faces :rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Goatee .......good , Full on beard........No.

They actually creep me out a little , I think its because as a kid desperate Dan scared me a little and when I see beards I kind of think Desperate Dan.

Yea I wouldnt wanna be kissing desperate Dan :eek:

He probably has a huge penis though...

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Goatee .......good , Full on beard........No.

They actually creep me out a little , I think its because as a kid desperate Dan scared me a little and when I see beards I kind of think Desperate Dan.

Yea I wouldnt wanna be kissing desperate Dan :eek:

That doesn't make sense. Desperate Dan never had a full on beard, he just had stubble:

despdan1.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh f*ck he still creeps me out!!

I dunno I just associate beards with Desperate Dan and dont really like them for that reason :confused:

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I dunno I just associate beards with Desperate Dan and dont really like them for that reason :confused:

You're funny in the head.

How about my beard so?

Ya wouldnt be the first person to say that to me Karl ;)

Your beard..........Ya its grand :o {Awkward beard related silence } .........Nice Iced Earth tshirt .

Ah no the beard suits you , Nice.

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ya wouldnt be the first person to say that to me Karl ;)

Nor the last?
    OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Your beard..........Ya its grand :o {Awkward beard related silence } .........Nice Iced Earth tshirt .

Ah no the beard suits you , Nice.

Thanks, it is a very beardly beard, not like desperate Dan at all. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Yes, it's definetly something special alright, he does make my hair feel inadequate.

To think I once used to have hair that long.
    Oh really:rolleyes: Ever thought about letting it grow again? Or do you prefere it shorter.
    Hiding something? Ah yes, because quite clearly, the chin is the window to the soul!

:rolleyes:

Ah yes, the wisdom shines through a man with a beard.

Doomspell wrote:
    Oh really:rolleyes: Ever thought about letting it grow again? Or do you prefere it shorter.

I'm letting it grow as we speak, couldn't stand it short. I shaved it for charity you see.

• Advertisement

I'm impressed! Well done to you mate, post a pic when it's long again. Would love to see what it looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Every man should grow some sort of facial hair at least once in their lives. Otherwise, they'll be on their deathbed, thinking,"why didn't I grow a beard when I had the chance? Why,God,Wh.....". Is that something you want to happen you? Is it? No thought not :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

il gatto wrote:
    Every man should grow some sort of facial hair at least once in their lives. Otherwise, they'll be on their deathbed, thinking,"why didn't I grow a beard when I had the chance? Why,God,Wh.....". Is that something you want to happen you? Is it? No thought not :|

Exactly! This is actually me second attempt, I tried last year while hiking the inca trail (where better) but had to abort after 3 weeks when I got back for a job interview!

Make beard growing your life's work and live on handouts from the public who support you and appreciate what you're doing. I see many people doing this. Either that or they're just beggers, who rarely wash, let alone shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Facial hair makes me want to hurl. Huge chunks of it at high velocity. Repulsive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hmm, well despite above, I've been thinking about it too...I grow a 5 o'clock shadow in a week, but have never left it for more than a week or two, just to see what it looks like...to me, mine goes into longer stuble, rather than actual "hair" for a couple of weeks...how long, in general, does it take for a full on beard to grow on the average man?

I was thinking of keeping it mostly off my neck to just under my chin and shaving to below the cheek-bones so kind of down the sides, up and around the mouth down the chin, but not to the neck...hmm, what does that sound like?

Girls, post pics of beards/long stuble you like (and please no Bradd Pitt...unfortunatly, I'm not that good looking)

il gatto wrote:

Nicely said. Everyone should do it. That way, those it suits may continue to sport handsome facial hair, and those it does not suit will know never to so shame the rest of us again.
    Miss Fluff wrote:
    Facial hair makes me want to hurl. Huge chunks of it at high velocity. Repulsive.

If you dislike it so much, make sure you shave regularly. Let vigilance be your watchword!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nick wrote:
    I grow a 5 o'clock shadow in a week
    :eek: I grow a 5 o'clock shadow by 11am...

(There's a reason I grew a beard!)
    Nick wrote:
    how long, in general, does it take for a full on beard to grow on the average man?
    3-4 weeks should give you a good idea what a full beard looks like. Then you can start shaping.

Or not, as in my case.

Nick wrote:
    Hmm, well despite above, I've been thinking about it too...I grow a 5 o'clock shadow in a week, but have never left it for more than a week or two, just to see what it looks like...to me, mine goes into longer stuble, rather than actual "hair" for a couple of weeks...how long, in general, does it take for a full on beard to grow on the average man?

A week?:eek: You mean a day surely. 5 o'clock shadow is when you can start seeing individual hairs and it feels rough. If you do have a slow growing beard, it means you'll be stuck at that terrible "inbetween" stage for ages. I find the more often you shave, the faster it grows. Try shaving everyday for a while, see if it starts moving quicker.
    I think my hair growth is average. It grows quicker around my mouth. I could grow a decent shmig/goatee in 2-3 weeks. Should the need arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

il gatto wrote:
    I think my hair growth is average. It grows quicker around my mouth. I could grow a decent shmig/goatee in 2-3 weeks. Should the need arise.

Should the need arise? Like when you need to pretend to be your own evil twin! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Theres no such thing as a bad beard, as long as its not patchy with mange. I'm more interested in my sideburns at the moment though.

Miss Fluff wrote:

And yet you are wearing that top today?

theCzar wrote:
    Should the need arise? Like when you need to pretend to be your own evil twin! :D

It's not like it hasn't happened before :D

Ah. Sideburns. I had the Supergrass type for a few months, back about 8-9 years ago. They were really funny when you looked in the mirror. One day though, I looked in the mirror and just thought "You twat!". Shaved them there and then. Still, I have a hankering......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stubble - fashioned stubble - is good. All the ladies like it. :cool:

However, I don't find many women like full blown beards...or messy stubble either. Course, there are those that do, but just generally speaking from my interaction with women and.....my facial hair

Would also depend big time on the guy as well though....some people just can't sport a beard!

Havok with stubble

Havok without stubble (and a strange look on his face)

Which is better? :D

edit: Sideburns - now they look good on most people! Maybe that's just me...(and I'm talking small sideburns btw - not huge massive ones that descend into your neck)

another edit: ah yes the goatee - that one, I like, if it weren't for the fact that the hair on my face grows at a normal rate, apart from around my mouth, where is virtually does not grow at all - strange, but eh...what can a young gentleman do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by Karl Hungus:
    I'm letting it grow as we speak, couldn't stand it short. I shaved it for charity you see.

Quite admirable.
    You're now #5 in my All time fav boardsies list by that comment!
    And your beard is quite nice. Suits you.

Hugs,

L

Well i usually have a goatee and very nice funky sideburns, however having not shaved for two days i shaved just my neck today and this is the result. (was just too lazy to have full shave!)
    25082006001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

I hate beards. I have yet to see one on a man that suits him
    what about santa claus?

I'm a handsome b*stard ^see above^ but i look like i have "special needs" without my facial hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by 6th
    I'm a handsome b*stard ^see above^ but i look like i have "special needs" without my facial hair.

Ha! That is funny!
    Hubby feels the same way about his chin when bare.
    Family trait that carrys on.

hugs,

L

Nice to se my image stunned you all in to silence ...... continue to admire my facial hair in awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

while i don't think it's much of a beard, i do prefer facial hair on myself, i hate to be clean shaven.

And i have been told that i look better ''bearded''. But it does get itchy after a while, and i usually shave it when i shave my head (with the clippers, not razor).

moi

Badday.jpg

I will not tolerate people copying my pose!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I quite like beards. My boyfriend uses the Prince shaving cream from Lush to tidy himself up a bit. But it also works as a stubble softener so it makes his goatee beardy thing all soft and nice.

Sarky wrote:
    /me coughs and nods nonchalantly towards avatar

Thats your beard!!!

wow

Yes. Although The googley eyes were only a temporary measure.

• Advertisement

Now that my friends, that is a beard:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Love beards. They are sex-ay. In fact, I started a similar thread to this one on AH not long ago.

Don't like the big bushy Brian Blessed type beards though (as mentioned by Robbo, who I wish would post more often as he's one of Boards' funniest people! What's with the random-post-every-few-weeks, Robbo?)

Advertisement