Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videos about atheism

Options
  • 19-08-2006 1:34am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just saw this on youtube, I would like to see more videos about things like this, I do find them ever so interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU&mode=related&search=?

What do you think of it? I will refrain from my musings about it for now.

Anybody have any interesting videos I would like to watch? :)
    They don't have to be 'correct, just interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I just saw this on youtube, I would like to see more videos about things like this, I do find them ever so interesting.

Thanks Tar. Very enjoyable. I never realized that Superman was one too.
    Now I am impressed by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLkRcQcwk0

You know, I can't tell if it's taking the piss out of atheists or theists (or both!) - a sign of good comedy perhaps - but I like it :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

ah youtube the new wikipedia for those of us with too much bandwidth and that are too lazy to read!

Some of the responses to the atheist video are gas, I'll see if I can find some more good atheist ones tho...

I found some long ones on google video, this might be worth a look.
    Its nearly 2 hours long tho so be warned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Watch that before - Carl Sagan is my hero. :)
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Thanks Tar. Very enjoyable. I never realized that Superman was one too.
    That is surprising. I heard most people on Krypton were Baptists. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Anybody have any interesting videos I would like to watch? :)
    They don't have to be 'correct, just interesting.

its good... I don't if naming a load of scientist and famous people really does that much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, I'll look at those videos when I get the chance.
    its good... I don't if naming a load of scientist and famous people really does that much
    It's just interesting, fool does not even mean fool in a low iq sense in that passage of the bible.
    There are errors in logic in the video, but I like it.

I'm not going to link to it but on youtube if you search for passion and atheist you will find the 'atheist' version of 'The Passion of the Christ'.

I haven't a religious bone in my body, and yet I found the video strangely disturbing.

I must say - don't go and search for it and watch it if you think you will be offended. My intention is not to offend anybody or trick anyone into watching it.

Any comments on it? Is it funny? Is it just very bad taste? Does it have a message that outweighs its possible offence?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ok, Yours will be the first I watch, I see why you didn't link! :eek:

Dude, this video is totally offensive to anyone who loves and remembers Spartacus. Or at least, I think someone might be offended by it. Which, y'know, makes it dangerous, or something. Maybe I should call the DHS.
    Lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM

Just found this on youtube. He makes a very good argument against religions as a whole.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM

Just found this on youtube. He makes a very good argument against religions as a whole.

I quite enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it. He does make some very good points, it seems so obvious when you look at it his way.

Jonathan Miller's - A brief history of disbelief
    Part 1 59 mins

I can't find parts 2 & 3 at the moment.

pH wrote:
    I'm not going to link to it but on youtube if you search for passion and atheist you will find the 'atheist' version of 'The Passion of the Christ'.

Any comments on it? Is it funny? Is it just very bad taste? Does it have a message that outweighs its possible offence?
    I watched it and I'm sorry I did.
    It's no wonder "atheists" are considered in a bad light by so many when they are (wrongly) associated with sh*t like this.

It's no wonder "atheists" are considered in a bad light by so many when they are (wrongly) associated with sh*t like this.

Interesting that you didn't find any humour at all in it.

What I found thought-provoking was that it is all footage from a praised (from a Christian pov) movie just with added music. No commentary, no mocking, nothing you haven't seen and yet the result screams 'blasphemy' and disrespect.

JM's history of disbelief is well worth a watch though!

pH wrote:
    Interesting that you didn't find any humour at all in it.

What I found thought-provoking was that it is all footage from a praised (from a Christian pov) movie just with added music. No commentary, no mocking, nothing you haven't seen and yet the result screams 'blasphemy' and disrespect.
    Putting aside the fact that its meant to represent many peoples' God - it's still making light of a guy getting horribly tortured to death.

But it's really the association with atheism that grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I'd 100% agree with this. I had to turn it off half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I'd 100% agree with this. I had to turn it off half way through.

Then I won't waste my time watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I lol'ed :/

Don't take it so seriously ;)

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I lol'ed :/

Don't take it so seriously ;)
    Hmmm. I think you're missing the point. To me this is a gory movie with stupid music, but to a Christian this video is incredibly offensive. I care about the negative perception Christians have of atheists (possibly in the same way a politician cares about what his electorate think of him), and therefore am unhappy to see it labelled as an atheist movie. The notions of atheism, free-thought, humanism - whatever - are damaged by association. I won't lose sleep over it, but it's worth a minor rant IMO.

As people commented, it has nothing got to do with atheis, it's poorly titled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I'm not going to link to it but on youtube if you search for passion and
    > atheist you will find the 'atheist' version of 'The Passion of the Christ'.
    > I haven't a religious bone in my body, and yet I found the video
    > strangely disturbing. [...] Any comments on it?

I presume this is the one with the Benny Hill music? Well, as The Atheist says, yes, I think most christians would find it offensive and its name should not be linked with "atheism".

However, I wonder how many people found Gibson's film over the top? I don't recall many christians getting upset about its own two hours of repetitive and gratuitous violence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Hmmm. I think you're missing the point. To me this is a gory movie with stupid music, but to a Christian this video is incredibly offensive. I care about the negative perception Christians have of atheists (possibly in the same way a politician cares about what his electorate think of him), and therefore am unhappy to see it labelled as an atheist movie. The notions of atheism, free-thought, humanism - whatever - are damaged by association. I won't lose sleep over it, but it's worth a minor rant IMO.

I couldn't agree more with you. I didn't find it amusing, but ironic how different it is with music and editing of the oringinal content. A similar video was done with the Shining, showing a trailer for a happy family movie.

I fail to see why it's got to be labeled as an Atheist video though.

robindch wrote:
    However, I wonder how many people found Gibson's film over the top? I don't recall many christians getting upset about its own two hours of repetitive and gratuitous violence!
    I suppose it's not seen as 'gratuitous' from certain Christian perspective. It's to hammer home the message. Personally I think the Easter Bunny gives out a happier message.

That "atheist" version is as close as I want to get to ever watching the feature. I'm not saying "Down with that kind of thing", rather a review I read summed up what I suspected:
    For moviegoers who don’t share Mel Gibson’s religious agenda, it’s nothing but an unpleasant experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> It's to hammer home the message.

Yes, that's about it.

On a related topic, does anybody else find it mildly unsettling to see depictions of Jesus' corpse hanging from the walls of churches? I breezed through the catholic church in Kiev on saturday evening and couldn't help but notice that the only internal decorations visible from the front door (as far as I went), were three corpses, one of them about fifteen feet tall and the other two about two feet tall, and lusciously spattered with Mel-Gibson-style gore. Am I becoming excessively sensitive in my dotage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Keep posting the videos, lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I agree that calling it the "Atheist's Version" was ignorant and misleading. I found the video quite amusing, and frankly I have no problem grossly offending Christians, but thats my point of view, not the Atheistic point of view.
    robindch wrote:
    On a related topic, does anybody else find it mildly unsettling to see depictions of Jesus' corpse hanging from the walls of churches? I breezed through the catholic church in Kiev on saturday evening and couldn't help but notice that the only internal decorations visible from the front door (as far as I went), were three corpses, one of them about fifteen feet tall and the other two about two feet tall, and lusciously spattered with Mel-Gibson-style gore. Am I becoming excessively sensitive in my dotage?

I hadn't been inside a church for years, not since I was a wee one. Then I had a funeral to attend, and I very nearly started laughing at my own grandmother's funeral when it struck me how absolutely absurd it all was. There was a big bloody jesus hanging above us, the priest was mummbling about eternal life this and other dimension that and I felt like turning to my mother, my father, my cousins, these people who seemed so normal and sane, grab them and shake them and ask "Do you seriously believe what he's saying?! You think you're going to another dimension when you die, that that guy died to to assuage mankind's sins? You actually think that you, personally, sister who I see everyday eating toast and watching TV, you think you're going to live forever with a magic being on another plane of existence when you die?" You, who scoff if you see Most Haunted on TV because ghosts are "bullshit", you who roll your eyes if I mention the possibility of alien life on other worlds, you, honestly believe that you have an immortal soul that will travel to the God who blew up Sodom, who tortured Job, who created the universe to further glorify himself...?

Quite an upsetting moment really. Well, kinda liberating too, it really rammed home just how much of an Atheist I had become.

More evolution Vs creationism but they're still good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I didn’t watch it all – its 40 minutes ffs. I'd just take some comfort in the fact that someone’s worried enough about Godless hoards diverting the faithful from the true path to make the film. The collapse of Atheism

Advertisement