Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in the North West. Do you feel safe?

Options
  • 19-08-2006 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Do you feel less safe now than you did 5-10 years ago?
    Have you confidence in the Guards ability? (with the exception of Morris Tribunal Garda corruption)
    Are you happy to let your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend walk anywhere at night?
    Any personal expiriences with violent crime in the North West?
    Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I would feel safe generally, but not at night around Sligo. They still haven't caught the b@stard... http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2006/07/18/story28879.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I have lived in LK for nearly a year now, and have never encountered any trouble after multiple nights out at weekends and such.
    After 4 years in dublin, theres no comparison, and its such a relief to live in a (my opinion) safe medium sized town.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

il gatto wrote:
    Do you feel less safe now than you did 5-10 years ago?
    Have you confidence in the Guards ability? (with the exception of Morris Tribunal Garda corruption)
    Are you happy to let your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend walk anywhere at night?
    Any opinions appreciated.

I have had no experiences of violent crime and I wouldn't think twice about going out anywhere in the North West at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Madge wrote:
    I would feel safe generally, but not at night around Sligo. They still haven't caught the b@stard... http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2006/07/18/story28879.asp

Wow I've not heard anything at all about that. Won't be taking that apartment in the market yard I think! :(

I would feel alot safer in Sligo than anywhere else, Probably because I know so many people there. I know the areas to avoid and the people to avoid. Though I hate Sligo by night, always have. I wouldn't go walking anywhere on my own anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Interesting response. Anyone else have a view on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I work in town and on a few occassions had to ring guards. They couldn't care less. A certain element of people in this town get away with murder. Literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i was assaulted as a kid when i was 13 in front of a guard, badly beaten up.
    his excuse that day was that he couldn't intervene because the traffic he was directing on the road nearby was very bad.
    the real reason was because he was afraid of the family the guy beating me up belonged to.

3 years ago, i was assaulted because i didn't want to talk to a group of thugs who were drinking & giving me hassle, i went to the station & nobody was there.
    about 20 minutes later, i was assaulted again (after i had rang letterkenny gardai, they said without any concern "ring ballybofey")
    the second time, the group of men came to my house, smashed windows, busted my head open with an iron bar & assaulted my brother aswell as threatened to burn my house down.

i was later kicked out by my parents because of arguements & ended up in letterkenny homeless.
    there was never any court case, or consequences for those who beat me up.

many *many* other experiences with guards have left me with an extremely low opinion of them.
    if i'm to be honest, i would say they are overpaid, underworked..really a bunch of XXXXXXXXXXX

when i have a problem now, i don't even think of them..except how useless they are.

from what i can tell, the majority of people who join the gardai do so because the job offers them a secure financial future..they are not interested in solving crimes.

they just want the money, and who can blame them, when they get paid so bloody much for doing very little.

were gardai better 10-15 years ago?
    they were probably better at dealing with younger kids, but overall, they were no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

many *many* other experiences with guards have left me with an extremely low opinion of them.
    if i'm to be honest, i would say they are overpaid, underworked..really a bunch of XXXXXXXXXXX

the words 'worthless' & XXXXXXX' are not obscene are they?
    i gave an opinion, do you expect boards.ie to be prosecuted for a member giving an opinion?

how many people would disagree with my opinion..that, you know who, are truly worthless?

ok, here are some more politically correct words (relevant to..you know who)which every parent can explain to their children, who don't actually know what they mean already anyway.

incompetent
    apathetic
    useless
    obsolete
    condescending
    worthless..

worthless:lacking in usefulness or value; "a worthless idler"

which is what they do.
    i'd better be careful, because WE ALL KNOW WHO THEY ARE

to realise just how worthless an organisation it is, get a local newspaper, ok?
    then look at the court cases in them..you see mostly public order offences, little simple stuff like "drunk & disorderly" or "driving without insurance"..that kind of rubbish that you wouldn't wipe your XXXX with.

it almost convinces you that there is "no real serious crime" in donegal, that everyone is so innocent, that we only have public order offences.

people like Xxxx XxXxx who runs Xxxxxxxxxx Hotel can block the roads anytime they want, drive while drunk, make abusive & threatening comments & get away with it because they can afford a top lawyer & they are too stupid to do anything about it.

i walk the street at night, except at weekends, like saturday night when the street is full of drunk people who have nothing better to do except talk out of their back orifice & annoy anyone that looks vulnerable.

i wouldn't be happy about any girl walking the street alone at night.
    those girls who were raped, & young guy i knew killed..who was punished for that? NOBODY.

i'm always waiting for some bogman (fed on calf nuts his whole life) or XXXXXXXXX to say something.

thing is now, with the "fleadh" on..i'll be staying in doors for most of it.
    last year..it was nothing but a drinking session on the street.

thats a good night out in letterkenny? :p
    excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

the words 'worthless' & XXXXXXX' are not obscene are they?
    i gave an opinion, do you expect boards.ie to be prosecuted for a member giving an opinion?
    The answer to both questions is yes.

Average Joe, your input to the forum is welcomed and you are more than capable of making your point without colourful comments so I would appreciate it if you keep it country as they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

I generally feel safe in the NW (despite having my car broken into in Sligo Towna couple of years ago and having my passport stolen - stupid of me to leave it in the car anyway).

I don't think Sligo (or NW) is worse than anywhere else, and as far as the guards are concerned, I wouldn't really want to judge them, you have some who do a damned good job and others who are plain sh**e, all in all I wouldn't want their job.

Having been living in a big city the last few years, the stories I hear about crime in the NW don't really shock me, maybe it's a case of me just becoming numb to hearing about crime or not wanting to accept that my hometown could be considered "dangerous", I don't know, but Sligo is my home and I still feel safe there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think peoples views will be coloured by their exporsure to crime. It also depends on your social circle and your work enviroment, whether you hear about the crime which goes unreported in local media. If you don't see it and it's not covered in the media, I suppose it's logical that people tend to feel safe.

Advertisement